NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope you'd like in your collection within budget.

On 16/03/2024 at 09:25, Mr Spock said:

Well, as the saying goes, "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true"

My logic is more practical though :wink2:

The research into a new telescope along with the anticipation and expectation.

• Like 3

On 29/03/2024 at 16:13, Chaz2b said:

Questar 3.5”…

I have the  plain field scope version (ex WD) , which does not come out much but so wondefully constructed I doubt I will ever part with it. The full bling and mount ones dont tempt me, but I can see the appeal.

• Like 2

I'd love a Lunt 60 double stack solar h-alpha telescope. It, or a single stack, could be in budget soon, but a dob is looking more likely to scoff the budget. Those solar scopes can get a lot of use during the year, though, especially if you can observe during lunchtime. So in a way, I think they're not as expensive as they look. Or perhaps a Solar Spectrum H-alpha filter.

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, LukeTheNuke said:

I'd love a Lunt 60 double stack solar h-alpha telescope. It, or a single stack, could be in budget soon, but a dob is looking more likely to scoff the budget. Those solar scopes can get a lot of use during the year, though, especially if you can observe during lunchtime. So in a way, I think they're not as expensive as they look. Or perhaps a Solar Spectrum H-alpha filter.

I've a LS50DS, and yeah Ha is expensive!  I love it though - so quick and easy to throw outside for a quick few mins peep at what's going on... and now is a great time to have one with lots of activity.  Even after years of owning it, it still gets lots of use, even with Irish weather!!

(Of course a dob is a great thing too 😎)

Edited by niallk
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Marc1964 said:

TeleVue 60 with suitable zoom and Celestron C5/6; probably the 5 due to size but 6 is so tempting!

Would that be the C6/SCT?

post-4682-0-35025000-1347104185_thumb.jpg

Image above of my C6/SCT and TeleVue Ranger mounted on a Tele-Optic Giro GR-DX.

Have I tempted you? 😉

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 13:05, Stu1smartcookie said:

I would like to have a Tak in my collection, but i am not sure even a Tak can cut through the incessant rain and cloud. In reality i am quite happy with my three scopes . Different focal  lengths and ratios . I might even get to use them one night lol 

@Stu1smartcookie mate I feel your pain. I too am at a loss to understand how our UK weather has been so so bad for so so long now?? I hear folk on YouTube complaining because they have had clouds non stop "for 2 weeks" ?? Haha my goodness I would bite your hand off if you offered me 2 weeks of clouds then a clear night sky!!! Us UK folk are going MONTHS without a single clear night sky!!! 😩😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wesdon1 said:

My dream 'scope within a reasonable budget would be a Tak Refractor 100mm to 150mm. 

Just go for the TOA150 - £14k, buy once, cry once 🥴
Oh and then you may need a big mount - cry twice 🤣

Edited by dweller25
  • Haha 7

My dream scope would ge eye sight and an Askar 185 triplet, but not sure I can handle it physically. Would I see a big difference with my Celestron R6?
It is so nice to observe through refractors. Would I see a "big" difference with a triplets and an extra inch? I leave my scope outside during the dry season, of course well covered, here in Northern California.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2024 at 14:55, LukeTheNuke said:

I'd love a Lunt 60 double stack solar h-alpha telescope.

Same here. A small Lunt (40-50), double stack ideally. It’s often sunny here during the day but cloudy at night and I’m getting a little bored with white light projection. 

I just got my hands at a great price on a Vixen 90/1300, the Polaris 90 L from 1981 (optics, finder, eyepieces, star diagonal and tripod) that I had wanted to get for a long time and that I saw advertised in magazines in the 80s of astronomy at a price that was impossible for me (I was a student at school); then (since December 1983) I had a Japanese achromat 60/700...... I will use it very well on the Moon, doubles, planets including Mars in particular for the opposition of January 2025!!!

Edited by Gonariu
  • Like 3

An apochromat certainly gives an optical color rendering that is twice as good as a simple achromat. I have heard conflicting opinions on the resolution regarding the short-focus achromatic doubles: according to some they would reach the theoretical limit of separation, according to some others (the astronomer W. Ferreri of the Turin Astronomical Observatory) in a review of the Ziel Gem 60 his yield is that of a good long focus achromat of 90 mm, i.e. 1.3" and not 1" as the famous formula P = 120/D would dictate (with P separation in seconds of arc and D diameter of the objective in mm, as we all know).
Regarding the 185mm Askar, an apochromat with such a large objective I think it's been a long time since we heard about it; When I was a boy (90s) I heard about the Meade 178mm apochromatic lens and I think it was a great tool. The point is another: what would I do with optics of this type, having remained a "curious about the sky" or little more, I think I would not fully exploit its possibilities; I know very well that those of you who had the number of clear nights typical of the Mediterranean climate of Sardinia would value them VERY well, without a doubt. I like to see visually, for the Martian opposition of autumn 2022 I spent a good hour at the eyepiece of an achromatic 120/600 at X200-X300 to draw a drawing of the Red Planet as accurately as possible, then at 2 -3 in the morning I put everything in and went to bed, thanks to the still semi-summer weather which allowed me to stay in my t-shirt until that hour most of the time. A 185mm apo would force another use otherwise it is wasted.

• Like 1

Like others above, I too hanker after an Astro-Physics. I’ve never looked through one. Luckily I’ve been on the waiting list for a 130 GTX since 2017, and judging by those who got theirs a few months ago after getting wait-listed at a similar time, I reckon I’ll be on the next batch. Notwithstanding the fact that my beloved Stellarvue 140 is likely as good (and 10cm more aperture), I will still probably go for it when it gets made available. When would I ever get another chance?

Magnus

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Like others above, I too hanker after an Astro-Physics. I’ve never looked through one. Luckily I’ve been on the waiting list for a 130 GTX since 2017, and judging by those who got theirs a few months ago after getting wait-listed at a similar time, I reckon I’ll be on the next batch. Notwithstanding the fact that my beloved Stellarvue 140 is likely as good (and 10cm more aperture), I will still probably go for it when it gets made available. When would I ever get another chance?

Magnus

Why ? even Roland acknowledge’s that the TOA130 is just as good so you are in the winning seat with your SV140 👍

Just trying to save you some money 🙂

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Why ? even Roland acknowledge’s that the TOA130 is just as good so you are in the winning seat with your SV140 👍

Just trying to save you some money 🙂

The trouble is, if you want something, you want it 🙂 It's (oddly) not just about one being slightly better than another. There is something about the Astro Physics marque that appeals and their scarcity (in the UK at least), cost and the figurehead of Roland is part of that, IMHO.

Taks are great though and available, more or less, off the shelf 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, John said:

The trouble is, if you want something, you want it 🙂 It's (oddly) not just about one being slightly better than another. There is something about the Astro Physics marque that appeals and their scarcity (in the UK at least), cost and the figurehead of Roland is part of that, IMHO.

Taks are great though and available, more or less, off the shelf 🙂

Totally agree John, but I am from Yorkshire and the head rules the heart 👍

AKA tight 🤣

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bingevader said:

Looking at the replies, I got a bit confused with the "within budget' of the title!

Whose budget?! :D

Please don’t be confused, we are just trying to spend other people’s money irrespective of any budget 🙂👍 

Edited by dweller25
  • Haha 4