Hi!

Jake

I'm Jake and I'm from Birmingham in the UK. I was watching the BBC program Star Gazing Live last night and it all suddenly clicked.

I work and live as a Chef in the city centre, this keeps me occupied during the week. Every weekend I'm out DJing or playing music as well and don't really have a hobby apart from snooker and music.

I get through tons of books on the cosmos. I also need a hobby. So I thought it would be amazing to actually see some of the stuff that I drool over some much in text form.

I have no idea about equipment or the process of looking for stuff, but I do know constellations pretty well.

Jake,

:eek:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jake and welcome to SGL :eek:

Nice to see you inspired by the recent tv programs, and reading about the cosmos. It's a great hobby that you'll llove I'm sure, but don't forget it's mostly a night time thing and may clash with cooking and DJ'ing lol.

I'd suggest a small Newtonian to start with. A good one can be had for around £100 to £150 depending on configuration. I'd suggest a manual Skywatcher 130P (or 150P) on equatorial mount. That will give great views and the investment won't be too big if it clashes with work :)

Hi Jake and welcome to the forum. Knowing the constellations certainly gets you off to a good start. The easiest and cheapest way to get started would be to get some good binoculars to enhance your viewing experience. As far as scopes goes it very much depends on budget and what you want to look at, planets, nebula, galaxies the list goes on and some scopes are better for some of these rather than others. There isn't the perfect scope that does it all I'm afraid but some can come close. Best of luck researching though!

Clear skies

James

Archived