Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all from Scotland

FLECKYRFC

Hi all @ SGL.

My names Mark and i come from a small town called Beith in Ayrshire, Scotland.

I've always been into the night sky since an early age, but only recently I've started to push into Star Gazing more.

So far, I only have Binos to view the night sky, but in a few weeks I'm hoping to get my hands on the SkyWatcher 130. I think this is a decent Telescope to start at and i'm sure it can only fuel my hobby :)

Well about me... I'm into flying Quadcopters and recently flying with FPV. I also enjoy 3D Printers and to date, i have built two RepRaps. I'm also a very keen PC gamer, and most of the time that's where you'll find me. last year i invaded the family garage and have claimed it as a victory for man and claimed it as my very own man cave :)

can't wait to get started and i hope to speak to many of you, as i'm sure i'll be asking quite a few questions, so please be a little patient with me :)

Cheers

Mark.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL from a Glaswegian star gazer. At least you should have reasonably dark skies out Beith way

Hey there laudropb. Yeah, i have to admit the skies are not too bad at all when the weather permits. Being in Glasgow, i take it there is an issue with light pollution?

Hi Mark

Welcome to SGl, not a gamer now but used to work for Imagine. If you are into retro you will know them.

Hi damnut. Those would be the gaming days of my Commodore Vic 20 :)

I remember going to the library when i was a kid to get a BASIC language book and spend 3 hours creating a game only to find that the wee geeky guy before me ripped out the last page :D

Hi damnut. Those would be the gaming days of my Commodore Vic 20 :)

I remember going to the library when i was a kid to get a BASIC language book and spend 3 hours creating a game only to find that the wee geeky guy before me ripped out the last page :D

Hi Mark and welcome to SGL! You've come to the right place to learn all about amature astronomy and astro imaging because there's a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from the friendly folks on this forum.

Didn't think there was anyone still around that remembered the Vic 20. Had one myself and used to get those PC magazines with pages and pages of code you could type in to create primitive stick-figure video games that moved really, really slow! Spent hours typing them in just to see if I could make it work but never used them much after that. Then I "upgraded" to the Commodore 64 which was a real powerhouse of a home computer back in those days.

Since then we've gone from ping pong games where the ball took forever to reach the other side - to capturing amazing digital images of deep sky objects (some millions of light years away) that we can't even see with our own eyes   :smiley:  

Pretty amazing stuff  - so best of luck in this fascinating hobby and clear skies...

Hi and welcome

All this talk of computers of a bygone age brings back happy memories. Amazing that the last forty years have seen computers come so far and we are using them for images of light that left it's home millions of years ago

Archived