Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Time-lapse of Chi Cygni (Mira variable) imaged every week (or so) for it's whole cycle

Recently finished a project to create a time-lapse movie of the variable star Chi Cygni. Period is about 407 days and the magnitude variation is spectacular ranging from about 4 to about 14. It's almost circumpolar to the UK so is visible at some point during any night. Amazingly given the British weather, was able to get a shot more or less every week. Would like to upload the video but it doesn't seem to work for some reason, but here's a link to it on Youtube

Would like to put it up here if possible. Tried Mov and AVI neither work. Does anyone have any suggestions for what formats do work on this site? 

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Outstanding video!  I've been observing Chi Cyg as often as possible the past few months as it's been rising to max.  Tried this morning, but dawn was coming on too fast.

You can generate a lightcurve of observations on the AAVSO site, but you have to enter Khi Cyg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

You can generate a lightcurve of observations on the AAVSO site, but you have to enter Khi Cyg.

thanks :) yes, it's awkward at the moment since it's only high near dawn. Couple of weeks in January when it's only visible low in the evening and low in the dawn were the worst for me. Not so good at getting up at 4am these days!

Had a look at the AAVSO site but couldn't see a curve for the current cycle. I'd be interested as it's been a bit hard to know when exactly the cycle is complete as some maxima are brighter than others :)

22 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Here is the light curve of Chi Cyg from the BAA Variable Star Section Database. It looks like it has just passed maximum:

ChiCyg20230601.thumb.png.f8daf68fed12f252d6caa484079302c8.png

Excellent stuff Tim and I wondered what the kink in the brightening phase was- if it was due to missing periods of capture or something but the light curve Jeremy posted shows it clearly and it’s a common trait on longer period variables apparently-

https://www.aavso.org/sites/default/files//publications/staff_pubs/templeton_mira_humps_bumps.pdf

Mark

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markse68 said:

Excellent stuff Tim and I wondered what the kink in the brightening phase was- if it was due to missing periods of capture or something but the light curve Jeremy posted shows it clearly and it’s a common trait on longer period variables apparently-

https://www.aavso.org/sites/default/files//publications/staff_pubs/templeton_mira_humps_bumps.pdf

Mark

I think the slight kink is real as I didn't miss shooting for any long periods. Aim was once a week and sometimes it would be 10 or 11 days and sometimes 5 or 6 but overall fairly constant intervals. The other thing of course is that each frame had to be corrected for sky brightness (full moon, new moon etc. and some were necessarily at twilight) so there's a bit of jiggery there. I don't think it would have had much effect though as the brightness of the surrounding stars looks fairly constant. :)

11 hours ago, markse68 said:

Mark

Yes that’s right, Mark. Mira type long period variables usually have several modes of pulsation, not just the primary one. This makes them very interesting to follow,

• Like 2

Wow! I have never seen a time lapse of a variable done over such a long time. Your final product is impressively sharp, clean, and contrasty with nice dark backdrop and absolute pinpoint stars. Playing the video for the tenth time now I am blown away by the stark magnitude swing this star takes, going from almost invisible to the brightest in the field.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Wow! I have never seen a time lapse of a variable done over such a long time. Your final product is impressively sharp, clean, and contrasty with nice dark backdrop and absolute pinpoint stars. Playing the video for the tenth time now I am blown away by the stark magnitude swing this star takes, going from almost invisible to the brightest in the field.

Thanks :) Yes, it's a remarkable variation isn't it! I was lucky to get enough clear nights to complete it, England isn't known for it's lack of clouds :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...