Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are cheap zoom eyepieces worth it?

spacegalaxy

I recently found this:

https://tejraj.com/multi-coated-zoom-eyepiece.html

So, is this worth it? I am used to 25mm kellner (and its fov), but the 10mm is way too small, and the idea that I might do planetary, doubles and globular clusters in a single eyepiece is pretty exciting, and I can only get two plossl with that money so is this a good zoom ep?

Also, might as well add: 

The telescope is 70mm in diameter, 700mm in focal length. I am looking for a grab n go setup 

The speciation of the zoom eps:

7-21mm 

Fully multi coated

Four lens eyepiece (?)

Apparent field of view 30° - 43°

Not parfocal

Eye relief 33.0mm (I highly doubt that)

Barrel security recess - No (What does the even mean?)

Blackened lens edges - Yes

Made out of aluminium

As with most things, you get what you pay for with zooms. I have no idea what that one costs as I've not heard of the brand, but you might also consider a Svbony 171 or 191. An OVL Hyperflex would be even better but more expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cajen2 said:

As with most things, you get what you pay for with zooms. I have no idea what that one costs as I've not heard of the brand, but you might also consider a Svbony 171 or 191. An OVL Hyperflex would be even better but more expensive.

I was looking at it, but it's out of stock in Amazon India, interestingly I couldn't find it anywhere else, do you know where I could find it?

2 minutes ago, spacegalaxy said:

I tried, doesn't seem like it ships here, are there any other zooms, from major brands, for cheap?

None that I know of at that price level. The cheapest I can find is this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-eyepieces/stellalyra-8-24mm-1-25-inch-lanthanum-zoom-eyepiece.html

and I'm sure FLO would post to India.

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

None that I know of at that price level. The cheapest I can find is this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-eyepieces/stellalyra-8-24mm-1-25-inch-lanthanum-zoom-eyepiece.html

Yes, it does ship to India, but with that kind of money, I would rather buy the skywatcher plossl's!

Edited by spacegalaxy

2 minutes ago, spacegalaxy said:

How much do you think is the shipping cost to India?

Even if it adds up to 100$ it is pretty well in my budget, just a bit more expensive than the one I linked in the first post

No idea - you'd have to contact them. 

I don't know the Orion one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbo64 said:

Cheap is a relative term, I bought one of these recently and am delighted with it. Not cheap (at around £100) in many respects, but it is much less than the Baader Hyperion I started looking at: https://www.365astronomy.com/celestron-zoom-eyepiece-1.25-in-8-24mm 

Those look fine, but with tax they are almost 200 quids!

A lot of the cheaper zoom eyepieces of sundry brands are essentially the same (you can tell by looking at the specs and sales pictures.)  Some models of the 7-21mm variety were reported to be awful.

I have a 8-24mm BST Starguider zoom which looks just like several other brands, e.g. Celestron. It did not cost much, and performs quite well optically.  BUT the action is so stiff that I have to take it off the telescope to adjust it, and the FOV at 24mm is so small that I never use that setting.

A small FOV at lower power is a common feature of zoom eyepieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacegalaxy said:

This is exactly the same as the Svbony 7-21mm although higher priced.  It's not bad at all at  f/10, although well behind expensive zooms like the Baader.  However, it's likely way ahead of the 4 element one you first asked about, both in quality and field of view.  It's also very lightweight, that'll be a plus with your entry level mount.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spacegalaxy said:

Ok, I checked it with the people on the other side (Cloudynights) and they seem to have a general consensus that it is good for it's money, here's the tread:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/713122-i-don’t-know-what-to-title-this-eyepiece-thread/

(Also, that isn't my thread)

Edited by spacegalaxy

15 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

This is exactly the same as the Svbony 7-21mm although higher priced.

Oh, but I can't find it in stock in India, so I think I will go for the orion

It's not bad at all at  f/10, although well behind expensive zooms like the Baader.

I don't expect a baader view, but it will be an upgrade over my kellner won't they?

It's also very lightweight, that'll be a plus with your entry level mount.

Yeah, I was looking at the zooms because of that, they are lightweight and no need to take three eyepieces and a Barlow for a observing session

Aso thanks for the detailed information @Second Time Around

Edited by spacegalaxy

1 hour ago, spacegalaxy said:

Yeah, I was looking at the zooms because of that, they are lightweight and no need to take three eyepieces and a Barlow for a observing session

I would take a 24mm to 32mm widest field eyepiece along to supplement the zoom.  If your scope can handle the power, a shorty Barlow might pair nicely with the zoom to get to higher powers.

• Like 1

I have used 3 different zoom eyepieces.  All were 8 to 24mm.  The Celestron, the Orion and the Baader.  The Celestron and Orion were run side by side in three different quality scopes.  The Baader was run later  in two different scopes.  Qualitywise the Orion was right in the middle giving better light transmission then the Celestron but not quite as good as the Baader.  Pricewise it was also right in the middle of the two at 200 bucks.  It was money well spent.  I am sure there is a generic version of this as Orion just rebrands a cheaper model with their name.  

Screenshot_20220224-061015.png

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
On 23/02/2022 at 11:08, cajen2 said:

I have the Orion version of this eyepiece.  It works very good on planets and you get decent deep sky images too.  It is way better then the 7 to 21 eyepieces, easily better then the 8 to 24 Celestron and only a half a step behind the Baader 8 to 24.  This eyepeice gets two thumbs up.

8 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

I have the Orion version of this eyepiece.  It works very good on planets and you get decent deep sky images too.  It is way better then the 7 to 21 eyepieces, easily better then the 8 to 24 Celestron and only a half a step behind the Baader 8 to 24.  This eyepeice gets two thumbs up.

Does it have 20mm of usable eye relief for eyeglass wearers as claimed by both Orion and FLO?

Just now, Louis D said:

Does it have 20mm of usable eye relief for eyeglass wearers as claimed by both Orion and FLO?

I have never really measured it, but I also don't wear my glasses when I am looking through the eyepiece.  I can say there does seem to be a fair amount of space between my eye and the eyepiece.  Hope that helps

This Lanthanum zoom sounds interesting.

@MikeQ.  How parfocal is it compared with the other zooms you've tried?

What's the maximum width? I'm wondering whether it can be used in binoviewers.

Can the eyecup be removed?  If so, what's the diameter under the eyecup?  This is to see whether a Dioptrix can be fitted.

Many thanks.

Edited by Second Time Around