NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looks like the forum will be dead tonight :)

malc-c

Just got in from a couple of hours outside under the clear skies of the Kent coast.

As is becoming the norm for me, can't find M51 for the lfe of me, but had a good first view of M35 then watched Saturn for a good hour.....does Stellarium acurately show the moons positions? If so I could make out Dione too.

Also earlier in the evening got a quick look at Jupiter and my first look at the moon. Great to see some detail of the craters etc, and I'm really looking forward to a good lunar viewing when there is more than the thinnest sliver to look at!

Cold and tired now, but another great night for me.

Have fun everyone!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another me too! Been out for about 3 hours. Saw Saturn for first time as a planet, if I saw it before would have thought it a star. Got it first on my 200 dob, then had it tracked on the 4SE. just about to check if the webcam pics picked anything decent. Bring on cloudless nights and warm pls.

Just came in from 3 hours outside gazing up. A bit hazy but nice to see some familiar asterisms!

Watching the news about Discovery's final journey, with James T kirk doing the special voice-over to the Star Trek theme!

Terrifically clear down hear early evening, got a bit murky later on though then had to get to bed for a 5am start today.

Loving the 14" in these conditions, it may be a pain to move around but once setup it's worth all the hassle. No luck with M79, sadly - just too low for my location. I need to catch it before it transits, where there's a gap in the treeline that's enough to bag M93.

Clear all night and still clear this morning.

Early on the moon looked great. Filled the view with my Nagler and I could make out loads of features on the earthshine side. Best view was at x181 with the 13mm LVW - Petavius had lots of floor detail.

Back out tonight for some more :)

Altair, I think quite a few people managed to see the shuttle last night. It was ahead of the ISS and they made a fantastic pair heading across the sky. Not an overhead pass like some recently but great still. Sorry you missed it. I think there may be a shuttle pass tonight further ahead of ISS but not sure.

Good luck!

Stu

Best night ever, Saturn, M51 and the Leo galaxies all really clear :)

Same here, I started out with some clusters near sirius whilst the night vision kicked in, then took in half a dozen galaxies in leo, after a quick break to warm up it was saturn, a few globs and a final galaxy in ursa major.

I was unable to see M101 - I was in exactly the right place, but it must be too diffuse to see from my garden.

Great night though

It's clear here in Taunton but boy is it murky... just collecting some OIII subs of IC410 before turning my attention to M81/82 for some Ha... hopefully I can get the RGB done at SGL6 as doing it here just isn't going to work...

James

You want to get them to start turning the lights off :)

I think it must have been local to Taunton though, perhaps because of all the water and being so low-lying. Ten miles away and another 110m higher up it was excellent. Very cold, mind. I think the centre of Taunton could easily be 2C warmer than here.

James

Can't beleive how lucky we are - second day in a row with wall to wall sunshine... Sky doesn't seem as clear as last night, but for those who are up for it another night of observing could well be on the cards. Alas not for me... due to family commitments I can't get out of I have to be giving it a miss tonight :)

Paul,

Just stuck my head out, and whilst there are stars, the seeing isn't good, seems hazy here in Hertfordshire. Certainly not as good as last night

I cant complain really. In the last week i have had 4 clear nights that i am aware of. There might have been more but i wasnt checking because i was doing other stuff.

Thanks Stu for your comments... glad i got to see the pic on the other thread showing the ISS and shuttle both together! Now what chance have we got of some clear skies this weekend? lol

I got fooled by the forecast too. Kit all out and set up but it got steadily worse with haze and thin cloud. Could still see a few bits including saturn later on but it wasn't very good at all :-(

Lovely clear skies last night here for a while,unfortunately i was sneaking a peak or two out the door while on nights.Clouded over in the early hours and now we have 2 inch of snow.

Archived