Narrowband

What are your other hobbies?

Manok101

I've been told recently by a friend that I have odd hobbies. Astronomy is one of those hobbies that, there are days or even weeks where you have to find something else to do in the meantime. Me, I fly (with the use of microsoft flight simulator x) I play classical piano, I read loads, I watch tons of ice hockey(some might call me addicted). I also collect and listen to music, mostly classical music. You can throw video games in there as well.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok,

my main interest/hobby is course angling, and in the last 8years i have moved up to specimen c a r p angling that involves doing sessions on the bank from a day to a week, bivvied up, in fact i had sort of forgot about astronamy but got back into it because when at a lake i love sitting by the water at night, so this year i got the 15x70 bins to take fishing and do a bit of stargazing, that was a good move as it fired my interest again:)

History, i love it. But WWII is particular. I travelled all over the place trying to find old disused airfields and seeing what was left, what i could find hidden (buildings, parts of runways, taxi ways, disperals). Fortunate that the New Forest is littered with disused airfields. And it all neatly dovetailed in with my two hobbies, astronomy and photography. The airfields gave me something to photograph and Beaulieu Airfield also doubled up as the base for my dark site.

Try and get to a few airshows each year with Sam, my youngest. He's airplane mad too.

Also love PC's, mainly building and tinkering with them. Walking the countryside is great. A bit of tennis (i'm rubbish but love it), squash (worse still) and badmington (get by).

Used to really love PC games but not so much anymore. For some reason i've just got really rubbish at playing them. Really struggling with F1 2010 and getting completely trounced at Black Ops. I suspect that 2 hours a week just isn't enough time to master those games.

Also don't mind a bit of birdwatching with the kids to keep their gran company.

But astronomy is the main one by a countrymile.

Hobbies I've enjoyed before astronomy came along include model aircraft building/flying, golf, playing classical guiter, computer gaming but more recently PS3, films and home cinema, backgammon/chess, and loads of sports till age started taking a toll lol :D

Hmm my other hobbies include, Camping! I daren't tell you the amount of money I have spent on that :D collecting Swarovski crystals (and then the relentless cleaning of them) Browsing the net, playing hidden object games on the PC, playing on games consoles, walking in the local woods or parks....

My other main hobby is making bows and arrows, I used to to play a lot of pc games (eve online and more recently BF2-BC) but not so much anymore as I am finding I dont have to time to sit infront of the pc much, unless its to process an image. I enjoy relaxing an awful lot, not sure if you can call that a hobby.

Argentine tango. Boulder climbing. Beating customers and prospects over the head with thorough answers to technical questions (what a surprise, eh?)

I know quite a bit about absinthe (history, flavours, distilling, etc.) Not the ersatz artificially coloured and hyped rubbish, but the one distilled carefully from a macerate of green anise, sweet fennel seed, fragrant grand wormwood and other herbs.

Photography, PS3, collecting old astronomy books, music (anything from classical to punk but mainly northern soul & ska), scootering, cant beat riding around on a Vespa with an antisocial exhaust :D , country walks tho not as much now my dog passed away :D , films, & tinkerink with anything that has a lens

My big hobby was shooting but as that has been so much banned and limited I gave up years ago.

These days astronomy is the main one but I also write, I have been working on a huge novel for about ten years. I have written two smaller novels but never got published.

My other hobby is history, mostly WWII but any history interests me. the second world war is fascinating because it's still so close and the history for it has not truly been settled and perhaps it won't ever be but it's interesting to see how history records it because it gives an insight into how history may have been warped in other, earlier, cataclysmic events. The creation of myths and legends etc.

Ummm thats it really.

To have fun, I:

do things with my family (wife and four-year-old daughter);

read/work on physics;

hang out on Physics Forums;

surf the internet, mainly for local, national, and international news, and for sports;

read novels (I am in a book club that reads mystery novels).

My priorities with respect to this list change, depending on my mood and energy level.

I watch tons of ice hockey(some might call me addicted).

As a kid, I played hockey, I still skate occasionally, and I occasionally go to games (kids under 20, some of whom make it to the NHL).

I like playing golf, sea fishing, listening and going to rock concerts(hence the funny looks I get off people when I tell them I'm "into Astronomy" and they can't stop staring at my full sleeve tattoo'ed arms) :D:D

Archived