Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A report of not much consequence...

lulu57

Well, it's been so long.

Circumstances have conspired to hold me back.

But tonight I got out with the 8se, and had a peak between the clouds.

I can't talk about it technically like you guys can.

I never mean it to be, but it always ends up being an emotional experience for me.

I sat looking at Albireo for about 20 minutes: like 2 mismatched ear rings - topaz and amber - hanging in the sky. I put the image out of focus for about 5 minutes, just so I could appreciate their different sizes and colours.

Then I checked out Epsilon Lyrae, with my binoculars first, then the scope. I know what's going to happen before it happens, but I always feel it's a revelation when those stars come out of hiding. It's like cosmic peep-o.:)

Then I made the best move of the night: I switched off the scope and just looked up. I occasionally looked at the planisphere, but I mainly just looked up.

I saw 3 shooting stars. I traced out all the stars in Hercules, Bootes and Corona Borealis. I just looked at them quietly and didn't try to achieve anything. The odd satellite passed by. The wind rustled through the black poplars and I felt as well and as peaceful as I have in several weeks.

If God made it, he's a genius.

If it's chaos, then we are incredibly lucky.

It's more of an impression than a report.

(I did warn you I'd get emotional. Sorry! :))

I sat looking at Albireo for about 20 minutes: like 2 mismatched ear rings - topaz and amber - hanging in the sky

Fantastic description Lulu. Only you could describe them like ear rings. Well done.

I'm a newbie round here - just starting out with my Celestron Nexstar 6SE. I have to say I found this message really inspiring. I've long been telling myself that I must not get too caught up in the technicalities of my new toy and just appreciate the universe as I can see it. I have resolved to put the go-to to one side and spend time just looking and to gradually get to know the constellations. This has given me the inspiration to do just that.

There's something really Zen-like about your posting. Thanks.

Lulu, it's almost a struggle to decide what to do on a very clear night, with the distractions of the Milky Way, isn't it? :) It seems you have got a balance between looking through the scope and just taking in the panorama of the sky with your eyes.

A really beautiful report, you conveyed your experience in a very emotive and visual manner, it was a joy to read on this cloudy, grey Tuesday morning.

it's funny, despite spending hours looking through a scope or bino's some of the most enjoyable viewing i get is when i take a coffe break at work and can just stand outside and look up for 10 or 15 mins (no longer that that boss if your reading this, honest :) )

despite the outside lighting and street lights im usually able to make out stars down to about 4.0 and a few passing satalites

failing that, if im not working i'll usually stick my head through the back door (sometimes i open it first but thats a different story) before i go to bed and take a quick look only to find i've spent an hour staring ( or should that be star ing?) up at the sky. in particular i tend to set myself the challenge of not going to bed till i've seen a meteor or satalite

Lou, I'm filling up here! What will we be like after some wine at SGL5!? I dread to think!! :) a really beautiful report. I often find that kind of astronomy - looking up, gazing back in time just appreciating the serenity of it all and not getting tangled up in the particulars of it all - like 'chicken soup for the soul, if you get my drift. We should all try do this more, really. If only life didn't get in the way.

I wonder if the three shooting stars you saw were part of the Perseid meteor shower? It doesn't peak til August 12th(ish) but it may have been!

But who cares? the main thing is that you had a really great time. :)

nice report,

stargazing does make u wonder alot at times,

i at times feel there is so much to view and enjoy just scanning skys away from my scope, normally wen having cig n hot drink, and just look up and admire take in the views so to speak

James

I always see it as something to experience rather than a mystery to be analysed myself. Sometime I step back from the scope and look at the scope against the sky. The scope and all around it is but a tiny portion of a universe of infinite wonder to me. Whats more amazing is I am alive to see it. I sometimes wonder if on some faraway planet some other species is also staring upwards through their telescope and also wondering.

Without sparking off a science .v. religion debate when I look up I find it hard to think of it in terms of science - I dont think science has all the answers nor will it ever. I see my observing as a kind of communing with the infinite rather than a scientific pursuit.

I know I may come over as a tech head on here but I am not terribly scientific about my observing for sure. I love the mechanics of the scope and its gubbins but out there - phew - I dont think we'll ever have answers to it all. I'm just happy to be here to see it myself.

.... some of the most enjoyable viewing i get is when i take a coffe break at work and can just stand outside and look up for 10 or 15 mins (no longer that that boss if your reading this, honest :) )

You so do not want your boss to be aware of this forum!

Well... cough .. oh well....

That's a lovely 'report' Lulu - the best nights for me are those where I take about half an hour to just sit back and soak up the view :)

James

I'd say your report had quite a bit consequence Lulu. The mere fact that you managed to get the scope out and do any observing is excellent. I haven't managed any observing for ages thanks to the weather and work pressures.

Turning the scope off and just looking up ???...............Bliss. It's how we all started and it's fantastic sometimes to just sit back and take in the whole vista rather than the tunnel vision effect of using a scope.

Thanks again, guys!

Just been to France and I took my 4" SCT.

I saw Jupiter and its moons - and I saw stripes - woo hoo!

I was so excited, I got my French neighbour, Marie, to come and have a look at it.

It was fun trying to explain to her in French why I wanted her to come outside with me at midnight - but she went along with it.

She said it was "superbe".:)

Archived