Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 reworked.

RobH

Hello all.

After taking onboard some useful constructive criticism from Olly and Martin B, I've reworked my recent M81 slightly, and I think it now looks better.

I eased back on the core, and applied a very slight adjustment at the upper end of the green curve to get rid of a slight green bias noticed by Martin.

Thanks guys, that is exactly what forums are about...helping us improve :)

My website has been updated with the new images, the links are in the earlier thread...

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/103184-some-studies-m81-m82-region.html

Full res image here.....

pic and description page

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877445965_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yessss! Now that is a beaut. The core just is bright in this object but now it emerges smoothly from the spiral on one side. The colour, which I hadn't spotted, is now much nicer, too, with a rich golden hue.

In short - magnifique. The pairing might merit a search for the Integrated Flux? Martin's yer man for that. He has great luminance but I still haven't been able to get the colour for it.

Olly

Olly

Thanks Olly ;)

I'll have to wait until I can get down to your lovely dark skies to pick up the flux.....my skies just aren't dark enough :)

Still....it's a great excuse to come down :D

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Fantastic results.... Guess the extra work pays off.

I would anyway add my 2 cents here, as I am sure the stars can be slightly reprocessed to give them a more natural look.

And then you can post for an APOD :-)

Cheers

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, but the stars look fine to me, and I'm very wary of attacking stars with minimum filters etc as after more than one iteration they can become diamond shaped and artificial looking.

Cheers

Rob

Fabulous example of excellent processing Rob, with respects to any advice from others which you implemented, resulting in this beautiful Image. You just have to submit it to APOD.

It's good enough for APOY.

Ron.:)

it constantly amazes me how you all get such 'hubble like' images from land based scopes. truly 'emotional' I feel. awe inspiring.

when you think about what's whizzing around the core and wonder if there are 'people' on planets looking up and moaning about light pollution and taking shots of our system - it makes me feel queasy (in a good way - you know what I mean) just thinking about stuff like this.

having seen M81 through my dob it's so nice to also see it up close in such detail. such a shame we cannot see such detail with our eyes.

Thanks again all ;)

I guess I'll submit it for apod in the next couple of days then, although I don't expect it will get it.

Maybe I should put loads of really big diffraction spikes on it and ramp up the saturation too :):D:D

Cheers

Rob

Archived