Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are your other hobbies?

Manok101

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing variety of interests and hobbies.

For me it's sailing, sailing and more sailing. I race an Enterprise and a Solo dinghy at my local club and also at open events and championships around the country.

Fortunate to have a share in an elderly Westerly cruising yacht in Greece and spend 2 fortnights a year out there.

Also do a bit of ballroom dancing

I've got some nicely dovetailing interests.

My primary interest is whitewater and surf kayaking, which is when it is wet.

My alternative daytime pursuit when it is dry enough is XC mountain biking.

(If wet, paddle. If dry, pedal...)

Clear nights are spent if possible outside with a scope or a pair of binos.

Cloudy nights, I disassemble and rejuvenate PCs and servers, work with switches and firewalls, and general modification of consoles or other electronic equipment.

I'm trying some telescope building but that is on the back burner a bit, as I don't have the time to spare at the moment.

Other interests are old merc classic cars (450 SEL 6.9 and 300D I6 tuning - want more cash for a few cars to play with :D ), tuning my A4 tdi, Robert Jordan and Raymond E Feist novels, Linux setup and configuration, pc overclocking, digital photography, household DIY and repair.

Of course all of the above when real life and work does not get in the way..

Fair enough. You still riding (what on)?

Decided to give it a miss over winter, hopefully pick somthing else up in the spring. First time without a bike in the garage for over 10 years, can't say its a nice feeling.

Decided to give it a miss over winter, hopefully pick somthing else up in the spring. First time without a bike in the garage for over 10 years, can't say its a nice feeling.

Aye...no bike=sucks the farts out of a dead badgers bum:eek:

Mind you, mine hasn't turned a wheel in about a month.....can't see it going far for a bit yet either!

I do some homebrew wine and beer making.:D Play the piano, mostly classical like Bach and Handel.

My wife has no real hobbies, except nagging, - she's very good at that.

It can feel like the Catholic Inquisition at times," what are you looking at now?!" "Don't waste so much time looking up at the sky"......

Mother in law said " you'll be seeing green men next"...

Hmmm, i must be going senile, i forgot to mention our Midge, hopefully she'll be MOT'd and painted up by next July so that i can attend the Modget 50 gathering:hello2:

am10.jpg

am9.jpg

She will be bumperless and all the holes will have been welded up by then....

John:)

My other main hobby up until recently was Amateur Radio but I just about did this to death (300,000+ contacts) and finally sold my equipment to fund photography but not before breaking three world records in contesting which was one of the highlights. Another, was chatting to Musa Manarov on board the MIR space station on nothing more sophisticated than a hand held vhf radio transceiver. The chat lasted about 15 seconds as the pass was very very fast.

The photography is coming on leaps and bounds and I am constantly learning new things and ideas and hoping I can merge this and the Solar observing together and come up with some reasonable photographs using the DSLR without immediately resorting to a dedicated imaging (DMK or Flea) setup - or "bank of wife" will not be too happy !

I just need to find someone close by who could teach me how to use Imagesplus and Registax as I am a complete beginner :)

Steve

I've got some nicely dovetailing interests.

My primary interest is whitewater and surf kayaking, which is when it is wet.

My alternative daytime pursuit when it is dry enough is XC mountain biking.

(If wet, paddle. If dry, pedal...)

Clear nights are spent if possible outside with a scope or a pair of binos.

Cloudy nights, I disassemble and rejuvenate PCs and servers, work with switches and firewalls, and general modification of consoles or other electronic equipment.

I'm trying some telescope building but that is on the back burner a bit, as I don't have the time to spare at the moment.

Other interests are old merc classic cars (450 SEL 6.9 and 300D I6 tuning - want more cash for a few cars to play with ;) ), tuning my A4 tdi, Robert Jordan and Raymond E Feist novels, Linux setup and configuration, pc overclocking, digital photography, household DIY and repair.

Of course all of the above when real life and work does not get in the way..

This is someone who knows a good book!!! :) Magician is my favourite book ever - must have read it 20 times :D

I don't have a main hobby as such and they do tend to come a go, but the ones I seem to stick with are; astronomy (obviously :D), mountain biking, PC gaming (mainly FS-X recently), meditation, photography, reading (non-fiction) and RC toys. I'm also partial to the green stuff, but no more of that here :)

EDIT: I also build gaming PC's for anyone who asks. I'll post a pic or two soon...

EDIT2: This is my main rig which I built in April. My first dual loop water cooled setup..

img1591wa.jpg

Nice setup,

I had watercooling in my last machine. All was going well until I smacked one of the pipes and water went all over the internals.

allrifles1.jpg

Be honest. How many of them can you really fire at once?

I'd quite like to get a take-down model, maybe a Logun but probably an AirArms S410 TDR. I don't have a car, and sometimes it would be nice to take my rifle by foot without alarming people and risking arrest.

It seems that most of my hobbies are, in some way, lens-based. Besides my 383L+ and SkyShed aspirations, I am currently trying to set aside the money for a longer, brighter scope for my rifle.

Afewwatches.jpg

What's the time, John?

Not wishing to pry on an unfortunate subject, but how do you find your arthritis affects your ability to do bonsai? From the little bonsai I did years ago, I know it's intricate work, often requiring lengthy, delicate fingerwork. I would have thought it would be as painful to do as guitar playing, but presumably you find this not to be the case.

I know my mother's ability to do sewing has been greatly impaired by it. Part of my interest is morbid, but part is selfish, as I'm starting to get the first twinges myself, especially now it's getting colder.

Tropical fish! Sounds lame but you wouldn't want to mess with my Pacu - jaws like bolt cutters.

And SCUBA, Shokotan Karate, airsoft and generally whatever the kids are into... Having kids is an excuse to act exactly like one!

Our eldest plays airsoft occasioanlly and he needs a lift, I thought why don't I join in? So I did! A couple of square miles of steep hill keeps you fit if you're legging it around it all day with an airsoft plastic pellet full auto SA80 replica. The pyro is good, too!

It's also interesting when you get hit in the backside by said youth with a pellet from his barret replica. At a range of four feet....

Last year, we rescued Santa!

my main hobbies are making air rifles and model steam engines, and traction engines, also shooting the air rifles i make:D i make quite a bit of homebrew ale, and enjoyed rebuilding my landrover, just getting into astronomy, would not mind having a go at making a telescope for a change, theres a few pics of my engines and guns i make here ISP-Airrifles - Home Page if anyones interested in taking a look.

Be honest. How many of them can you really fire at once?

I'd quite like to get a take-down model, maybe a Logun but probably an AirArms S410 TDR. I don't have a car, and sometimes it would be nice to take my rifle by foot without alarming people and risking arrest.

It seems that most of my hobbies are, in some way, lens-based. Besides my 383L+ and SkyShed aspirations, I am currently trying to set aside the money for a longer, brighter scope for my rifle.

What's the time, John?

Not wishing to pry on an unfortunate subject, but how do you find your arthritis affects your ability to do bonsai? From the little bonsai I did years ago, I know it's intricate work, often requiring lengthy, delicate fingerwork. I would have thought it would be as painful to do as guitar playing, but presumably you find this not to be the case.

I know my mother's ability to do sewing has been greatly impaired by it. Part of my interest is morbid, but part is selfish, as I'm starting to get the first twinges myself, especially now it's getting colder.

Hi

I don't really shoot my guns (i just collect them because i like the workmanship that goes into them, same with my watches and other stuff really)

Wiring the bonsai isn't too bad on my hands though if i'm at it for long periods then they do start to hurt and go very stiff, the worst thing is when i wind maual wind watches up, the main joint in my thumb is the worst affected and manual wind watches with small crowns are very difficul to grip..

I used to repair watches as a hobby but now i can't grip the small screwdrivers:(

From experience of the S-16 i wouldn't buy another, mine has had problems with it leaking though strangely, after a year of being put away and forgotten about, i screwed the bottle in and it wasn't leaking anymore:confused:, also unless you push the bolt forwards very firmly, you will get misfires so when you try cocking it again another pellet will be forced in to the barrel, when i fisrt got the rifle i ended up with around six pellets stuck up the spout:o

I would go for the air arms, though i would also consider the stealth, it seems to get bad press but mine is superb, it's so simple which is exactly the opposite of the S-16..

John:)

I know how you feel. I crashed my SV650 in '08 and haven't been able to afford one since. Well, I say can't afford.. I guess I could have gotten a bike instead of my scopes, but scopes don't throw you in to on-coming cars :)

Archived