Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has Anyone Got A Refractor And A Reflector

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got both. My 8" newt was bought as a "good all rounder" which it has been but it does do DSO's better than Planets. The C80ED refractor came two years later and while it isn't a particularly long focal ratio, it's lunar and planetary views are a touch sharper with better contrast even though the highest practical mag is lower than the newt. The C80ED is also smaller and doesn't require much time to cool down so it's good for quickie observing.

I bought a SkyWatcher Startravel 4" refractor for dso and planetary observing. It's not brilliant on planets being a fast scope, but it's not that bad either. It's very good, however, on dso's; I've seen a few galaxies and double-clusters, but hoping to see more in the coming month's and can't wait to see saturn and mars. ;-)

A short tube (F5) ST102 achromat for wide field star sweeping.

A couple of MAKs for "precision" work. Brighter DSOs, even. ;)

In the fullness of time, I suspect ALL might benefit from upgrade.

But I think the IDEA a good one, for those who might not want

(be able!) to follow the does-it-all idea of a Newtonian (Dob). :)

I've a 4" F/6.5 ED refractor for "grab and go" use, a 6" F/5.9 maksutov-newtonian which is superb on the planets and the moon and not too shabby for deep sky, and a 10" F/4.8 newtonian for fainter deep sky objects.

I'd like a larger aperture deep sky scope but my scopes must be pretty mobile and I found a 12" dob just a bit too much for me.

The maksutov-newtonian seems to be the best "allrounder" that I've used - there are not too many on the market though.

Reflector was purchased first as an all-rounder with good price to aperature, refractor later mainly for imaging though not really got round to it yet properly.

Will bag my first proper attempt at a DSO soon though as the amazing images I have been seeing recently here are compelling me to go back and read the imaging book instead of wondering what I am doing wrong!

Thank you to the imagers for the inspiration of your pics!! :)

I had the ST120 on an AZ3 first. Needed portability (had to be able to get it on the back of a motorbike), able to use it as a terrestrial daytime spotting 'scope, and reasonable capability on DSO's. I was also wary of getting anything bigger until I knew I could control the light grasp (I have bad eyes, to say the least) after getting arc-eye off the Moon when setting up dads 130p Heritage. It's worked out a treat, even the CA on the Moon and Planets isn't enough to bother me, it's definitely a 'keeper'.

Next I planned on getting a 250px Skyliner dob, figuring it to be probably the biggest 'scope I could actually manage reasonably comfortably, and able to give me a decent boost viewing DSO's, when johninderby's 200p Skyliner came up for sale recently.

So I jumped at the chance of that, and it's proving nicely complementary to the ST120 (1200mm fl vs 600mm fl, is very handy).

Not had the chance to use it much as yet due to the weather, but one night the viewing was stunning, and I'm glad I had the 200p for that night. It's a belter! :)

My main scope (and as a scope to learn to image on) is a SW 200P f/5 reflector this lives on the observatory pier. I also have a SW Evostar 120mm refractor which I consider "portable" and use on a tripod around the garden especially when trees etc are in the way!! The refractor is far more robust and can take the "rough" (actually really gentle!) handling much better than a reflector can.

I've got a 300mm f/4 Dobson as my main instrument. Both planetary and DSO views are excellent with this telescope.

But there is one thing it can not do: give a true field of view of several degrees. That's why I also have a 4" shorttube refractor. Objects like the N.A. nebula or M24 simply wont fit in my eyepiece using the big Dob.

The contrast in a refractor is a little bit higher than in a reflector. A 4" shorttube is within my reach, but I just can not handle or afford a 300mm refractor. :)

I have four scopes. A 12" dob for deep sky stuff that I haul to dark sky sites, A 5" Mak for lunar and planetary work from my inner city balcony, A 3" apo refractor, which is my travel scope (been to Majorca with it as hand luggage) and a PST (refractor) for solar, which I can also do from my balcony. See, perfectly reasonable. Now, if I just find a reason for a 5th 'scope.....

Martin

I have a Flextube 300p for the DSO's and just generally scanning the skies and a Equinox 120 which I use for pulling out detail on the Planets and the Moon etc. Also helps if you have decent eyepieces , I have boiled it down to 3 now ( Pentax XW 30 ,20 and 10mm ) not cheap but just as important as which scopes you finally go for.

Scopes may come and go but eyepieces are forever.

Vlebo

I had a 12" dob and a 120mm refractor. I sold the refractor to fund the purchase of a 6" dob with a much longer focal length as it is better on planets and moon than either the refractor or the 12"

I just lover reflectors (newtonian) as they are easy to use, collimate, modify, cheap to buy for the aperture and also give images which are simple upside down images and with no chromatic aberrations. BUT I don't regret buying the refractor - it was a lovely scope.

I have an 8" reflector (Skywatcher 200P on an HEQ5Pro mount) which I have as my general purpose scope. I bought it because I happen to like Newtonians as a scope design and bang for the buck it offered the best all round capability....BUT (and regulars hare will now groan :) )

About 6 months ago I bought a TAL 100RS - its a 4" Achromat and in many ways an outdated design, modern refreactors mostly opt for short tube designs whereas the TAL is more of a classic long tube scope.

The TAL has become my most used telescope and also my best loved telescope as well. Its planetary performance is superb. Theres something about it which just appeals.

Normally its used on my HEQ5 Pro which makes it super stable. Its longish focal length means its less fussy with its eyepieces and generally its just more comfortable to use.

I have been shot down before about saying its planetary performance exceed the newt but the fact is it does. Its longer focal length gives it better contrast and it seems less affected by poor seeing than the newt which always seems far more sensitive to atmospheric conditions wven when running at low power.

I also have two Maksutovs - a baby 4" one and a monster 7" one. The baby 4" was bought as a grab and go scope but the TAL has largely supplanted it in that role.

I have an 200mm reflector and a 120mm refractor. It's my imaging setup. The 200mm (8") reflector is my imaging scope and the 120(4.5"ish) refractor is my guider scope. It gives nice views though - and it's a cheap scope - the 120 not the 200. :)

I also have a 300mm (12") reflector. It's huge and difficult to use but crickey the view is amazing. Almost as good as my 200mm SPX but that's another story ;)

Mark

I have a 70mm refractor (Celestron Travelscope), 90mm refractor (Celestron First Scope) and a 130mm reflector (SW Heritage Dob).

The 90mm was my 1st one and i bought it because i thought it would suit me being in a wheelchair and was within budget.

The 130mm was the 2nd scope i bought because it really DID suit me, being in a wheelchair.

The last one i bought was the 70mm and i bought it purely to take on holiday with me as it is so small,light and compact and came in its own backpack. Ideal for travel.

I know "apeture is king", but i HONESTLY think that apeture is only king with any scope that suits you and you will use often. I can and do use my 70mm scope more then i use my 90mm scope because it is practical for me to do so. The 90mm scope and mount and tripod weighs about 28Lbs. The 70mm scope and tripod weighs about 1.5Lbs.

I really enjoy the 70mm. I fear and loathe the 90mm. The 130mm is my main weapon of choice and only weighs in at about 6Lbs.

Essentially apeture often takes a backseat to usability and i think thats a good thing.

My main scope is a reflector - a SkyWatcher 190mm Maksutov Newtonian, and primarily serves as my imaging scope - I rarely look through it, although I probably should because when I do the views are splendid.

I subsequently got a SkyWatcher 80mm short tube refractor, with the original intention of using it as my viewing scope. It has served that job very well, but its secondary role is as a wider-field imaging scope, since its focal length is significantly less than the Mak-Newt.

Lastly, I have an old Vixen refractor of a similar focal length to the Mak-Newt, which serves as my guide telescope, so is permanently fitted with a SkyWatcher SynGuider. That scope deserves better, as its actually pretty decent, but its all I currently have spare to do the job.

This thread reminds me of a thread posted a few months ago when people were invited to post a list of scopes that the have owned in the past or currently still own.

WOW..................some people here had a list of over 40 scopes (most of which they still own). I think Russ was the outright winner. I think he buys a new scope every week.

LOL.

My first scope was a 60mm Ziess Telementor, so when i got back into this i wanted a larger aperture, and computer interfacing.

I started back with a 4SE, picked up a 6" SCT, sold it and the 4SE to fund a 8" SCT, picked up a 12" newt as it was cheap and im yet to use it !!!!. a ST80 for a guidescope and a Revelation 80ED for taking images and i like the compact size.

What next

more Computer interfaceage, Im a total cybergeek i need to feed in Geek daily.

If I ignore earlier scopes, the one's I have now were bought for a reason.

I needed something small and light (highly portable) but good quality, so I bought the OMC-140. That was fine as it was. But then I decided to take up comet observing. Because I have limited viewing at the house, it would mean a trip to the nearby moors. OK, but, the OMC-140 needs a long cool down time and can't do low magnifications being f14.8 - x42 with the LVW 42mm I bought just for that purpose. So I added a Helios 120mm f8.3 OG - x21 with the 42mm.

Last year I bought a 250mm Newt, as you can't beat extra inches... The just recently added a 80ED to that for wide field views.

It will still be the 120mm for trips to the moors though. I just wish it was an apo Sad.png

Get one of each - that'll settle your mind :icon_salut:

I have a 4.5" Newton and just ordered a Celestron Omni XLT 120. I debated whether to get an 8" Newton (like Astro Baby I happen to like Newtons and have been criticized for it <g>) but this time, the refractor won out because of the non obstruction view a refractor gives vs a reflector.

However, for my 63rd birthday next July, I'm sure I'll replace the 4.5" Newton with at least an 8" reflector of some type (I actually already have it picked out). BTW, 4.5" Newton is only 2 months old - I got bit by the Astronomy bug much worse than I ever expected :(

Archived