NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello.....

stardad

Hello Stargazers and all in the lounge. I'm James and have two very excited children that are keen to discover what's above there heads when there's no clouds about in the hours of darkness.

I've never taken much interest in what's up there so its very much the blind leading the blind that's for sure.

We don't own a telescope (yet) so our stargazing is limited to a pair of binoculars for the time being once I can work out what's the best telescope for my money and suitable for two kids under 10!

So I'm going to probably ask stupid questions and be very limited in posts helping others.

Stardad.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Welcome to SGL. There's even more excitement in learning together and as a recently retired Primary school teacher I know that children the age of yours will, given the chance, get very interested in the whole subject and will lap it up and probably overtake you! As to choice of telescopes there are many who are better able to advise than me. I am sure you will get lots of help here. Good luck.

Welcome to the SGL Forum Stardad and family.

Binoculars are a great starter tool.

Certainly no need to rush out and buy a telescope. It is prudent to take your time, and make sure you spend your money wisely.

There's a large choice out there, and please take advantage of the experience of others on the forum before you decide.

Lots of wise heads here, and all willing to help you make a choice.

Enjoy your stay.:)

Ron.

hi startdad and kids welcome to the forum a think a lot depends on your budget and how involved you want to get into it and what you want to see great that the kids are on board with ya my girl loves the scope and moans all the time that some things are to late for her to view lol and on the weekends she stays up but always falls a sleep in the end

Hi James and welcome. Binoculars are great place to start to show your kids the night sky. Lots of helpful advice and threads here to help you plan your families next steps in astronomy.

Hi James and welcome. Take some time deciding on a scope and what you and your children want from it, there's a lot of good online retailers as well, don't buy something from a camera shop/department store that promises massive magnification. Read Astro Baby's site, it's very good. Best of luck!

Archived