NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My observatory has no roof

sharkmelley

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about that, Mark. Hope at least your astro kit will all be okay and hopefully something can be done with the roof.

I was out for an hour trying to patch up fence panels in the peak of the winds and rain earlier today, sounds like Round 2 is starting in earnest out there now :eek:

Keep safe, folks.

Sorry to hear about the roof Mark - hoping all your gear that was inside is undamaged, but most importantly thankfully nobody was in the flight-path of the roof when it flew off.

What method were you using to secure the roof? 

Amazing. I hope that can be recovered and that you removed your valuable kit before the storm hit.

It's been very stormy here too and the lads at the water board have been up all night pumping water to avoid the houses down the road from flooding. (the sewerage system gets overwhelmed, nice!). The pump generators have been running all night and is still running now. Those lads are going to be exhausted tomorrow!!!

Sorry to see that and I hope you can fix the roof.

These apex roofs are shaped like an aircraft wing, so no wonder they just lift off in strong winds.

I'm glad I incorporated r3i's captive mechanism in mine. It has held up well so far ...

Yikes. Thats not a good sight to behold.

I lay in bed last night listening to the wind howling and worrying about my roof. Fortunately it was still on this AM. Ive been out and ratchet-strapped it down to the pier. This won't do the polar alignment any good, but if it lifts off then it has to take the pier with it!

Power came back on at 3pm this afternoon, so here's an update.

I lashed the roof to the main observatory framwork as best I could with rope.  I was awake all night until the winds died at 4am, checking it every so often.  The structure broke apart quite significantly.  This morning I dismantled it and put a tarpaulin over the roofless shed.  Mopped up all the water inside.

Equipment is all drying out and I'm hoping no permanent damage.  Scopes were OK - just a little water inside the C11.  Haven't switched the mounts or laptops on until completely dry.

Here's a pic from this morning:
post-19658-0-05953400-1387900459_thumb.j

I'm still amazed that the wind managed to lift it and break it free of the runners.  Next time I have a roof, I will securely clamp the roof trusses themselves to the shed structure.

Mark

Archived