• White
    • Grey
    • Light Blue
    • Medium Blue
    • Red
    • Yellow
    • Green
    • Black

Following on from another thread about "that pink eBay scope" it made me curious about just what colour you'd want your scope to be if you had more of a choice.

• White
  • Grey or Silver
  • Light Blue
  • Medium Blue
  • Red
  • Yellow
  • Green
  • Black

And before you ask NO pink isn't an option in this poll. :D

John

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the tube is aluminimum alloy, polished & clear varnish is best .... failing that, gloss white. A carbon / fibreglass / wood tube has to be painted, gloss white. The idea is to prevent differential radiation which can cause tube currents.

What the thing looks like is very much a secondary matter. It's for looking through, not at.

John

I have always thought that white looks best with astro telescopes. My APO frac is white and I also have the original white flextube.

My William Optics SD 66 is a bright orange and I have often thought about spraying the scope white.

However, I do like the gold of the PST.

I also agree with nicnac that I disliked the Skywatcher blue and I am glad that they have changed to black or black/white.

It will be interesting to see the final count.

Mark

I like white - it seems suitably scientific. SkyWatcher Blue is ok and the Champagne colored 180 looks rather flash I think - would look flasher on a white mount.

I am experimenting with paint jobs at the moment on an old TAL 1 and if it works out I might repaint the Sky-Watcher tube as well.

I qiute like the blue of my Celestron Omni scope :D

Its a decent colour that doesnt reflect too much ambient light from the surroundings & it seems to cool quickly enough. So i'm going with medium blue but based on the images its probably not that

That Celestron orange is one ugly colour. I have it emblazed upon my black 90EQ scope. It looks like my scope is dressed up for Halloween (orange and black).

I agree I much prefer my black C8, but I have some nostalgia: as a kid I got a Celestron catalogue, and drooled over all these pictures of great scopes I never thought I'd own myself. Settled for building my own 6" F/8 Newtonian instead.

All black here, I love my Equinox Apo apart from the two chrome rings on it, just managed to get my hands on a WO66 Petzval which is all black apart from the focuser knobs, they will be getting replaced....lol.

All I need now is the bottle to strip my NEQ6 Pro down and respray that aswell.

Brass, requires a bit of elbow grease and brasso to keep it looking good, but it does look good.

Best Regards

Carl

This jogged my memory, I have a brass telescope, a 19th century achromat (used at sea, Jack Sparrow type thing :D), about 2", with mahogany veneer where you grip it. It does indeed look classy. I will post a photo shortly.

Some interesting comments so far, and although 1st and 2nd place will go to white or black what will come in 3rd?

Why not save this scope pic and fill in the white tube with your choice of colour and post it. :D The edges of the tube have already been outlined in black so it'll only take a few seconds to fill in with your colour.

John

Archived