What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

43 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Can you use long Fracs now with the extension. 

Paul 

Hi Paul to be fair it only adds 8" to the height but fracs can be used, the height from the floor to the base of the clamp is 55 inches if used to point straight to the zenith . 

Stu

5 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Paul to be fair it only adds 8" to the height but fracs can be used, the height from the floor to the base of the clamp is 55 inches if used to point straight to the zenith . 

Stu

I would say that's about the same height as my EQ5 on top of the EQ6 tripod with extension, I will have to measure it.

I have wanted one of these mounts for a few years now but I use F10 fracs.

I just need something easy to set up and go no batteries to carry around .

How do you find it is it really accurate.

Sorry to mither you.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi all. So here is my brand new 2" Optolong L-Extreme filter! I looked everywhere online for a second hand one but the few I did find, the sellers weren't responding to my enquiries so I ended up paying full price for new. I'm super excited to get first light with it, my L-Enhance is brilliant so I'm expecting this L-Extreme to be even better! Watch this space! ( Also received my new finder 'scope bracket. Only cost £21 from eBay! )IMG_2481.thumb.jpeg.d5df4b2d0e571b2c8eb45bfb7ce9beb3.jpegIMG_2482.thumb.png.6ff65f3814aca3232b3846dedad0436c.png

• Like 10

Postman has been nice again.

Courtesy of Flo , a Baader T2 15mm extension tube, a handle and a 1.25 nosepiece.

PXL_20240806_092617802.thumb.jpg.03215669c7ed56e70f8d11ccdaa68bc8.jpg

And some TV plossl smooth side 

PXL_20240806_092235988.thumb.jpg.baddc6eb967120a3030ae9b5f336ddee.jpg

• Like 13

29 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Postman has been nice again.

Courtesy of Flo , a Baader T2 15mm extension tube, a handle and a 1.25 nosepiece.

PXL_20240806_092617802.thumb.jpg.03215669c7ed56e70f8d11ccdaa68bc8.jpg

And some TV plossl smooth side 

PXL_20240806_092235988.thumb.jpg.baddc6eb967120a3030ae9b5f336ddee.jpg

Can never have too many handles 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I would say that's about the same height as my EQ5 on top of the EQ6 tripod with extension, I will have to measure it.

I have wanted one of these mounts for a few years now but I use F10 fracs.

I just need something easy to set up and go no batteries to carry around .

How do you find it is it really accurate.

Sorry to mither you.

Paul

Hi Mate , no probs to answer your questions .. The interesting thing about the mount is that you level it and then turn it on and it goes off on a 360 degree journey . After that the mount goes to the brightest night time object and you just centre that object and are ready to go . I sometimes actually do a two star alignment which i find works better . There is an option to Sync the current target which improves accuracy . All of this is done with minimal fuss and time . My mount has the additional saddle which gives me the option of using a small scope alongside my C8. 

Stu

BTW the mount is reasonably light and able to be moved without too much fuss , the battery will last for about 8-10 hours before needing to be recharged ... the battery can be replaced as FLO sell them . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Mate , no probs to answer your questions .. The interesting thing about the mount is that you level it and then turn it on and it goes off on a 360 degree journey . After that the mount goes to the brightest night time object and you just centre that object and are ready to go . I sometimes actually do a two star alignment which i find works better . There is an option to Sync the current target which improves accuracy . All of this is done with minimal fuss and time . My mount has the additional saddle which gives me the option of using a small scope alongside my C8. 

Stu

BTW the mount is reasonably light and able to be moved without too much fuss , the battery will last for about 8-10 hours before needing to be recharged ... the battery can be replaced as FLO sell them . 

Just one further question the handset can you input SAO numbers so you can go to double stars thanks. 

5 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi all. So here is my brand new 2" Optolong L-Extreme filter! I looked everywhere online for a second hand one but the few I did find, the sellers weren't responding to my enquiries so I ended up paying full price for new. I'm super excited to get first light with it, my L-Enhance is brilliant so I'm expecting this L-Extreme to be even better! Watch this space! ( Also received my new finder 'scope bracket. Only cost £21 from eBay! )IMG_2481.thumb.jpeg.d5df4b2d0e571b2c8eb45bfb7ce9beb3.jpegIMG_2482.thumb.png.6ff65f3814aca3232b3846dedad0436c.png

Do you have a link for the finder scope bracket by any chance Wes?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Just one further question the handset can you input SAO numbers so you can go to double stars thanks. 

The handset has a catelogue for Double stars , i believe ... i will check this tonight . :)

• Thanks 1

I have been informed by my wife a new filter drawer and a couple Ascar (C1 and C2) filters have arrived, however I'm working in Paris.

It's somewhat irritating, I really want to start dipping my toes into colour narrowband imaging. I'm still waiting for my camera to arrive, but that should be getting to my home before I do.

I really should get some sort of travel setup together.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaotician said:

I have been informed by my wife a new filter drawer and a couple Ascar (C1 and C2) filters have arrived, however I'm working in Paris.

It's somewhat irritating, I really want to start dipping my toes into colour narrowband imaging. I'm still waiting for my camera to arrive, but that should be getting to my home before I do.

I really should get some sort of travel setup together.

Maybe a seestar , for traveling 

A 50mm F1.4

I had one with my Nikon a few years ago and didn't get on with it, however, I'm not sure if it was just I did not get on with Nikon... Take 2

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-10 at 10.50.42_b6de0692.jpg

• Like 4

On 24/07/2024 at 13:37, Nigella Bryant said:

Some space memerobelia from the 1980's Space Shuttle era. From fleebay. To add to my collection, lol. 

IMG_20240724_111508_edit_322279140230028.jpg

IMG_20240724_111443_edit_322290583489398.jpg

IMG_20240724_111427_edit_322304924444133.jpg

I Have the Apollo missions got them when I visited Kennedy back in 1997 

• Like 1

Replacement Noctua 40mm fan for my 533MC-PRO.

During surgery I found that the positive wire had separated from the ZWO fan - which was fixable - but testing them side-by-side the noctua seemed slightly quieter so I went with that. 

IMG20240811001245.jpg

Edited by adyj1
Typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Inspire by @Ags, some step down rings to try stopping down my Daystar SS60 to improve contrast. For £12.99 it’s worth a punt!IMG_5396.thumb.jpeg.7b1bd42dd012714419ad06db07872c39.jpeg

Could I ask how do you connect those to the scope itself? I would get a set of these for my TS Optics 72mm refractor if I knew I could fit them to that scope.

7 minutes ago, Paz said:

Could I ask how do you connect those to the scope itself? I would get a set of these for my TS Optics 72mm refractor if I knew I could fit them to that scope.

I’ve not tried yet but I believe they just inside the tube using the ring that’s bigger than the tube to stop them sliding down. I’ll post again once I’ve had a play :) 

• Like 1

@Littleguy80 these are my experiences of using the step-down rings with my Solar Scout:

• for prominences, I don't use the rings
  • for surface detail, I find anywhere between a 43mm ring and 30mm ring gives the best results, although some days I get good results without the rings...
  • The 30mm ring obviously gives the magic f30 that Quarks like, but the severe reduction in aperture has to be considered too.
  • I focus without the rings, then apply the rings (they will increase focus depth, so can only improve the focus achieved without rings). Without the rings, slight misfocus is more visible.
  • FYI, 30mm aperture isn't much, but the GONG solar imaging network uses six scopes around the globe with apertures of 28mm.
Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ags said:

@Littleguy80 these are my experiences of using the step-down rings with my Solar Scout:

• for prominences, I don't use the rings
  • for surface detail, I find anywhere between a 43mm ring and 30mm ring gives the best results, although some days I get good results without the rings...
  • The 30mm ring obviously gives the magic f30 that Quarks like, but the severe reduction in aperture has to be considered too.
  • I focus without the rings, then apply the rings (they will increase focus depth, so can only improve the focus achieved without rings). Without the rings, slight misfocus is more visible.
  • FYI, 30mm aperture isn't much, but the GONG solar imaging network uses six scopes around the globe with apertures of 28mm.

Thanks @Ags! That’s super helpful. Looking forward to having a play :)