Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Haze

JamesC

What's with this haze. It's awful. Any time it's been clear over the last couple of weeks it's been really hazy with it. Air pollution from eastern Europe? I'm itching to get a good view of the spring galaxies, but although it seems clear the haze is extra extra bad. I can barely make out the hills from my window and the sun almost disappeared into the haze when it was setting. Can't see myself going out tonight. Oh for some clear air.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what's causing it but I have the same problem.

I've had to focus (no pun intended !) on Saturn and binary stars lately because of that - deep sky objects have been a bit of a washout, even with my 10" scope.

What's with this haze. It's awful. Any time it's been clear over the last couple of weeks it's been really hazy with it. Air pollution from eastern Europe? I'm itching to get a good view of the spring galaxies, but although it seems clear the haze is extra extra bad. I can barely make out the hills from my window and the sun almost disappeared into the haze when it was setting. Can't see myself going out tonight. Oh for some clear air.

Yep, here in Manchester as well, wanted to do a bit of imaging tonight of them spring Galaxies, think the best we are going to get up here is stella, Open and Globular Clusters, and binaries, thats about it.

I found I could still pick out planetary nebulae, some bright clusters and some doubles through the haze, and found last night that a narrowband filter enhanced the contrast on hazey PNs more than usual. Sticking to high up objects helps too...galaxies are a write off though.

of course...once you're upgraded to full cloud it's time to pack up

Better to be of the mindset that a clear sky is merely a very preveliged glimpse to he beyond. After all, we do live under an active atmosphere and kinda need it to stay that way lol.

Matt

I managed to get until 10pm before it clouded over :D, it was really bad, anything below the level of procyon was haze, did have a good look at the intergalactic wanderer NGC 2419 near the zenith in lynx :). Amazing, it's in a 3 billion year orbit around are Galaxy.

we do live under an active atmosphere and kinda need it to stay that way

Oh no, just think of the business opportunities for selling oxygen if we had the atmosphere removed ... gotta be economic growth in there somewhere :D

Ditto in East Mids last night, popped out several times to check conditions but too hazy to bother setting up:(

This blocking high pressure system is to blame (moving east at the mo), combined with a very dry month, some rain will improve the visibility of the celestial dome a treat and we are scheduled to get lots v.soon:) If you are currently at a star party I guess that isn't what you wanted to hear:(

Fingers x-ed for clear skies soon;)

To think how much interest was generated from "Stargazing Live". Then think how bad the nights have been for cloud, price hikes on telescopes and haze upsetting the clear nights we do have, it's a wonder any beginners bothered joined the hobby. I've been having my doubts and I know how much I enjoy it when we have a good nights seeing. I can only assume there will soon be an influx of secondhand "used only once" telescopes on eBay as the newbies lose faith.

Archived