BIG drama today

ollypenrice

Sorry the pic is not very good but the dynamic range was huge and I should havd taken three exposure levels to combine instead of just two. However, what a spectacle this morning! Stunning sights.

I am working on another big detatched prom on the opposite side and will post when it's done.

Olly

JUNE-6-2011-L.jpg

EDIT

Meanwhile on the other side this was going on! What a day. Both images processed with guest Paul Kummer.

JUNE-6-IMAGE-2-L.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what's more fascinating, what's going on in that image or the fact you had clear enough sky to take it. (Been pretty dull here since sunday...)

Stunning pics :)

Just how long do these events take, roughly? Do they develop over days, hours, minutes?

The scale seems to be measured in hours for the large proms. The larger and fainter they are the more rapidly they fade so when I see a big one like this I get at it straight away. Within an hour and a half the detached one had pretty much faded.

They looked terrific in the EP if you are not an imager.

Olly

That's part of the excitement of solar observing - it's dynamic. No hour or day is the same. Constantly changing. You don't see that with any other astronomical object - the Moon, Planets or DSO's.....

Archived