Hi Another New Recruit

smudgeball

Hi all

Got the bug to go outside and look up !

I'm yet to decide on what scope I'm going to buy but have narrowed it down to three.

Won't bore you with the details as the search button on this site has proven extremely good for my research.:)

Hope to contribute once I get settled.

Regards

Neil

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.

Important to do the homework as there is a lot of kit out there. Can I recommend that before you buy, that you try and look through some of this kit first to make sure that it is going to meet your expectations. Your fortunate that at this time of year, many astro societies and observing clubs are holding public observing sessions that allow people to look through different types of scopes. It is a good opportunity to ask questions about the time it takes to set up, to check to see how big some of this kit is and if necessary, how easy it is to move it around.

Good scope hunting but if you need further help let us know.

Clear skies

James

Hi

Thanks for the welcome replies.

I'm a bit fortunate in as much as I have experience of what I "don't" want.

A few years back i bought a 6" newtonian unbranded telescope off that well known auction site.

It was really heavy, awkward to set up, moved a lot. Had a tripod with legs that didn't lock properly... the list goes on.

Therefore portability / setup will be number one over optics / potential targets.

I know you can't really get a scope that's good at everything.

So I'm looking at a Skywatcher Mak127, either the tracking version or goto variety or the Celestron Nexstar 5SE?

Hopefully I'll get quick set up / portability with this list.

Plus I live in the Scottish Borders and I'm only a couple of minutes drive to the middle of nowhere if I fancy taking the scope out with me.

Anyway, I need to buy one first and that will probably be next week.

Thanks

Neil

Archived