Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

I am new to this site as well as astronomy but thought that I would like to purchase one of these as it is advertised as good for beginners. I was wondering can someone tell me whether this comes with a paper manual or is it in the software, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Most likely a bit of both. The asiairs from zwo come with little information but the app is so well laid out you can pretty much understand the basics of it with little tuition. I'm assuming the unit will need to be placed level on its tripod on flat ground and initially pointing north (like you normally do with goto alt az mounts), it might be even simpler than that.

Edited by Elp

I think it might be simpler than that - the impression I get is that the software will plate solve and, since the mount is alt-az there is no polar alignment (derotation of the images will be accomplished using software).

However, @Rileybowler there is not a great deal of info on this scope and people are mainly getting excited because the spec is high and ZWO have thus-far produced good equipment. No reason this scope could not be a clanger though. You are pricing in a risk to preorder and get one at a promotional price now (offer closes today) - you may want to spend £100 more and get some reviews and give the software time to mature.

Certainly this device is marketed at absolute beginners, however, at least initially (a pro- mode for the software is promised), it will totally automate the process. The question is whether that is the right entry level for astronomy. In my view the s50 fills a niche (allows imaging of DSOs which are otherwise very faint, hard - or downright impossible - to see, and visually unimpressive on first blush) however it will not allow you to directly interact with the sky, won't give much sense of where you are pointing or how the stars are laid out. For me these two are important reasons why I continue to enjoy visual astronomy - there is a sheer wonder in finding and looking at an object in the eyepiece, seeing what detail you can pick out and feeling like you are having an interaction with it. I gradually learn how the constellations are laid out (albeit aided by a celestron starsense unit), what the lunar phases are and what to look for at particular times, what times of year I can spot the planets, how the seeing varies from one hour to the next.  I'm not sure the S50 will give a novice any of this.

But maybe I'm too focused on how it works for me. Certainly as a one-time purchase the S50 is likely to do a lot.

Edit: just realised I may also have given the impression that the S50 will allow detailed visualisation planets - it won't - only the moon and sun will be large enough in this scope to see any detail.

Edited by Giles_B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Giles_B said:

I think it might be simpler than that - the impression I get is that the software will plate solve and, since the mount is alt-az there is no polar alignment (derotation of the images will be accomplished using software).

However, @Rileybowler there is not a great deal of info on this scope and people are mainly getting excited because the spec is high and ZWO have thus-far produced good equipment. No reason this scope could not be a clanger though. You are pricing in a risk to preorder and get one at a promotional price now (offer closes today) - you may want to spend £100 more and get some reviews and give the software time to mature.

Certainly this device is marketed at absolute beginners, however, at least initially (a pro- mode for the software is promised), it will totally automate the process. The question is whether that is the right entry level for astronomy. In my view the s50 fills a niche (allows imaging of DSOs which are otherwise very faint, hard - or downright impossible - to see, and visually unimpressive on first blush) however it will not allow you to directly interact with the sky, won't give much sense of where you are pointing or how the stars are laid out. For me these two are important reasons why I continue to enjoy visual astronomy - there is a sheer wonder in finding and looking at an object in the eyepiece, seeing what detail you can pick out and feeling like you are having an interaction with it. I gradually learn how the constellations are laid out (albeit aided by a celestron starsense unit), what the lunar phases are and what to look for at particular times, what times of year I can spot the planets, how the seeing varies from one hour to the next.  I'm not sure the S50 will give a novice any of this.

But maybe I'm too focused on how it works for me. Certainly as a one-time purchase the S50 is likely to do a lot.

Edit: just realised I may also have given the impression that the S50 will allow detailed visualisation planets - it won't - only the moon and sun will be large enough in this scope to see any detail.

Do you not think though that there are many long time visual astronomers that will enjoy getting into this new challenge, this new enjoyment, this end of the astronomical hobby not just first timers to astronomy or do we fall into the beginers category. I think the market will be loaded with us fellow astronomers that want to see dso targets in a different format and may in even more detail than through our many scopes. The only ones that appear to be bewildered in many cases are the experts in AP because they have spent thousands of $'s and thousands of hours and now we will be able to do it with $500 and a few months practice, lol !  Its a great hobby not a job, part of the evolution of astro life !    PS:  The details will be good enough for most of us without bothering with hours of editing and any other monotonous work.

• Like 4

I think the above post actually hits the nail on the head when he writes that most of the disquiet ( let’s not call it opposition) comes from people who practice Astrophotography. I really don’t know why it should be the case  though , as I know , having used the Dwarf 2 , that we are talking basic Astrophotography with the likes of the seestars and the dwarf. Indeed people with very expensive rigs could and maybe will get a kick out of using the Seestars as it’s a quick fix for their area of the hobby ! As for me , visual is best , eaa next and Astrophotography a distant third . I will  be buying the zwo Seestars , subject to REAL reviews of the first batch . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I think the above post actually hits the nail on the head when he writes that most of the disquiet ( let’s not call it opposition) comes from people who practice Astrophotography. I really don’t know why it should be the case  though , as I know , having used the Dwarf 2 , that we are talking basic Astrophotography with the likes of the seestars and the dwarf. Indeed people with very expensive rigs could and maybe will get a kick out of using the Seestars as it’s a quick fix for their area of the hobby ! As for me , visual is best , eaa next and Astrophotography a distant third . I will  be buying the zwo Seestars , subject to REAL reviews of the first batch . 

I will give you two words that might explain part of it 1.  Envy  & 2.  Begrudge  !

18 hours ago, Rileybowler said:

I am new to this site as well as astronomy but thought that I would like to purchase one of these as it is advertised as good for beginners. I was wondering can someone tell me whether this comes with a paper manual or is it in the software, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hello Rileybowler and welcome to the site. Based on previous zwo devices and as Elp said, there will be minimal paper info with the majority of info found online. This in the short term is also likely to be limited as this is a new product with confirmed shipping to first light optics in August so hopefully grubby paws will get hold of it in September sometime, until then we are all just guessing a bit.

From what I have gleaned, the device comes with a table top tripod with a traditional camera fixing to the tripod so the tripod can be upgraded. The seestars needs levelling and the app has a routine for levelling, after that off you go. The zwo software, like all software has a learning curve and I would suggest that the best source of info is going to be sites like this and YouTube as once they land we are going to be all over it. Please note that this is not a telescope that you can look through, any images it gets will be displayed on your phone or tablet.

As Giles_B pointed out, this is not going to be the best for planets other than showing bright dots but the moon will be good. Where the device will shine is going to be galaxies using eea. I use zwo devices and software for DSO so I know it works, it's just how it works with the Seestars. 

As you may have noted from earlier comments you have found a device that has mixed views, I for one am very much looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Well since today was last day to receive a $100 discount on the price I went ahead and ordered one and they could give a ship date but said they would reserve my place in line so I assume from that there has been a large amount of pre orders on this, which probably work in my favor as I will get to see reviews from people who ordered one.  I am thinking and could be wrong but any updates to software will probably be free or a nominal fee.  I do feel good about ordering one and do not mind the wait. Also the place that I ordered from said that they will do a full video review of it when they get one so it will probably be before I get mine which will work in my favor.

• Like 1

As one of those Apers who has spend a ridiculous amount of moola and hours on AP, I was one of the first to order an S50. So don't tar us all with the same brush 😁

I think even for us 'APers' Im thinking it will be a great wee portable thing to take with me on holiday, out and about in the motorhome, etc without the hassle of bringing some of my current kit with me. And I think it's a great way of introducing others to the hobby too - I'm looking forward to loaning it out to friends for them to play with.

Lets hope ZWO get thier finger out and start shipping them soon ready for the new season !!

stu

6 hours ago, powerlord said:

As one of those Apers who has spend a ridiculous amount of moola and hours on AP, I was one of the first to order an S50. So don't tar us all with the same brush 😁

I think even for us 'APers' Im thinking it will be a great wee portable thing to take with me on holiday, out and about in the motorhome, etc without the hassle of bringing some of my current kit with me. And I think it's a great way of introducing others to the hobby too - I'm looking forward to loaning it out to friends for them to play with.

Lets hope ZWO get thier finger out and start shipping them soon ready for the new season !!

stu

If you are thinking my post(s) remember the old time worn saying ' if the shoe fits then wear it but if not don't ' !  Tar !!  Really ?  But many, many, many don't think your way in any of these types of forums / posts and I really can't figure out who they think they are, who they think they are talking to, this is supposed to be a broad, fun hobby ! 

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LDW1 said:

If you are thinking my post(s) remember the old time worn saying ' if the shoe fits then wear it but if not don't ' !  Tar !!  Really ?  But many, many, many don't think your way in any of these types of forums / posts and I really can't figure out who they think they are, who they think they are talking to, this is supposed to be a broad, fun hobby ! 

I agree - 'horses for courses' as we say in the UK. It should go without saying that what is 'dull and monotonous' for one person is another person's all-consuming interest - and quite right too. All that diversity brings a lot of extra colour and interest to us all. The world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LDW1 said:

not at all. I suppose this is on the 'other' forum across the pond ? one of the reasons I chose to join here rather than there. 😁 Indeed - I imagine you are right for most APer in terms of it not being for them, but I agree in it being ideal for beginners. I suppose for some, it's seen as a dead end, but tbh I think that's an illusion. IF you outgrow it, sell it and move on. Often times that far easiers and financially sensible than buying things that can be 'upgraded' imho but it's not seen that way.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, powerlord said:

I suppose for some, it's seen as a dead end, but tbh I think that's an illusion.

Could you add Galilean wide angle or teleconverters intended for fixed lens digital cameras to the Seestar 50?  I carefully epoxied a step ring to a fixed lens camera that had no filter/accessory thread so I could mount a fisheye adapter to it.  It worked great.

Would the software get all confused by the altered angle of view?

51 minutes ago, powerlord said:

not at all. I suppose this is on the 'other' forum across the pond ? one of the reasons I chose to join here rather than there. 😁 Indeed - I imagine you are right for most APer in terms of it not being for them, but I agree in it being ideal for beginners. I suppose for some, it's seen as a dead end, but tbh I think that's an illusion. IF you outgrow it, sell it and move on. Often times that far easiers and financially sensible than buying things that can be 'upgraded' imho but it's not seen that way.

I look at all that as new challenge, a change of pace, if someone bocks at that price buy nothing and be happy !

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Could you add Galilean wide angle or teleconverters intended for fixed lens digital cameras to the Seestar 50?  I carefully epoxied a step ring to a fixed lens camera that had no filter/accessory thread so I could mount a fisheye adapter to it.  It worked great.

Would the software get all confused by the altered angle of view?

Why don't you ask them personally !

• 3 weeks later...

Looking rather good from a location that makes my skies look good… software looks good. And the exposure times weren’t crazy long… I’m an observer, I don’t want to spend an evening and only get to see one or two things!

Need to be good and ask Santa very nicely!

Peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icesheet said:

Cuiv has just given a first look. Looks impressive! Can’t wait to get mine now. 

This is a really good video, and a glowing endorsement of the product. The results from the middle of Tokyo are pretty impressive, so from a dark site should be excellent. I think the image scale will be better for larger objects like emission nebulae, larger open clusters, galaxies and Milky Way. Plenty of objects to see for the price.

I note he said he has not tried other products from Unistellar and Vaonis, only the Dwarf which is a slightly different proposition, so would be good to see him compare them at some point. 

• Like 1

One would hope for a mosaic mode for larger objects (I like emission nebulae) and also make drizzle for better detail. The field of view seems well chosen to allow to the most flexibility… a bigger scope would be more zoomed in. I’d hate to think about the Bortle rating for Tokyo…  probably not as bad as downtown Singapore, but not far off of bet.

peter 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

The field of view seems well chosen to allow to the most flexibility… a bigger scope would be more zoomed in

Yes you’re right I’ve had a play in SkySafari and it is a slightly smaller field of view than I thought, and frames a lot of objects well. Big enough to fit in largish objects like M33, M42 (just) and the Pacman neb, but small enough to resolve globulars. And not too zoomed in to make tracking a problem for shortish exposures.