SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M65, M66 & NGC 3628, Leo Triplet

mftoet

From March 4 - 11, 2011 I stayed with Olly Penrice at Les Granges, France. I got 5 clear nights out of 7 nights. A good score!

Yesterday I finished processing the Leo Triplet of which I gathered 8 hours of data in total. I'm very pleased with the result. It really pays to gather a lot of data.

When it was 00h30 last night, I stopped tweaking and playing with it (my alarm went off this morning at 05h00 :)). I might have another look at it this evening for some finishing touches.

post-20224-133877547401_thumb.jpg

Full details and the full resolution image can be found at:

www.dutchdeepsky.com/leotriplet_110310.html

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sensational quality, one of the most perfect astrophotos I've ever seen. You really do have to visit the high res version to see how good this is.

I think your decision to go with 15 minute luminance subs has paid off really well. Not many people do that but you can bet that I will copying the idea! The faint outer parts of the galaxy and the tidal tail are so smooth.

Olly

Thanks for all the kind replies! You can imagine I'm also very happy with the result. This was taken with a 15 cm (~6") f/6 Sigler Maksutov-Cassegrain of INTES. Unfortunately, INTES no longer exits. It's a great scope, expect for original the focuser that I replaced with a feather touch.

Archived