Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ive done it 250 galaxies

mdstuart

Finally some clear skies again so Im on a galaxy hunt.

The best of the last bunch are NGC 2859 and NGC 2685. Both of these are visible with direct vision. NGC 2859 has a lovely ring in the photos, one for you imagers! NGC 2685 is a fien oval galaxy in the plough...

Just before putting the scope away I had a look at NGC 2903 in Leo, an old favorite. It was so big and bright it blew my socks off. After finding all these small, faint galaxies it was just so amazing...

So I am up to 252 galaxies!;)

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Can i just ask? Where did you start? I have viewed a few in the past and need a kick to get going again and advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

If you want a starting point I would suggest the Messier and Herschel 400 catalogs. All the objects there are said to be visible with a 10" under decent dark skies.

You can download this file and filter on the type column by "gal" to get the list of them:

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/95672-dso-checklist-messier-herschel-400-caldwell-colored-doubles.html#post1382146

There are 260 or so in those catalogs combined so that will keep you busy year round. :eek:

And Congratulations to Mark for reaching this milestone!

Hi Mark - congrats on the galaxy score! Fantastic achievement there :eek:

I can see how the critters can be fascinating - I had the pleasure of using a 20" dob last week and I was lucky enough to view quite a few galaxies on an excellent night of seeing. I found the conditions were critical to see them well though, as the next night's transparency was less than perfect and the difference was immense! Makes your record even more impressive when you think how rare these great nights are.....

Archived