Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurorae likely tonight!!

I'd posted to our club Facebook group and to the family WhatsApp "look to the north", so when we went out we spent the first 10 minutes looking north and feeling rather underwhelmed.

Then I accidentally turned around and looked up.

Definitely overwhelmed.

img_1_1715427185093.jpg

• Like 5

This is all over FB and the news and all social media, I expect that a very high number of folks experienced this marvel.
For those of us in astro clubs, we may see inquisitive new members look us up after this, which is all good.

I see the press etc are predicting the same for tonight, clearly they have better crystal balls than the rest of us.
And more importantly how can we have a clash with the event of the Year on the same night,
I talk of the Eurovision Song Contest of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I confess I totally missed Friday night's display.:embarrassed:

I am hoping to catch at least the tail end tonight, any suggestions for capture settings on the All Sky camera for this phenomenon? The camera is an ASI 120c, I was going for a 2.5 sec exposure every 30 secs for 2-3 hrs? 

42 minutes ago, tomato said:

I confess I totally missed Friday night's display.:embarrassed:

I am hoping to catch at least the tail end tonight, any suggestions for capture settings on the All Sky camera for this phenomenon? The camera is an ASI 120c, I was going for a 2.5 sec exposure every 30 secs for 2-3 hrs? 

If you really want to catch the best of it then go with 1.0 to 2.0s exposures every 10 seconds. Every 30s will mean you miss too much as it's changing all the time, it can move quite fast and also has periods of strong & weaker light.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Timelapse using 35mm lens on D800E from the front garden looking almost vertical towards the south.

What settings did you use please for a cracking video 👍

4 hours ago, 900SL said:

How did I miss this??? :)

Tonight is looking decent too. Some cloud possibly but a good chance of spotting these. For comparison these were on par, or maybe stronger than those amazing lights we saw that one winter night. And thats from bortle 8 - truly bonkers.

What an amazing night! Such beautiful pictures on this thread, and it’s great that so many got to enjoy the display!

I watched on and off and between around 10:30pm to 3:00am, from 3 different local spots. I’ve barely started sorting through the hundreds of images yet, but here’s a couple, taken with an EOS 5D MkIII and Samyang 14mm at f/4. Sorry, I think I overdid the colour saturation 😄.

Regards, Mike

5O9A5457.jpeg

5O9A5501.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Tonight is looking decent too. Some cloud possibly but a good chance of spotting these. For comparison these were on par, or maybe stronger than those amazing lights we saw that one winter night. And thats from bortle 8 - truly bonkers.

I'm ready, Nikon and 20mm f1.8, I missed it last time, I was driving back after packing up early.. Fingers crossed, sky very clear here in Veikkola apart from some high cirrus, should be clear after midnight

10 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Oh wow, this is current situation, never seen this:

image.thumb.png.9535226d8c2df56d517f0991ceaf6ec1.png

Im heading to the usual imaging spot to try and see them. Think i'll climb the bird watching tower, should be a pretty good view if skies are clear.

36 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Im heading to the usual imaging spot to try and see them. Think i'll climb the bird watching tower, should be a pretty good view if skies are clear.

I'd join you there but I've had a few beers, so no driving. Clear skies!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Elp said:

Is aurorawatch down?

I think we’ve all crashed it.

I’m getting notifications but the map isn’t working, and the bar chart updates but it takes a long time. Currently on 614nT updated at 10:30 for me.

Edited by WolfieGlos
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much nothing but cloud here tonight :clouds1:. Met office cloud forecast thinks it might clear around midnight.

bbc forecast shows clear skies all night 🤷‍♂️  Hopefully it clears, but then after last nights spectacle, I could do with some sleep…