Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from South wales

Morlew

Hi all, my son and I have been watching the night sky for a little while now and think it's about time to upgrade.

We are pondering a 200p and moving towards astro photography.

So,That's why I'm here To pick the brains of the experts.

Jon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jon,

Croeso I SGL. The 200p is a fine scope and would give you years of service. Before venturing into imaging do get a book called 'making every photon count' this will save you cash in the long run. Also go to your local astro club meets and see what others have and what may suit you best.

Hwyl!

Hi Jon and welcome to the forum. Regarding your interest in imaging (astrophotography) you might want to consider posting one or two questions over on the imaging sections as to what would be the best equipment to help you get started. If you take a look at the equipment lists that people post underneath their comments, you can also work out what appears to work for them as evidence by their images. Book wise, I would strongly suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" which is a comprehensive guide to imaging and it will help you save money by ensuring you avoid buying the wrong kit. Telescopes that are great for observing aren't necessarily the best for imaging and depending on the type of imaging you do (video - moon/planets, widefield - terrestrial detail used in night sky images or deep sky imaging - imaging galaxies/nebulae etc ) the equipment list might well include the use of precise (read expensive) mounts as well that are able to track objects for long enough period of time to be able to collect enough data to construct a final image. The 200P is an excellent scope by the way and is also the U.K's most popular too and for good reason, easy to use and quick to set up, lots of aperture for your bucks and easily transportable to dark sites away from urban illumination. The scopes imaging capability is limited hence my suggestion of the book and further research in the imaging section of the forum but that said, the 200P will most definitely provide you with a lot of fun both now and for some time to come.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hello John and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. I hope you and your son have a great time with your new hobby and also with the new friends you have found here on this wonderful forum.

I have been through many months of pondering and questioning and I have finally settled on an 8" Newtonian on a goto mount, so not too dissimilar to what you are thinking about.

All the best

Bob

Archived