Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live

nebogipfel

I think he'll be fine, have a feeling he will be on best behavior. He's only there to make sure the programme attracts to a wider audience, which is good for the hobby.

Be great if they could turn it into a annual event on the lines of Autumn/Spring Watch.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the assumption being made that JR will "dumb it down"? (which is an awful expression in itself)

He did a great job with Film ** so why not this?

He is only a contributor after all

He is a brilliant broadcaster (whatever you think of him as a person) with an appeal to the masses.

A serious program about astronomy is just another Sky at Night

Why dose Ross have to be there to swell ranks, I am sure the public have enough intelligence to pick up astronomy without it being dumbed down by Aunty.

Because astronomy, as far as the general public are concerned, is right up there with train spotting and stamp collecting on the nerdy geek scale. BBC obviously feel Prof Brian needs some mainstream help to sell it to the masses. I think they maybe right. Ross and Dara can turn on their more serious side but also lighten things up.

I read that Brian Cox is hoping to attract the same viewing figures as Wonders, which means 10 million people. That would be amazing and an incredible achievement. But even if the programme is a success on that scale, I think the hobby will be lucky to skim off 0.005% of those viewers as new to the hobby.

Sorry, you all feel that astronomy needs celebrity endorsement, but I can not change my view on this, the man is an idiot, the ability to sit in front of a cinema screen then write ones opinion of a film is not that difficult, and there is always the other side, that it will actually put people off watching who might otherwise have enjoyed the programme. I fear it is a double edged sword.

I already have to suffer the inane twinkling of Harry Potter type tones through every episode of Horizon made in the last year; I do not want to have to suffer more trivialisation of yet another science programme.

I have to say I agree with the views expressed by Russ.....and I think I am right in saying that the guest presenters are amatuer astronomers as well and this can only help dispel the "geek" air that is associated with the "hobby".....well done the BBC.....finally getting something for my fee

Genuinely interested, he has books he has never read by his own admission, he has three scopes he either can not or will not use and he wants to look for Gallifrey. And using one of the easiest scopes to use on the market is too difficult. More like he is trying to get back into favour.

Genuinely interested, he has books he has never read by his own admission, he has three scopes he either can not or will not use and he wants to look for Gallifrey. And using one of the easiest scopes to use on the market is too difficult. More like he is trying to get back into favour.

lol i guess u cant please all of the people all of the time! happy new year!:(

I thought that was quite funny and entertaining.

I thought it was a great angle for the program - Wossy learning to use his telescopes lol - being shown how easy it is by an experienced person is bound to stir the interest of some members of the public - he's ok in 4 min clips lol :(

I thought he was quite good in the clip. Nowhere near as annoying as he can be. I am really looking forward the programs.

Is anyone from SGL doing anything for the shows or associated events?

Rik

I thought he was quite good in the clip. Nowhere near as annoying as he can be. I am really looking forward the programs.

Is anyone from SGL doing anything for the shows or associated events?

Rik

Yup...loads, behind the scenes, with the Faulkes Telescope, we're doing a lot of work for the comet show.. and there's a few others on here working away too :-)

I am doing a radio interview on the 4th about it, whilst (weather permitting) imaging on Faulkes North at the same time...Liz Bonnin will be in Hawaii, and two VIP accounts are running on Faulkes now as well.. if the weather olds, we'll have at least one awesome image of a conjunction between a comet and a ....well...you'll see :-)

Need to be careful how much we insult Wossy. He's exactly what 1000s of people who want to get into this hobby will be like.

By that I mean they won't know much but will want to know.

They need support and encouragement...not insults and putting down because they're not as learned as some of us.

I understand he can irritate some but I'd hate for newbies to think they'll be met with distaste if they want to learn. It's clearly not the SGL way :(

It's worth noting that in order to make a programme viable...they need watchers. If 'celebs' help that then so-be-it. Brian Cox isn't on just because he's clever and experienced. He also has camera presence and is TV friendly guy.

A lot of work is going into this and I, for one, am just happy there is going to be a short series of programmes that might lead to more.

It's a great thing IMHO :)

It's a superb event. JR being involved (ably guided by a professional astronomer), is a good thing for our hobby. The fact that the BBC are running something on this scale over three nights is to be applauded full stop.

I think that it will be fantastic for astronomy and if people have an uncontrolable hatred for Jonathon Ross (looking at you sbooder) then just don't watch the programme, personally I'm going to watch it and judge the man for myself at the time.

I actually like JR and have a similar stupid sense of humour I'm afraid. Is there really a difference between one mickey taking comedian interested in astronomy (he clearly seems to be) and another just because you happen to like his style more than another? (I happen to like both).

If you cannot have a laugh about things (this is an entertainment show) then it makes life a little sad. If you learn something along the way this is good too but we are all pretty insignificant in the scheme of things - surely this is something that the hobby we share makes pretty obvious?

Personally, I am hoping they try and find Uwanus (and yes, it's ray not rah as far as I'm concerned).

Anything that highlights Astronomy as a way to genuinely have a great time has got to be good.

Archived