Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova 2009JF

RobH

I was out the other night and grabbed a few subs of NGC7479 as I'd heard there was a supernova currently doing what supernovae do in it.

It's in the upper left of the galaxy.

I'd taken a few subs 2 years before with a DSI and 14 inch SCT, so I rescaled with registar and this is my first attempt at an animation.

The difference between the amount of light gathered with the 14 and quite a few subs, and my 6 inch frac and very few subs is obvious, so apologies about the quality. ;)

Click on the image for the animation.

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877407124_thumb.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rob

are you hoping to image the 'fade'?

Ian

I would love to shoot the galaxy in detailed LRGB, both during, and after, but I'm back at work in a week, which means I'll be out of the country until Christmas, so I'll miss it.

It'd be a great image for someone to do though ;)

The subs are 8 x 5 minutes with the refractor, and a lot more, but only 2 minute, subs with the 14.

I have equalised them a bit before I put them together though.

Cheers

Rob

• 1 month later...

A great image with interest Rob! As it is in another galaxy, absolutely no danger. If it were in our part of the Milky Way, then that's a different matter. Radiation would destroy the ozone layer and life and if it was a nearby star, could strip away the atmosphere.

Richard

Archived