NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sales regrets?

I recently sold a much-loved eyepiece that I really should have kept (fortunately I've been able to buy something similar from someone else, so everyone's happy). I couldn't help but wonder, what's the biggest sales mistake you've made (i.e. sold something you should have kept)?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've sold a lot of equipment in the past, scopes, eyepieces, etc., I think that the one I regret is the LX10 SCT, that scope gave me some fantastic views of the moon and planets and I do wish I still had it.

I've bought some equipment that made me question my sanity when it arrived.

I was very much in two minds about selling my Ethos 13. I eventually did and with the money I bought a pair of Helios 20x80 triplet binocs and a Nirvana 16mm so I think I'm happy, *but* that Ethos........ Well it was superb and I often think about it....:)

Hopefully the new owner (Gaz O'C) is enjoying it.

I sold my first refractor in 1999 which I bought in 1965, a 60mm on an alt/az mount. I decided to buy a Celestron 5" Nexstar SCT and felt that the frac would not be needed.

Although the frac was not great it had treasured memories and for the money I received I should have kept it.

Mark

I wish I'd held onto:

- My 1999 TAL100R refractor - #0073

- My blue tube Skywatcher ED100

- My Celestron C8+

I'm just trying to learn from the experiences and be more critical about selling stuff in the future !.

I had a great set up, it consisted of a

EQ6 Pro mount, mounted on a custom made ash tripod

William optics ZS 105 refractor + ZS 80FD

It all went as i was at a cross road in my life and wanted lots of things to change, my set up just got caught in the crossfire i guess.....

Should never have sold my Intes Micro M603....it's the best quality scope i've owned and gave the most memorable views of Saturn and Jupiter. It was also my imaging scope, i have very fond memories of it.

Also shouldn't have sold my Meade LX6 10", they were the best SCT optics i've ever seen. Should have remounted it on the EQ6 instead of the Orion Optics 10" Newt i bought to replace it.

Ho hum, we live and don't learn :)

.....Ho hum, we live and don't learn :icon_scratch:

Reminds me of an old Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketch where Cook is a failed businessman and the interviewer (Moore) asks "Sir Arthur, have you learned from your mistakes ?". Cooks reply is "Yes I have studied my mistakes, and I am confident that ....... I could repeat them all, exactly" :)

hehe i blame the imaging....couldn't ever find a scope that was 'right'. There was always another scope just looked to offer something a bit better. So much easier now with visuals. If i ever started the imaging again, that bit from Peter Cook and Dudley Moore would be spot on.

No astro sales regrets yet as I have kept just about everything I have bought... need to rationalise at some point though got too many "boxes" of bits and astroboot isnt helping either...

Several regrest in letting Off Roaders go really cheap to "friends" to help them out only to have them moved on in short order for a profit :)

Peter...

As daft as it sounds I do miss my 4SE, so easy to grab n go.

Well, I'm still wondering why you got rid of the other little scope that you sold to me (the unbranded, mystery mini-mak) :) - it's such a handy thing to have about the place, and a star-test shows the optics to be spot on :mad:

- thanks for it, anyway - I love it! :icon_scratch:

No astro sales regrets yet as I have kept just about everything I have bought... need to rationalise at some point though got too many "boxes" of bits and astroboot isnt helping either...

Several regrest in letting Off Roaders go really cheap to "friends" to help them out only to have them moved on in short order for a profit :)

Peter...

You're making me feel better about the back garden full of 4x4s. Cheers.

2 scopes really.

The tak TOA130, that I have since replaced, never to be sold again, did I say never to be sold again....:)....and.....the little tak 60c. For the aperature it was was a gem of a scope. I've been looking on the s/h market but they are as rare as hens teeth!

I sold my first refractor in 1999 which I bought in 1965, a 60mm on an alt/az mount. I decided to buy a Celestron 5" Nexstar SCT and felt that the frac would not be needed.

Although the frac was not great it had treasured memories and for the money I received I should have kept it.

Mark

I brought Marks Celestron 5" nexstar and regret selling it! it was fantastic scope. If i knew now what i did then i wouldnt have parted with it.

Looking at FLO's sales, the Skywatcher Evostar 100ED PRO is the telescope that is most often bought twice (usually because someone regretted selling theirs).

Steve

Very interesting indeed.

I keep looking at the 100ED and thinking about buying one. Which is absolutely crazy since I don't need one. Nonetheless, I keep looking at that page again and again.

Do you have any website stats Steve for your most drooled-over items? (i.e. most visited product page).

Over the last six weeks the three most popular telescopes, rated by page views, are the Skywatcher Skymax 127 AZ GOTO followed by the Celestron Nexstar 6SE and the Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ5

The imaging camera with the most views is the Atik Titan

The three most searched for products (based on FLO's website stats) are Baader Hyperion, Atik Titan and Explorer 200p.

HTH,

Steve :)

I was going to sell my Prinz Astral 500 when I got the new Celestron (back in the 80s, I always wanted a Celestron scope - don't ask me exactly why, I don't know) but it's just too sentimental, lots of warm memories of cold nights, not worth a great deal monetarily anyway and I've decided to keep it, for the occasional bit of solar projection if nothing else :)

My greatest regret was letting go of my first good new electric guitar, a 1983 Westone Concord III in gleaming pearl white I bought in Walsall, and a great example of how good was Japanese manufacture back in the day (and still) ... I PX'd it for a so-so Ibanez in 1985 in Birmingham. Last year, after years of searching I found a near identical guitar on fleabay, bought it in bits and rebuilt it, didn't prove to be the same one but identical enough to make me feel similarly about it, and funnily enough the plucky old girl holds her own against my best guitars now :icon_scratch:

They are only 'things', but they accumulate their own personality and set of memories I think.

Dave :mad:

Dave: "They are only 'things', but they accumulate their own personality and set of memories I think."

Very true. Motorbikes really take on a character from their first owner I found (and it can be really tough remoulding that character). When I put one in for a service, I used to get a loaner of the same model mostly, and some of them weren't 'happy' bikes, if you know what I mean?

One of the worst secondhand ones I had, was a BMW, which took over a year for it to discover that it was a motorbike, then it had quite a good time (for a BMW, which isn't saying much).

I do regret selling all my motorbikes (especially the 1960's and 1970's Kawasaki's and the early Jota), apart from the BMW's, which were consistently dreadful (I don't know how I got talked into buying them tbh).

Archived