NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

used gear.

Im in need of a small astrophotography ready telescope but have a tight budget. Used equipment is appealing but I need to know if an investment in a used item is worthwhile even with no warranty or returns. Thanks for the help.

Astronomers tend to look after their kit so 2nd hand is often a good way to go.

Look out for the Skywatcher ED80, they have an excellent following. It will need an EQ5 motorised mount at the very least.

Also get a copy of 'Make every photon count', it is proably the best book around on astro photography.

Buying used makes a lot of sense. I buy a mixture of new and used, I've only ever bought three new scopes and far more used. You need to be careful, ask plenty of questions and get photos. If you feel at all uneasy just back away. It is normally easy to tell genuine enthusiasts who look after their kit. I tend to avoid 'I'm selling in behalf of' ads.

AstroBuySell is a good place to buy used kit from.

Good used kit in excellent condition tends to fetch between 60 and 70% of new price, less if there is any significant damage or wear.

Stu

A used HEQ-5 mount is the smallest "future proof" mount I would go for when it comes to AP. They are immensly popular, and since people get the upgrade fever sooner or later there is a healthy second hand market for them. Scope isnt as important, you can use a cheap newton, a decent ED-refractor or even a camera lens to start out with, thet mount however, is way more important.

BUT, you've got to ask yourself if some things are worth spending months trawling the ads as they hold their value so well.

ST80s, ED80s, Equinox 80

Although you loose 25%-40% of their value the moment you open their packaging. Those are typical values of equipment on the used market.

95% of all my kit was bought on the used market - I'd never be able to afford it otherwise !

In the USA (where the original poster is) the main astro equipment classifieds are on Astromart and the Cloudynights forums. The former makes a charge for membership. Here are the web addresses:

http://www.astromart.com/

http://www.cloudynights.com/

Generally astro stuff is usually well looked after. I have bought my mount and eyepieces second hand and never had a problem. My scope was new but only because I was having difficulties locating one second hand and even new still represented good value.

Astro buy sell is a good source of used kit or you can try the classifed section here. For expensive kit always ask for pay pal with fees for anything under £50 I generally don't bother.

If in doubt ask plenty of questions, for pictures etc, you can always meet up with the seller or ask to speak on the phone before parting with any cash.

Hope that helps - good luck

Ben

Im in need of a small astrophotography ready telescope but have a tight budget. Used equipment is appealing but I need to know if an investment in a used item is worthwhile even with no warranty or returns. Thanks for the help.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing used telescopes as most serious imagers look after their gear with a passion. There are only two areas of concern. 1) Make sure the optics are clean, free from fungus and scratches and there are no nasty dings on the tube in partnear the lens cell. 2) Make sure the focuser is smooth in operation without any slack or sagging.

A.G

Take care on the 2nd market. Astro buy and sell is good, as are the classifieds here. Be careful on ebay, the stuff I've bought has been cash on collection . If there's something that I don't like it is soon pointed out !

Telescope outlet also does returned stuff with warranties.

I could not afford a shed load of old gear if I had to buy it new . Beware though, some things ( refractors) can be addictive ,

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

you do need to pay for membership on astromart, but well worth the cost.  Herb has some policies that are.. unpopular.. but the site is well policed as a result.

I've bought almost everything i have used from astromart.

UK Astro Buy & Sell costs nothing to buy or sell on and is an excellent source of used gear in Europe.

Many Astromart sellers simply won't ship outside the USA unfortunately plus, here in the UK, we would have to pay import duty etc which can add 25% to the costs.

True. Unfortunately (for me) UK AstroBuyAndSell blocks non-UK IP addresses.  There are some pretty good deals on there (like the 350 UKP GPDX I saw...) but I only ever get to see them when I'm in the UK.. which is once in a couple years.   :lipsrsealed:

I buy almost everything second hand. As John says it is the only way I can afford to get kit of the quality I have. I have 16 eyepieces (2 were new), 5 scopes (all used) and two mounts (both used).

There is not a lot to go wrong with most items and astronomers usually look after their kit. If there is no obvious damage and you ask questions about the condition you are unlikely to have a problem.

Second hand stuff is great.   4 eyepieces, a vixen tripod, some binoviewers.  That was £500 difference between new prices and what was paid.  A nice way to try stuff and you never loose when selling on again of you change you mind about your set up.   

Posting from the asteroid belt? ;)

No, but it seems like all the good stuff is near there!  Well, ok, I may have exaggerated the distance a little bit, but I'm saved by the fact that a bazillion is not a real number, so I can say something smart about complex numbers and imaginary and real parts and have it point to somewhere north of Manchester...

Archived