Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello everyone, from Cheshunt HERTS

12inchDoB

Hi everyone,,

It's good to see so many people interested!

My name is Stuart, im from Cheshunt/Cuffley just north of London..

My 7 year old Son is doing a project in school about astronomy and i told him about the 12" Dobsonian (Reflector)? Telescope that had been sitting in our garage under sheets for the last 10 years!

I got it out to show him the Moon on the 19th March and after a 4 hour house hunt for my 25mm Plossl & 7.5mm Sirius lense, i set it up and showed him.. I forgot how hooked i was and how much i loved stargazing. I started searching forums and here i am :hello2:

As you know, i have an old 12" dob, the main mirror is in a bad way but i was still able to view the moon.. I will look into getting it recoated soon as my son is constantly asking to see the rings of saturn and the black spot on Jupiter etc etc..

I can only find 2 of the 3 lenses, i have lost my barlow lens and filters so will have to replace them..

Anyway, look forward to asking you all loads of questions as i want to start taking some pictures and need advice on setup..

Regards

Stu :hello2:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Guys,

Just spent 30 mins on Stellarium!

That is some brilliant software, and free!

I will have to get back into it.. Telescopes have improved dramatically.. all wires coming out of them lol.. i still use good old arm movements.

Need to get some lenses aswell but not sure what im looking at..

Welcome Stu!

It's amazing what one can find sitting in our garage under sheets! Unfortunately for me, this does NOT include a 12" dob. Mind you I can't complain since my hisband surprised me with a 10" on my birthday 2 years ago.

Congratulations on re-awakening your passion for the stars. I wish you many clear nights with your son!

Isabelle

Archived