Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi-Res Moon shots 91.5% phase.

johnh

SPX350, EQ6, DMK21AF, 2xCelestronUltima working at F16.8 - 0.20"/pixel.

The Moon was only 35deg altitude entering Pisces last Sunday, I wondered what detail I could see without much shadow and found the lunar surface showed detail I have not seen before. Dark craters and bright spots, strange sleeks on lava floor near Plato.

Craters - Plato/Copernicus/Tycho. 900frames from 3580frames stacked with AviStack for each.

Thanks, JohnH.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... and I mean Wow (said it out loud while sitting at this internet machine in the hotel lounge) I now have another sat here (not an astronomer) who also said wow.

Nice images...well done. Keep those coming!

Really, really good ..... personally I would have increased the gamma a bit and probably ended up with slightly less spectacular results!

Were you using a filter? Red, or infrared??

Seeing must have been fairly steady....

Blimey. I have been sat here speechless admiring these. Fabulous fabulous shots John, the detail in the crater walls is absolutely staggering.

Those three are going straight into my pics folder that is reserved for HST pics, APODs, and the best of the best on here.

In fact, have you thought about sending those off to APOD? They rarely have lunar shots, and these definetly have the quality!

Gonna show these to my mrs tomorrow. Superb work John.

Wow! these are stunning, normall I have use a bit of imagination to see the craterlets in Plato but they positively jump out in your image. Awesome detail! thanks for posting!:)

Sam

I am overwhelmed by your praise, it wasn't a serious capture either just a scout around. I used an Ir742nm filter first but gain was on full and too noisey but the Astronomik red satisfied with 60fps gain 500 taken 0201-0233hrs GMT on 9.8.09. My CelestronUltima has quite a bit of extension to get 3.7x which is near the limit at 5860mm fl, I should have tried the TVx3 at 6820mm fl or further. My collimation this time was spot on!

AviStack was used with ImageAnalyser, AviStack is much better than Registax5 as it has 1000 align points but takes 90 mins but is worth wait as result is so much sharper.

My best one was probably Moretus or Theophilus attached below which has a bit more shadow.

Thanks again for your kind comments which mean a lot to me - keeps me going.

JohnH.

Archived