Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Holy cow, did you see the weather forecast😭😭😭?

uhb1966

• Stu changed the title to Holy cow, did you see the weather forecast😭😭😭?

The forecast was rubbish tonight but, as it turned out, there were enough clear-ish patches to make observing worthwhile.

The value of having a setup that can be quickly deployed is really proving itself I think 👍

Edited by John
  • Like 4

John is right, you have to actively look for opportunities and have gear flexible enough to allow for a quick session. I had a great season last year, got out lots and lots when I heard others hadn’t had a session in weeks. However it’s been miserable and I miss a couple of nights a week or two ago with Covid. 

• Like 5

The weather has been rubbish here for weeks, with no prospect of improvement for the foreseeable.

I'm looking at Stellarium to see what HCG I might image next but have no idea when I will be able to do any more imaging. In any case the moon won't be out of the way until the 8th November.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Time to buy some more kit then that I won’t be able to use. Always makes me feel better.

I totally identify with this! It's taken all my will power and then some, to reign in my desire to buy more kit!

7 hours ago, John said:

The value of having a setup that can be quickly deployed is really proving itself I think

Totally agree and this is why my most used scope is my smallest (60mm). It was @DirkSteele's reviews of his adventures with an FS60/Q that helped persuade me to get a small scope. There are different views on what grab 'n' go is, but for me, it's lift the whole setup with two fingers, no complicated pirouetting to get it out a standard sized door, and no more than 15 seconds from picking it up to observing with it!

Malcolm 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I work in a rain sensitive industry. This summer and autumn have been a nightmare. Every shift being a difficult one. But, the last couple of days has been dry . I've watched the rainfall radar as the various fronts and showers have passed round us or parted like a biblical sea as they approached. There is some heavy rain forecast for us tonight and in the early hours of Sunday. Which is a special night shift for me. We get an extra hour at work, so it's a 13 hour shift  :(

Might get to see the grazing Lunar eclipse between the clouds though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

different views on what grab 'n' go is, but for me, it's lift the whole setup with two fingers, no complicated pirouetting to get it out a standard sized door, and no more than 15 seconds from picking it up to observing with it!

So thats  moderate binoculars then.

Not that they see through clouds but they are easy to point at the little clear bits in between momentarily 😁😁

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This year's certainly been the worst with summer not even coming really, a few hot days with the remaining being like spring does not count. It's next to impossible if you're imaging to do anything worthwhile.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2023 at 02:32, John said:

The forecast was rubbish tonight but, as it turned out, there were enough clear-ish patches to make observing worthwhile.

The value of having a setup that can be quickly deployed is really proving itself I think 👍

Yes, there was a small window of about 1,5 hours over here too, but as my son is here this weekend, i needed some qualitity time with him.

Also my eq-6 mount head is so heavy that i dont like to setup for such a short time - you are absolutely right,  a quick setup is so important!!

When those clear nights come it’s great, bit the long waits between them, particularly this year, are tiring. Last year November was a total write off, and with the current forecast…it’s looking the same again this year ☹️

Perhaps FLO ought to consider remote hosting, as I’m sure their sales must be taking a dent with all of us moaning all the time 🤣

• Thanks 1