SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Everything must go

Thalestris24

Hi all, hope everyone is well

I've not done any astro for a few years and now I'm moving. So I need to dispose of my kit and wanted to hear from anyone as to how best to do that. I'm happy to sell it at a very competitive price but it would have to be collected from Glasgow City. In the past the moderators have stopped me selling too cheap or putting things on the board without prices so thought I'd post here to see if there would be any interest?

Louise

It looks like you have some nice equipment and it would be a shame to sell to too cheap, especially as there are people who lurk on SGL specifically to pick up bargains and re-sell on eBay for a profit. Perhaps there is a friendly SGL’er who would help you price the equipment and place the adverts?  

16 minutes ago, RobertI said:

It looks like you have some nice equipment and it would be a shame to sell to too cheap, especially as there are people who lurk on SGL specifically to pick up bargains and re-sell on eBay for a profit. Perhaps there is a friendly SGL’er who would help you price the equipment and place the adverts?  

Yeah, I just updated my sig to reflect what I want to dispose of :) . The thing is I'm moving into sheltered accommodation and I really need to get rid of stuff within the next month, if possible. I could take it with me but the heq5 pro is heavy and it's going to be in the way. If I could find a new home for that at last, along with the 80mm apo, that would be good. The 150pds and 130pds I could just dump, really. The 150pds is basically ok afaik but the 130pds always had a problem with the focuser alignment. It might be fixable but I couldn't be bothered with it at the time and moved over to refractors! 

Louise

• Sad 4

43 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Best of luck Louise, both with shifting the gear and your own future, hope it all works out well for you 🙂

Cheers. Well I'm moving to sheltered housing so it's the beginning of the end for me! On the plus side, at least I'll never have to move again. At least, not so long as I'm alive...

Edited by Thalestris24
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Another thought, if it’s for pick-up only I wonder if one of the astro retailers like ENS Optical might buy it all as a job lot. If the job lot includes stuff you were going to throw away, it might be worthwhile.

It's a thought though they probably wouldn't want to travel all the way to Glasgow... Who would?

Perhaps contact local astronomy societies and inquire if they would circulate a list of items (via email) you have for sale next time they have their club meets. That way people within your area will be able to arrange to collect.

3 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Perhaps contact local astronomy societies and inquire if they would circulate a list of items (via email) you have for sale next time they have their club meets. That way people within your area will be able to arrange to collect.

Thanks but I don't know of any and I only have a few (very busy!) weeks to sort it out. If I have to I'll take the items with me and deal with them later though I still have the same problem of finding someone who wants them and can collect. It will all work out, I suppose.

Louise

This is the Federation of Astronomical Societies' list of affiliated clubs.  https://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/members-location-by-county/

If you were to contact the ones in your area, explaining your situation, I dare say you'd soon be talking to a human being willing to help you and, at the same time, help his friends/fellow members find their way to some bargains.

My policy has always been to sell cheaply and sell quickly.

I hope you won't be so sheltered as to leave SGL!

Olly

49 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This is the Federation of Astronomical Societies' list of affiliated clubs.  https://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/members-location-by-county/

If you were to contact the ones in your area, explaining your situation, I dare say you'd soon be talking to a human being willing to help you and, at the same time, help his friends/fellow members find their way to some bargains.

My policy has always been to sell cheaply and sell quickly.

I hope you won't be so sheltered as to leave SGL!

Olly

Hi Olly! Hope you are well. There is a society in Glasgow though I don't know how much 'amateur' astronomy its members get involved with. Glasgow isn't really the place...  Believe me! Thanks for the list and I will drop them a line and see what they say. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with all the things I have to do to move home. It all happened the week before last and out of the blue. A phone call on the Monday 11th from the housing association., then a viewing on the 13th,  and signing for the new flat keys that afternoon. I have so many things to sort out and arrange - dealing with the astro kit is really only a very small part! I may have to just take it with me. It's all daunting, especially being entirely on my own. Still, Ill manage - somehow. Carpets are being laid on Thursday and I'll have to order some white goods in. Then need at least some furniture... The list goes on and on!

All the best

Louise

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

In the past the moderators have stopped me selling too cheap or putting things on the board without prices 

How much you charge is entirely up to you.

We ask only that members not place for sale ads outside the buy/sell boards and, when an item is offered for sale, it includes a price. 

HTH

26 minutes ago, Steve said:

How much you charge is entirely up to you.

We ask only that members not place for sale ads outside the buy/sell boards and, when an item is offered for sale, it includes a price. 

HTH

Yes I know though I was admonished previously for trying to sell some things too cheap.

Louise

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

Yes I know though I was admonished previously for trying to sell some things too cheap.

I doubt you were admonished. What you charge for something is none of our business. Perhaps someone suggested an item was worth more than your asking price. He/she probably thought they were being helpful. 

HTH

Hello @Thalestris24.  Sorry to hear you’re selling up. I think it’s a good suggestion to approach a local astronomy society. My local As group helped someone out in similar circumstances. I wish you well for the future and hope you continue to drop in here from time to time.   

Edited by Ouroboros

9 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Hello @Thalestris24.  Sorry to hear you’re selling up. I think it’s a good suggestion to approach a local astronomy society. My local As group helped someone out in similar circumstances. I wish you well for the future and hope you continue to drop in here from time to time.   

Hi, thanks for your interest! I haven't done any astro  for years. I started selling up over a year ago. I let someone on here have my AVX mount. Although there is a local  society - Astronomical Society of Glasgow I don't know that their members do much practical amateur astronomy. The skies here are pretty terrible. I'll still be around and might post occasionally in the microscopy section once I've settled in to my new home and got things set up.

Louise

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Thanks but I don't know of any and I only have a few (very busy!) weeks to sort it out. If I have to I'll take the items with me and deal with them later though I still have the same problem of finding someone who wants them and can collect. It will all work out, I suppose.

Louise

All the best for your new move, appreciate that it will be hectic. 

I would expect that some folk in the Glasgow area would travel south to the Galloway astronomy centre and that following the autumn equinox there will be a lot of newbies, perhaps students etc looking to join societies for at least a taster in amateur astronomy. Understand though that time may require for boxing your equipment for now, whilst pursuing the best means to move this on.

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

All the best for your new move, appreciate that it will be hectic. 

I would expect that some folk in the Glasgow area would travel south to the Galloway astronomy centre and that following the autumn equinox there will be a lot of newbies, perhaps students etc looking to join societies for at least a taster in amateur astronomy. Understand though that time may require for boxing your equipment for now, whilst pursuing the best means to move this on.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't think my kit is really for most beginners. Maybe the EQ3 Pro, though that's the one I'd consider keeping as it's portable. The scopes and mounts have been living in the living room since I bought them! I would dismantle the Heq5 Syntek from its pedestal mount and also take the 80mm APO off for transporting. Hopefully the Man with a Van will be ok with that when the time comes!

Cheers

Louise

• Like 1

Hi  Louise, first, sorry to hear of your predicament. I know the sheltered housing thing well as my mother decided to live in one for a number of years. It was compact but really, it suited her quite well. She was closer to family too. I'm in the borders and could, possibly, be interested in your Photoline 115 and the HEQ5 and could get around to picking up. Where can  I  find your asking prices? Or should I message you?

Regards,

Mark

13 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Moving is a nightmare and I fervently hope never to do it again! Very best of luck, Louise.

Olly

It is - especially when you have the added accumulation of 12 years of  miscellaneous 'stuff'! On the plus side the 'new' flat is only 6 mins walk away so at least I don't have to go far!

Thanks

Louise

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark2022 said:

Hi  Louise, first, sorry to hear of your predicament. I know the sheltered housing thing well as my mother decided to live in one for a number of years. It was compact but really, it suited her quite well. She was closer to family too. I'm in the borders and could, possibly, be interested in your Photoline 115 and the HEQ5 and could get around to picking up. Where can  I  find your asking prices? Or should I message you?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

TBH it was a way to get social housing after my current landlord (understandably) wanted me to move on. The sheltered flat is similar to what I've been living in i.e. quite spacious. It also has gas central heating which is a bonus (I think!). But it's unfurnished so I'm left with a lot to do before I can properly move in.  Thanks for your interest in my kit! Of course, I'm only allowed to sell on here via the appropriate forum. What I'll do is I'll put the details of the mount and scope in the buy/sell section when I get a minute (in the next few days). I'm not sure what prices to put but they won't be expensive. However, it will have to be first come, first served. At the moment I have the Apo 80 on the Heq5 but I can swap over with the 115mm and take a pic. I have extra weights for the Heq5 so I'll be able to balance but can't really demonstrate the mount properly. The last time I used it, it was fine and the motors all run ok. It's never been out in the open.

All the best

Louise

• Like 1