Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi everyone

Porl

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would say Hi and that yes Im one of the new noobs inspired from SGL :D

Well, thats not entirely true, I've always been awed by the night sky and have looked up images for years and years. I've had books on the night sky and a planesphere for 2 years but never took the plunge into buying a telescope as I was completely clueless with what to get.

Another thing with the stargazing was my girlfriend wasnt really into it as she was actually scared at the thought of space and I guess the enormousy of it. But we watched SGL together and it inspired her to look into it more. We went to a Stargazing Live event at the Leicester Space Center. And we did some searches for telescopes on the internet, I must admit we looked at a few forums but I couldnt afford to spend what some people were recommending for a first scope (£2000+) etc. So we opted for some good purchase reviews and went for a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ.

Man, we couldnt wait for it to turn up and have been out most nights looking at the moon and jupiter. We even saw the equitorial band on jupiter which we were stoked about! haha We've had to kick out the thought we're going to be seeing the sights you see everywhere from hubble etc and know we are only going to see stuff small. But actually seeing a planet with your own eye that is so so far away is mind blowing!!

Im rambling now but I just wanted to say hey and im eager to get searching around the board for more information! :icon_eek:

Im just super excited about all this and im itching for our new lenses to turn up today hopefully!

Hope to see you round the boards

Porl''

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcomes guys! :icon_eek:

Im happy to say my new lenses turned up ( i went for the celestron ones as they will go with the scope etc ) and cant wait to get out tomorrow night with the scope. Here's hoping for clear skies tomorrow night. woop! :D

Porl''

Hi Porl and welcome to the forum.

Your testimony above proves the benefit of looking through kit first before buying in order to manage expectations. It is easy to be taken in by all the expensive gear and you certainly don't need anything fancy to look at features on the the moon, and there's plenty there to keep you going for a while.

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Archived