Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing Live

nebogipfel

I think our society in Bristol might be one of the locations as they are holding a live event early in Jan...Skies will be clear with high pressure establishing itself over Europe again for another cold but dry phase. Shoudl be clear for Solar eclipse on the 4/1 in the morning.

Mark

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main aims of the program series is to bring astronomy to the masses. Brian Cox is the obvious choice for main presenter.

The addition of the other two is a great idea imho to brighten up the image of astronomy (otherwise regarded as a bit geeky by the great unwashed lol).

Dara with his astrophysics degree and huge popularity will attract new interest, and Wossy - dunno what he's got - seems to have a genuine interest and, for better or worse, a massive following. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the programs. :(

It also annoys me when TV companies have to pollute good science productions with seemingly un-natural injections of "popular mainstream celebrity".

But on the other side, it might get more of the public to watch the show and maybe pick up an interest in astronomy, or at least get a message across that you can be smart, funny and interested in astronomy. Shame that I can only be one of those three things.

Good thing I get BBC TV in Netherlands, I will definately swich on. I hope I don't have to switch it off through cringe-factor though.

Well, I've looked at the programme descriptions that sbooder was kind enough to post a link to. I have to say, there's nothing in the programmes that seems in any way enticing and with the added disincentive of Wossy, I think I'll find I have more intersting things to do :(

What I am interested in is peoples motivation for watching. Do you expect to learn something? Do you hope to get other family members interested, through the programmes? Is it just for personal validation (here are some celebs with telescopes)? or do you feel a duty (I'm an astronomer, it's about astronomy, therefore I *have* to watch) to view the programmes, no matter what?

Anyhow, I thought the Jan 4 partial eclipse took place in the morning. How can they include it in Stargazing Live at 20:00, when the event took place many hours earlier. Maybe I'm being too literal?

I will probably treat it like I do spring watch; I miss most episodes of spring watch because I am out birding or counting butterflies, or setting up the moth trap. So if the sky is clear during Stargazing live, I will be out Stargazing live, not watching telly, but if it rains or is cloudy I will probably watch through a sense of intrigue.

Being newbie I am lapping up anything on the subject at the moment. Hopefully Dr Cox will pitch it at the right level as he did so very well with his Wonders Of The Solar System. Not too dumbed down but not too mind boggling either.

It will be worth watching for me for the "good doctor" alone. He was the one that blew on the "glowing ember" first sparked my dad in our back garden about 35 years ago.

I can take or leave JR but Dara should be good fun.

Well, I've looked at the programme descriptions that sbooder was kind enough to post a link to. I have to say, there's nothing in the programmes that seems in any way enticing and with the added disincentive of Wossy, I think I'll find I have more intersting things to do :(

What I am interested in is peoples motivation for watching. Do you expect to learn something? Do you hope to get other family members interested, through the programmes? Is it just for personal validation (here are some celebs with telescopes)? or do you feel a duty (I'm an astronomer, it's about astronomy, therefore I *have* to watch) to view the programmes, no matter what?

Anyhow, I thought the Jan 4 partial eclipse took place in the morning. How can they include it in Stargazing Live at 20:00, when the event took place many hours earlier. Maybe I'm being too literal?

Your probably right but we should just be glad they have it on the tv and hopefully it will get more people interested! :)

I don't have a problem with Dara (providing he has his serious head on :()

I'ts the BBC's love affair with so called celebrity as typified by Ross that I object to. There are so many more appropriate contributors they could have used.

I do agree with some of the comments made but we have to be realistic about this. This programme is to entertain ( and hopefully to educate) the masses who have recently become more interested in astronomy mostly due to the excellent 'wonders of the solar system'. Lets be honest though; Dara and JR are there to mostly make us laugh. Both of them are intelligent individuals who can sometimes, especially in the case of JR, overstep the mark. BUT.. it is light entertainment. If I wanted to just see a bunch of guys looking through telescopes at stuff I would go out with my local observing group which I do and enjoy. This is different and may encourage others to get the astronomy bug.This is no bad thing. I'm sure that most who attend local astronomy clubs would welcome some new blood. This may entice them in and have Dara and JR around will probably bring in more viewers.

I must disagree, J Ross is a fop a dandy and a buffoon, just because the man has bought a scope dose not make him the right person for the programmes just because a popularity with others interested in trivial tat, like cloths and celebrity. What should we get him to present next, Life on Earth?

Being newbie I am lapping up anything on the subject at the moment. Hopefully Dr Cox will pitch it at the right level as he did so very well with his Wonders Of The Solar System. Not too dumbed down but not too mind boggling either.

It will be worth watching for me for the "good doctor" alone. He was the one that blew on the "glowing ember" first sparked my dad in our back garden about 35 years ago.

I can take or leave JR but Dara should be good fun.

Ooops....I have just read this back and realised what I have done.

My apologies to PROFESSOR Brian Cox.

Goodness knows I am well aware that he is not Doc Cox (That's Life anyone?). My wife has bought me the book of Wonders of the Solar System for Christmas too for Pete's sake!

I knew something was not quite right when I typed it but you know when you just hit "Submit" anyway?

Not sure what's wrong with me today. One too many Jelly Babies I think!

Archived