Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are your other hobbies?

Manok101

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cycling and thinking. (I like thinking.) Before emigrating I flew off to strange places and once had a look through a telescope... which changed the course of my life very radically!

I also like spending time with our dog, Cachou, because she sees the world differently.

Olly

I guess helping run this place counts as a hobby! Other than that, my 'daily' hobby is keeping fish. I currently have two 180 litre tanks, one for freshwater tropicals and one as a coral reef. They keep me sane while the weather keeps me from mucking about in the garden.

Tony..

Mainly all things Bass which I make (Prosebass) geology, fossils, huge reader of non fiction, anything with an engine in it, railways, Bass and more Bass, and photography my second major undertaking.

homeoriginal01.jpg

:D

Some very nice bases there.

I just hung up my bass playing as i dont have time and as im not in a band i sold my Musicman Stingray 5, which was a sad day but it would be wrong for it to be sat in a case not been used.

For the past two years it has been my series landrover project(it's on the road now) love computer games COD types and astonomy which has had to take a back seat this year because of work commitments(stupidly busy) to be put right over christmas.

Andy

Photography is my part-time trade, but all-time preoccupation and occasional passion. I'm interested in documentary, but don't get many opportunities, so right now I'm working on some landscapes, macro and wildlife projects:

Dartmoor0026SML.jpg

Nail.jpg

TheGorge051b.jpg

Dragonfly.jpg

I've recently got back into air shooting. In the late 90s I was a 10m indoor target air rifle shooter, competing and things, but now I have a new toy:

S510aSML.jpg

Things have come a long way in the last 15 years, and this thing is a delight to shoot, but has taken some of my astro funds and slowed down my obsy. Don't worry, I'm still just shooting targets, albeit at a greater range and outdoors. No plans to shoot anything alive any time soon.

I also keep tropical fish (as do many of you, I believe). I'm running a 70 litre with some Bristlenose and Banjo Cats, some Pentazona Barbs, Lampeyes, and a 125 litre with a gang of Leopard Bush Fish, which are by far one of my favourite fish. I've just this week got myself a couple of African Butterfly Fish, too.

To my shame, I also have a juvenile sailfin plec. I know he's going to be a giant, I just hope I can afford a tank for him in time. Here's a picture of him when he was a baby:

Sailfin.jpg

I've also got a 1/8 scale nitro truck (an Associated SC8, for anybody interested). I don't do anything productive with it, just blast it around old airfields and make lots of noise like the obnoxious cretin that I am.

SC8_01.jpg

I'm also a fedora-wearer, and have a few nice hats, some of which I've altered, some completely rebuilt and reshaped.

Oh, and zombies. I'll go for anything with zombies in it; all the Romero movies, the Max Brooks books and Rob Kirkman comics (and recent TV-adaptation thereof). I'll even watch the dodgey Fulci movies if they're on. Forget all that Twilight nonsense, zombies are the new vampires.

i spend my winters rock climbing around south east asia and normally stay in uk, april - oct, but this year i have attempted to stay in uk for the winter, but finding it too hard, so i am off again in jan, going to take my 15x70's and a star map to a remote part of thailand.

I'm building a model railway, Guitar playing, Camping, Ogame, bit of x box mostly racing games, I used to do a lot of karting 3-24 hr endurance races b4 I had a heart attack. Ditto cricket now I just have a knock about with the grand kiddies. I am only one short of a full team :D Grand kiddies that is LOL

Mountain Walking(in the process of trying to climb every mountain peak in Wales,theres 190 of them!)...Mountain biking, Wildlife watching especially birds...Enjoy a "good" film, listening to music and Playing Online games...:D

Hi

My hobbies include, collecting airguns, watches and knives, i love doing bonsai but have waaaay too many according to the wife!!..

Back in 1999 i went to college to learn to play guitar but recently had to pack in due to Arthritis in my hands :D

as may be seen, i'm a bit of a collector...

allrifles1.jpg

Had around thirty guitars but i've sold about six or so on fleabay, the rest will be going after christmas (seems daft keeping them when it hurts so much to play them:o )

A few of them here..

geetars2.jpg

I've been collecting watches since i was sixteen (grandfather was watchmaker), i'm now fifty two and this is about half of my collection..

Afewwatches.jpg

Some of my trees..

bonsaitrees.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

I took this pic a couple of days ago- me poor little trees:p

s6.jpg

John:)

I don't think I'd like to be a street light near Johns place :D

I also collect some bands music, it started off as just the vinyl but grew from there.

june16327.jpg

And my small collection of meteorites, there is another Mars rock and piece of Shikote Alin that are not shown though.

Canonmay2420.jpg

* Playing favourite tunes (and those I write ;) ) at open mics and jam sessions on 12-strings & Fender Strat :D

* Crossstitching :D - it's an addiction!

* Audiobooks, reading, podcasts. I have usually 2-3 books on the go ;)

Some very nice bases there.

I just hung up my bass playing as i dont have time and as im not in a band i sold my Musicman Stingray 5, which was a sad day but it would be wrong for it to be sat in a case not been used.

I'm sorry to hear Earl_UK :p

I've been tempted to buy and learn an acoustic bass because it's seems a little difficult to find a bass guitarist who'll stay with us. Well, we've just started though.

I've recently got a small band together and we're looking for a bass guitarist who'll stay with us (we'll be jamming with a couple in the next 2 weeks ...). Myself & lead guitarist have been playing together for past 5-6 months and with drummer for past 3 months. But it's now time to put a demo together and get some gigs :)

For me astronomy is the big one, but my backup for cloudy nights is electric guitar. I'm not any good yet, but there will be many cloudy nights!!

Oh my gosh! What a collection of guitars! ...and watches!!!...and bonsais :)

Hi Kris..

I have a small collection of British air pidtols too (Webley and BSA overlever pistols)

pc3.jpg

The 'Black ones' :D

XS78 Co2 with bulk fill, good for around 500 shots before it needs re-filling with Co2..

riflebfls.jpg

Logun S-16 (2x 8shot magazine fed)

rifleloguns16b.jpg

Two customised Crosman ratcatchers (2250B), 22cal Co2 rifles..

riflerattiescustom1-1.jpg

Gunpower Stealth, single shot 22 PcP..

riflestealth1a.jpg

BTW, i very rarely shoot them, i just collect them:o

I've acquired a few more since i took the group shot of the airguns, also there are about five or six that are in pieces ready for refurbishing;)

Cheers, John

Alright, my turn. Other hobbies......

Travelling, reading fantasy fiction / science mags, watching anything related to science / astronomy / space (Sky + you are a life saver), playing xbox 360 (Halo:Reach, FIFA, F1 2010, CoD, Fallout:New Vegas, AC:Brotherhood). Also, just bought WoW for the PC - giving that a bash this week.

As for sports I love American football and football, but my poor ankles made me retire from playing this year :D I still get the occasional game of golf - when the temperature is above 0C!

Last but certainly not least, spending time with wife and kids (have a 7 month old daughter and 9 year old son). I actually don't know how I have time for the above hobbies lol

I don't have a main hobby as such and they do tend to come a go, but the ones I seem to stick with are; astronomy (obviously :D), mountain biking, PC gaming (mainly FS-X recently), meditation, photography, reading (non-fiction) and RC toys. I'm also partial to the green stuff, but no more of that here :D

EDIT: I also build gaming PC's for anyone who asks. I'll post a pic or two soon...

EDIT2: This is my main rig which I built in April. My first dual loop water cooled setup..

img1591wa.jpg

Archived