Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Almost ready to quit...

Mr Spock

So, the last time I was outside I had an hour and a half on the moon looking at Aristarchus and Gassendi. That was it more or less for June. I have had nothing in July. Nothing but cloud every single night.

CO270723.jpg.709c306f67b860f218558e480e8d5a0c.jpg

Oh look, we have dark skies again, well, light grey for here. Sadly all I will see of it is more cloud. Is this just becoming a pointless hobby and we are all better off doing something less frustrating?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

I had many moments like that, but the clouds will pass... think of all of the great astronomy nights you had while it was clear, and they will return.. but if you give up, know this.. the moment you sell your gear, it'll seem like it's crystal clear nights every night ... want to risk that?

• Like 5

Yes it’s been a long and depressing stretch of weeks without clear skies. Tonight might have a few sucker holes to look though, but not holding my breath. We astronomers are a patient bunch, but sometimes…..

I haven't been out in about six weeks due to cloud cover and rain. I know that it will pass though so it's push through attitude for me. I really need to set up a small G and G setup for those short breaks in the clouds.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's because I'm awake during the day and able then to take advantage of large gaps in the cloud but I average 10/15 days of observations of the sun our nearest star per month. More sometimes during the summer months and 6 to 9 days of observations during the winter months from the UK. 

It can be very frustrating but don't give up. 

• Like 3

I put my scopes away in November of last year.  Since then I have been out 6 times.  Here in Ohio it can be months of clouds with the occasional clear night.  We are just now starting to get decent skies and we will have them on and off through November. 

I've been feeling a bit like that lately. Loads of lovely equipment but few chances to use it over the past few months 🤔

However, I'm trying to take the view that not being able to do much astronomy for a while will mean that a sweeter experience and heightened enthusiasm will come when conditions do get more favourable and I am able to get out under the stars again.

So far, I think I've managed to convince myself this will be the case. If the poor conditions continue for another couple of months though ........ 😬

• Like 5

The answer to your frustration is a permanent setup... ever since I built a mini observatory that takes me literally minutes to start astronomy, you'll be able to take advantage of every moment of clarity... when theres a break in the clouds, open up and you're looking up.. if the clouds return, shutdown is just as fast... no setup and pulldown frustration or guess work...

• Like 2

I think it’s typical of any nature based hobby. For me, the key is to have complimentary hobbies. Find something you enjoy doing when the weather isn’t cooperating and then make the most of the clear skies when they arrive. 

Adding solar into the mix has helped me a lot for getting more opportunities. I grabbed 15 mins on the sun yesterday morning before work. Seeing was excellent and really gave me a great boost to start the day. 

I get a real buzz about observing when it comes after a long weather enforced break. I’m not sure it would be quite the same if I got to observe all the time. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

So, the last time I was outside I had an hour and a half on the moon looking at Aristarchus and Gassendi. That was it more or less for June. I have had nothing in July. Nothing but cloud every single night.

CO270723.jpg.709c306f67b860f218558e480e8d5a0c.jpg

Oh look, we have dark skies again, well, light grey for here. Sadly all I will see of it is more cloud. Is this just becoming a pointless hobby and we are all better off doing something less frustrating?

I don’t do any Astro between the end of March and October, it’s just not worth the frustration, it’s mountain biking all summer for me….👍🏻

• Like 2

I've thought about downsizing my equipment drastically due to technical issues, poor weather, setup effort (although I have finally gotten that down to a very short time, almost plug-in and go, plus one extra trip outside to unplug-replug a naughty guide cam), and because my 10" dob has sat unused since december!

But as said above, I remember experiences like seeing the flame for the first time with that dob from a dark site and the few times I've used it where I've been wowed by seeing the andromeda dust lane clearly with my own eyes, or when I saw the milky way without any assistance as soon as the car lights went off (we were facing it), seeing galaxies lined up after eachother in markarian's chain. And the fact that my astro photos now are better than ever before, just lacking in clear nights to make more and get enough data!

Our hobby is not for the inpatient, that is for sure!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, M40 said:

Biggest frustration I have is how do I convince management that I NEED that new toy when I can’t use what I already have 🤦‍♂️😉

Have you tried: additional equipment is required to make the fullest possible use out of each cloudless opportunity 😁

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I think it’s typical of any nature based hobby. For me, the key is to have complimentary hobbies.

We could all take up Meteorology, start observing cloud formations😄.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It puts me off spending too much on kit. However the practical (observing) part is like a bonus to an interest in astronomy in general. I live in a badly light polluted area so  look forward to star parties (even if I only get a couple of hours of clear skies as I Iike the camping/outdoors). As I don't have a huge amount of kit I will always keep it, even just for the odd look at the moon, planets, odd bright comet  and star parties once or twice a year.  I had always planned to buy the biggest scope I could, but that  has become less and less practical. In a nutshell I'm happy if I only get the scope out once a month, as long as I can make it to the odd star party too 

• Like 4

Egged on by members here (not intentionally I should add) I usually end up buying more equipment when I can't use what I have. Currently I'm trying very hard to resist looking for a Tak Abbe 32 after an innocuous  comment from @JeremyS has been worming away in my head!

On a more serious note, it's been weeks since I've observed, but I'm trying to remember and appreciate the 2 or 3 lovely weeks observing Venus in daytime under blue skies and evening sunshine. 

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Franklin said:

We could all take up Meteorology, start observing cloud formations😄.

When I'm not here you'll find me in the fb 'Cloud Appreciation Society' group :biggrin:

I'm not a mod in there but I'm constantly reminding people to add their location as per the group rules... :tongue2:

• Haha 2

Here at 60 degrees north it's been twilight only for three months. Quite a few clear nights (and days) but too bright to do much. Waiting for end August to roll up, likely followed by months of clouds. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Egged on by members here (not intentionally I should add) I usually end up buying more equipment when I can't use what I have. Currently I'm trying very hard to resist looking for a Tak Abbe 32 after an innocuous  comment from @JeremyS has been worming away in my head!

On a more serious note, it's been weeks since I've observed, but I'm trying to remember and appreciate the 2 or 3 lovely weeks observing Venus in daytime under blue skies and evening sunshine. 

Malcolm 

It must surely have been highly innocuous as I’ve never had a Tak Abbé 32

But do let me know how you get on with it Malcolm 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have often though to myself that I picked the worst hobby for the location I live in. Not just the light pollution but the terrible weather. Really need to move to one of those far away lands I stargazed from that has 300 clear nights per year. 

Does make those cloudless nights feel more magical when they come along though (and even more frustrating when prior commitments mean you cannot take advantage!)

However, I already know I will be looking up for the rest of my life, even it means becoming this….

DE469293-2D57-48A5-A68F-373A4B863D80.jpeg.3797684dc1769772960496ed5af770eb.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 10