NLC-Banner.thumb.jpg.acb5ba835b9e8bf0718b90539633017d.jpg

8 hours ago, Louis D said:

But you've felt no need to raise the twist-up eye cup due to excessive eye relief?

The only time I have adjusted it was by accident.  I leave it right where it is.

8 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

This Lanthanum zoom sounds interesting.

@MikeQ.  How parfocal is it compared with the other zooms you've tried?

What's the maximum width? I'm wondering whether it can be used in binoviewers.

Can the eyecup be removed?  If so, what's the diameter under the eyecup?  This is to see whether a Dioptrix can be fitted.

Many thanks.

The parfocal part is pretty good.  Very little fine tuning is really needed when changing power. 

If I remember correctly we were using a Oberwerk BT100 and we were able to put different eyepieces side by side in it. That is how we did the comparison with Celestron and Baader.

I don't think I have ever tried to take the eyecap off, but I don't believe it does.  

I will attach the link to the video that gives the details on the eyepeice.

Edited by Mike Q

2 hours ago, Mike Q said:

I don't think I have ever tried to take the eyecap off, but I don't believe it does.  

The twist-up eye cup on my Celestron Regal 8-24mm zoom unscrews if you keep twisting down the eye cup.  It's counterintuitive on purpose, I believe.  The resulting exposed thread is perfect for winged eye guards for binoviewer use both because of its diameter and because it doesn't rotate during zooming like the BHZ's top.

1185993829_ZoomEyepieceEyecupRemoved.thumb.JPG.c5bcf9d53f50cd13dc288415eabd7c9d.JPG

Did I see that right in the video at the 2:25 mark?  The eye lens cap screws on over the entire eye cup assembly?  That is so cool!  I can't think of another eyepiece with such a cover.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

The twist-up eye cup on my Celestron Regal 8-24mm zoom unscrews if you keep twisting down the eye cup.  It's counterintuitive on purpose, I believe.  The resulting exposed thread is perfect for winged eye guards for binoviewer use both because of its diameter and because it doesn't rotate during zooming like the BHZ's top.

1185993829_ZoomEyepieceEyecupRemoved.thumb.JPG.c5bcf9d53f50cd13dc288415eabd7c9d.JPG

Did I see that right in the video at the 2:25 mark?  The eye lens cap screws on over the entire eye cup assembly?  That is so cool!  I can't think of another eyepiece with such a cover.

Yes the cap screws on and off.  I don't know if I like that or not.  If I get time this evening I will see if it comes apart like yours does.

Edited by Mike Q

2 hours ago, Mike Q said:

Yes the cap screws on and off.  I don't know if I like that or not.

Check to see if the eye cup is 2" in diameter.  The one on my Celestron Regal zoom is, and a soft plastic 2" cap fits over it perfectly:

193483903_CelestronZoomCapped.thumb.jpg.5613095544a89f065f8942da2eca97f6.jpg

You could then store away the original thread-on cap in the original eyepiece box if you want to resell it later.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Check to see if the eye cup is 2" in diameter.  The one on my Celestron Regal zoom is, and a soft plastic 2" cap fits over it perfectly:

193483903_CelestronZoomCapped.thumb.jpg.5613095544a89f065f8942da2eca97f6.jpg

You could then store away the original thread-on cap in the original eyepiece box if you want to resell it later.

Good to know info there.

specs show 3.9" tall, 2.0" wide, 11 oz. for the Orion Pro / Stella Lyra 1.25" Lanthanum Zoom.

I don't know about a DioptRx, but if the 20mm eye relief figure is true, one would be usable as long as it can attach.

Someone else would have to remove the eyecup to test.  I cannot advise.

I would just call FLO and ask.

Well now that I am home I can answer the question.  And the answer is no you can't unscrew it.  You can remove the rubber cover, I have no idea why you would, but that is about all you can do.

IMG_20220330_170913475.jpg

IMG_20220330_170940063.jpg

Thanks, Mike.  That unfortunately knocks it out for me. 

Might be good for outreach though, especially if it's parfocal or nearly so.  Guests love to be able to zoom into objects like the moon, double stars and globulars.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/04/2022 at 14:51, Second Time Around said:

Thanks, Mike.  That unfortunately knocks it out for me. 

Might be good for outreach though, especially if it's parfocal or nearly so.  Guests love to be able to zoom into objects like the moon, double stars and globulars.

Sorry to hear that it won't work for you as it really is a kick butt eyepiece.  It gives very good planetary views and I have used it for some DSO stuff.  The Orion Nebula looks beautiful with it.  Want to split doubles it can pull that off no problem.  This eyepiece is the one that gets used the most.

• Like 1