NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sorry I'm a bit of a wimp

cosmic dave

All these clear nights I feeling ashamed of myself, I know I should be outside with my scopes but its JUST TO COLD ! I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all the brave astronomers out there that are making the most of this clear cold spell :)

Sorry guys.

PS. Any tips on how to stay warm in the backyard would be great.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been the same for the last few days. I'll probably get out tonight for a bit if it is clear earlyish (not doing a lot of hours :) ). As to staying warm - it's layers. I will be wearing:

- 2x socks - thin and thick, and a pair of mountain boots

- Undies, thermal long johns, jeans

- Thermal vest, T shirt, jumper, down jacket

- Thin gloves, ski gloves

- Scarf

- Thick hat, hood from down jacket.

I'm hoping that little lot will keep me warm :)

No such thing as "too cold", there is such a thing as inadequate clothing though. Pay particular attention to hands & feet - and the head, you lose lost of heat through the top of your head, especially if (like mine) your thatch is thinning out.

More layers, loose enough to trap air (which provides most of the insulation) is better than fewer layers. When there is a breeze you need a windproof shell over the top.

You want to be dry & not too warm when you get kitted up - sweat will spoil the insulation. When outside, keep moving. Take 10 mins brisk walk before you become frozen to the spot, but not enough to get sweaty (see above).

Hot drinks are good, anything containing alcohol is bad - it may make you feel more comfortable but increases heat loss & can lead to hypothermia.

Considering it has been down to minus 12 and beyond in places, I think you can be excused. :)

Personally, I have got nothing done because my patio is under a foot of snow. I was going to clear it, but an avalanche from the roof dumped a nice mound of solid stuff right outside the conservatory door and I can't get it open!

Disgraceful!! We didn't win the war by not going outside when it was "too cold". I was outside for an hour last night with my scope(the coldest night for 30yrs) here in Cheshire (minus 18 at Woodford) and i'd been working on the farm all day freezing my barlows off! In my book it's desertion of duty and demands a firing squad!!!

I braved the cold for 30 mins or so last night, dug the tripod into the snow. I had a really stunning view of the Orion nebula, and my first proper glimpse of Mars. Needed a stiff whiskey when I came indoors though.

Last night was very cold - I thought I was on a winner as my laptop mouse pad started to work with my gloves. then sadly after an hour stopped :)

So having to set up cam - having to type or mouse click bare fingered for only 5 mins at a time - they were getting frozen.

So gave up imaging as the seeing was poo and mars was giving me a merry dance, screwed on the reducer and went looking for a few of my favourite planetry Nebs.

Had a lovely view of the Owl nebula last night - a much underated object...:)

Chris

Yeah! no sense in freezing to death, although the correct attire can save the night. I used to have a one piece suit, similar to what high altitude flyers wore. A Balaclava, and a pair of Moon Boots.

Warm as toast, but my fingers used to suffer badly.

I give credit to Carol (Talitha) here though. Living in Wisconsin, and braving temperatures way below what we endure here, she did some fine sketches under those very cold conditions..

Ron.

I wear my all in one red floatation suit which i use for night fishing.

My wife says i look like Bruce Willis in that doomsday rock film.:):D

I use my 2 piece floatation suit aswell. The one that I use when I'm out on the boat, keeps me so warm but the smell of cod is a bit much.:)

i'll admit i'm struggling, never used to have a problem with the cold but sinc ei had the swine flu and ended up with this post viral syndrome thingy it just seems to get right to me. it's not so much feeling cold as my joints start to get stiff / painfull and i struggle to walk or bend my legs and arms :)

1 Pair of thin socks, 1 Pair of Thermal socks & Army boots :)

Boxers, thermal longjohns, fleece lined trackky bottoms and camo bottoms over those.

T-shirt, fleece jumper, fleece jacket and my windproof fishing jacket.

1 Pair of gloves and a hat n ear warmers!!! kept me toasty from 10pm - 4am a couple of weeks back, was between -2 & -8 outside...but was well toasty.

As for all the old Rubbish about losing the majority of your heat from your head, thats just poppycock :) You lose heat evenly from all the surfaces of your body that are external (underarms, groin and such hold heat closer to the body)

Keeping extremities warm is definately key, but a nice wooly hat will do ya just as well as any new fandangle contraption.

i'll admit i'm struggling, never used to have a problem with the cold but sinc ei had the swine flu and ended up with this post viral syndrome thingy it just seems to get right to me. it's not so much feeling cold as my joints start to get stiff / painfull and i struggle to walk or bend my legs and arms :)

Then you ought to give your system more time to recover, and not subject yourself to severe cold. Not worth the risk to your long term health mate.

Ron.

-8 by night here. I'm not afraid of the cold but i'm not stupid either. Nope........i'm gonna stay in and wait till it warms up a few degrees and all this damn ice (3" of it) melts sometime in the next 2 weeks. More snow for the weekend..............YAY...........i have not been able to go out of the house since new years eve.

Been out from 10 pm till 7:30 am ... temp around -7, cold for this close to the coast - excellent clothing meant I was actually slightly too warm, had to doff the jacket when packing up as I was starting to sweat. 1-2mm of hoar frost on the scope except in the vicinity of the dew straps.

No such thing as "too cold"

Oh yes there is, lol. :p C'mon over Brian, it'd be interesting to see how long you survive out at the Starpad when it's -40C. :) :) ;) Me? I'd be sitting in front of a 260C woodstove with a glass of wine. :mad:

...but my fingers used to suffer badly.

I give credit to Carol (Talitha) here though. Living in Wisconsin, and braving temperatures way below what we endure here, she did some fine sketches under those very cold conditions..

Ron.

Ron, i'll let you know if i can convince the Gents at NASA to sell me a few pairs of astronaut gloves. :) Yes, it gets cold in northern Wisconsin but i'm acclimated and always take care not to go out when the temperature is deadly. When it gets down to about -17C the movements of the mount freeze, so that's usually my limit unless I'm using the binos.

My personal record for being out in the cold was about 10 years ago.. an hour and a half in -26C to film my first Auroral display. I was ok but had to change film in the Olympus OM-1n when it shattered because i advanced it too quickly... stripped the gears on the advance flipper too, but the pics were worth it. :p

Has anyone ever tried using an observing (patio) umbrella? I read about them in a Sky and Telescope article a long time ago and they really work. The article said the umbrella shields you from the 'chill of Space' and also said the temperature is actually warmer under the umbrella. From personal experience i can tell you that it's dew-free under the umbrella, too.. keeps my sketch paper nice and dry. :mad:

Out of curiosity i took a temperature test a number of years ago and it was indeed 6F warmer under the umbrella. Body heat wasn't a factor, because i walked 30' away from the umbrella and made sure the breeze was coming at me from that direction. Nothing was under the umbrella, either... no scope, no heat tapes, no thermos.

Has anyone ever tried using an observing (patio) umbrella? I read about them in a Sky and Telescope article a long time ago and they really work. The article said the umbrella shields you from the 'chill of Space' and also said the temperature is actually warmer under the umbrella. From personal experience i can tell you that it's dew-free under the umbrella, too.. keeps my sketch paper nice and dry. :)

Out of curiosity i took a temperature test a number of years ago and it was indeed 6F warmer under the umbrella. Body heat wasn't a factor, because i walked 30' away from the umbrella and made sure the breeze was coming at me from that direction. Nothing was under the umbrella, either... no scope, no heat tapes, no thermos.

That's a great idea Talitha, makes for a quick obs to keep out stray light too!

it'd be interesting to see how long you survive out at the Starpad when it's -40C.

Hmm, well I did survive 3 days on an Alpine mountain at -35C with winds gusting to 100 knots - small exposed ledge, wasn't even able to stamp around & hot drinks were out of the question. Not comfortable but no permanent damage. And able to self-extricate when the storm eased off.

Don't push yourself, my wife went down with gladular and suffered with post viral syndrome. She soldiered on, but ended up with full blown M.E. and that's no fun I can tell you. I hope you get well soon and if you do start feeling better, still take it easy and gradually build your activity rate up.

Archived