Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

9 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

The most intriguing part is naming the product the 'SeeStar S50' so expect more models in the future with wider objectives and different focal lengths, maybe. Understand the device is currently limited to 10 second sub-exposures too which might relate to build quality? Years ago I was lucky to have a good example of the SkyWatcher Synscan Alt Az mount where 60 seconds was achievable before the mount mechanic limitations showed up. Seems a good device for travel.

Cheets,

Steve

Yes, agreed, I think there will be more to come, with some larger apertures and better mounts. It’s an exciting prospect, but very bad news for Vaonis and Unistellar, I really can’t see how they will be able to compete. 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 13:40, RobertI said:

Yes, agreed, I think there will be more to come, with some larger apertures and better mounts. It’s an exciting prospect, but very bad news for Vaonis and Unistellar, I really can’t see how they will be able to compete. 

Thats their problem !  Maybe it will encourage them to develop, to expand. Thats the way the game is / should be played.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Thats their problem !  Maybe it will encourage them to develop, to expand. Thats the way the game is / should be played.

Agree , The "pioneers" ie the afforementioned Vaonis and Unistella had a head start in this and decided to price their systems accordingly . A bit like a TV manufacturer producing the first 4k screen . Inevitably though others have jumped on board and whilst i agree the aforementioned have produced a high quality product, pricing becomes more reflective of the intended market . I was always going to buy one of these products but the introduction of the Dwarf Labs and the See stars has made my purchase so much easier and of course affordable . For the record , the Dwarf imo is brilliant . I'm sure the See Stars will find its place in this field too . What an exciting time in our hobby . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Indeed it is. It will be fascinating to watch how this plays out. There will be many great products to come. It’s also interesting to see how the attitudes of the astro community are slowing changing towards positive acceptance of this kind of technology

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Agree , The "pioneers" ie the afforementioned Vaonis and Unistella had a head start in this and decided to price their systems accordingly . A bit like a TV manufacturer producing the first 4k screen . Inevitably though others have jumped on board and whilst i agree the aforementioned have produced a high quality product, pricing becomes more reflective of the intended market . I was always going to buy one of these products but the introduction of the Dwarf Labs and the See stars has made my purchase so much easier and of course affordable . For the record , the Dwarf imo is brilliant . I'm sure the See Stars will find its place in this field too . What an exciting time in our hobby . 

Agree ! For those that think positive I am sure their minds will be swimming in that future. It is exciting as has been other times, I can hardly wait, which I have been doing for quite some time !  A small big bang is about to happen and we all, even the doomsayers, will benefit, lol.

• Like 1

I will say that while people are briefly interested in viewing imagers displaying DSOs being built-up on laptop screens at outreach events using high quality imaging rigs, they quickly lose interest and gravitate toward the visual-only scopes on the field despite having to wait in lines for a quick view.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

I will say that while people are briefly interested in viewing imagers displaying DSOs being built-up on laptop screens at outreach events using high quality imaging rigs, they quickly lose interest and gravitate toward the visual-only scopes on the field despite having to wait in lines for a quick view.

Thats exactly why astronomers will buy their own, they can use them when they want to, just like switching scopes or doing WL / Ha work when you want. For those versatile astronomers they will have their place with everything else but will the skies be any more accomodating ??, lol !

On 20/04/2023 at 11:14, SamAndrew said:

That pic of Jupiter in their product photos:

image.png.464f5e56458ed03293dd62f36b3c9857.png

Reality given sensor and focal length: 

image.png.1aea365e5dccaf33e2c4f077fc86d704.png

Wow! Looking at that picture of the sun it looks as though it’s got Ha capability as well ?????!🙂

• Like 1

On 20/04/2023 at 15:33, Shimrod said:

As you say there's a variety of approaches to astronomy and as long as someone is having fun, then does it matter how they observe.

My personal challenge with these devices is understanding why I would use one of these over looking at pictures from the internet. Putting visual to one side, I would suspect that the challenge of capturing the images forms a big part of the enjoyment in AP.

Indeed. I have been wondering why anybody would buy the dwarf II based on the images I have seen posted. It's cheap for a reason. It's rubbish

4 hours ago, 900SL said:

Indeed. I have been wondering why anybody would buy the dwarf II based on the images I have seen posted. It's cheap for a reason. It's rubbish

You obviously do not own one , and from your comment are not likely to. Thats fine,  its your opinion , but , you should never describe something in such a way as "rubbish" without trying it first . Its a product that has created massive interest and is bringing astronomy to people that have only taken a passing interest . 

Firstly it makes you seem very aloof and dismissive , secondly for a lot of people the retail price of £539 ( now the promotion has ended ) is not "cheap " . The Dwarf ii has never set out to be better than a dedicated astrophotography rig , but it offers people with a passing interest in astronomy the chance to experience the hobby in a very interesting way . Have you seen the reviews ? Everyone who has reviewed the dwarf has had positive things to say ... Cuiv the lazy geek , Sarah Math(ews) .. who gave the most comprehensive review , Astro la Vista (aka Chris from this very forum ) and others have all welcomed it as another avenue into our hobby . 

But , you have disagreed and slated it as "rubbish " . I take it your "top of the range " gear makes you able to make such a judgement . Or is everything astro related rubbish compared to the JWTS or Hubble ?

Sorry for the backlash rant . i in no way intend to offend 

Stu

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

You obviously do not own one , and from your comment are not likely to. Thats fine,  its your opinion , but , you should never describe something in such a way as "rubbish" without trying it first . Its a product that has created massive interest and is bringing astronomy to people that have only taken a passing interest . 

Firstly it makes you seem very aloof and dismissive , secondly for a lot of people the retail price of £539 ( now the promotion has ended ) is not "cheap " . The Dwarf ii has never set out to be better than a dedicated astrophotography rig , but it offers people with a passing interest in astronomy the chance to experience the hobby in a very interesting way . Have you seen the reviews ? Everyone who has reviewed the dwarf has had positive things to say ... Cuiv the lazy geek , Sarah Math(ews) .. who gave the most comprehensive review , Astro la Vista (aka Chris from this very forum ) and others have all welcomed it as another avenue into our hobby . 

But , you have disagreed and slated it as "rubbish " . I take it your "top of the range " gear makes you able to make such a judgement . Or is everything astro related rubbish compared to the JWTS or Hubble ?

Sorry for the backlash rant . i in no way intend to offend 

Stu

Well said ! No one can tell what the expanding future holds. Not even we rubbish collectors, lol !

I guess it depends on the individual.

For a beginner not knowing anything they seem like a good buy. For someone whom already has a rig, they can also be a good buy for a faster setup/secondary rig or for short sessions. For travelling I think they can't be beaten for convenience and much much less to carry and think about.

For me, I personally can setup my camera rig quite quickly and get much better results, image narrowband etc, and not be limited in per sub exposure. I also was diverted by their great prices, due to wanting an upgrade of existing equipment instead so probably not for me. At least not yet.

On 26/04/2023 at 19:55, LDW1 said:

I joined the SeeStar users group on FB to hopefully keep up with the future talk !

Keep us up to speed please as I for one, don't have an fb account. 

On 27/04/2023 at 06:43, 900SL said:

Up until 3 or so years ago, I had owned and driven classic mini's for over 40 years. The last mini I had was a 1999 version, but according to some, it was not a real mini because it never had a carburetor. As far as I am concerned, it was a different branch of the same hobby, not for all. Likewise the dwarf and the seestar are a different branch of our hobby, again clearly not for all. Roll on July, looking forward to another learning curve👌 

Just to add, I never liked the classic clubman, but did appreciate it for what it was and strangely we now have a 2013 clubman bond street. Goes to show you never know which branch of the hobby you will move into in the future :D

• Like 1

Last year I bought the eVscope from unistellar, they had a promotion on at the time and I took advantage of it. 

I have shown/shared the results with a few people in the family and they were very impressed by them.  The Tarazed below and NGC925 are far from my best efforts but I cannot find the rest, think they are on the tablet. However they give a taste of what you get. 

What I personally find more impressive to me are the results I am getting from it for spectroscopy. My interest in this subject being recently renewed after seeing a facebook post regarding the subject. It allows me to get involved in the science behind the hobby in a more meaningful way. The result below is of Talitha in UMajor.

The thing with the evscope is it is a reflector so the image is clean for spectroscopy purposes although the colour camera does affect results a little.  However I am involved with other members of the spectroscopy community and looking at workarounds/solutions to this. Exciting times.

eVscope-20221028-183956.thumb.png.9f7d6d94d266cdcd4881e77c7e05ce6e.png

eVscope-20221028-221912.thumb.png.1106dd8fefc81983d69c7448e851978d.png

fortom.thumb.jpg.7c0e7b4ce08189eefadd23e551e0cfb8.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Last year I bought the eVscope from unistellar, they had a promotion on at the time and I took advantage of it. 

I have shown/shared the results with a few people in the family and they were very impressed by them.  The Tarazed below and NGC925 are far from my best efforts but I cannot find the rest, think they are on the tablet. However they give a taste of what you get. 

What I personally find more impressive to me are the results I am getting from it for spectroscopy. My interest in this subject being recently renewed after seeing a facebook post regarding the subject. It allows me to get involved in the science behind the hobby in a more meaningful way. The result below is of Talitha in UMajor.

The thing with the evscope is it is a reflector so the image is clean for spectroscopy purposes although the colour camera does affect results a little.  However I am involved with other members of the spectroscopy community and looking at workarounds/solutions to this. Exciting times.

eVscope-20221028-183956.thumb.png.9f7d6d94d266cdcd4881e77c7e05ce6e.png

eVscope-20221028-221912.thumb.png.1106dd8fefc81983d69c7448e851978d.png

fortom.thumb.jpg.7c0e7b4ce08189eefadd23e551e0cfb8.jpg

What are you using to get the spectrum? Can you, for example, use a Star Analyser filter/grating. 

2 hours ago, M40 said:

Keep us up to speed please as I for one, don't have an fb account. 

Will try but right now the talk is all over the place, its hard to pick out worthwhile info. You know what it can be like, lol !

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

What are you using to get the spectrum? Can you, for example, use a Star Analyser filter/grating. 

That is indeed what I used Jeremy Paton Hawksley Star Analyser 100 | First Light Optics and I have purchased the Rspec analytical software to go with it.  For a couple of hundred quid outlay, there is a lot of fun and learning to be had.

Knowing me I end up buying a slit version but I have lots to learn before I go down that path. 

PM me if you want any more information although I will be starting a thread on my experiences shortly in the science section, just need another nights worth of data to cover off my research. 🙃

Steve

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Thanks 1

On 27/04/2023 at 04:57, StevieDvd said:

Have a look at what can be achieved with it , albeit with post processing here, by Cuiv The Lazy Geek

I didn't have the patience to wade through 1.5 hours of video, but does the device kick out the finished image in real time or does it require significant post-processing work?  That, and did all the software used come with it with full online support for beginners?

15 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I didn't have the patience to wade through 1.5 hours of video, but does the device kick out the finished image in real time or does it require significant post-processing work?  That, and did all the software used come with it with full online support for beginners?

You will have to go through all that video to answer your ?'s. We are all new at this, no one will commit to answer, lol !  PS:  But we progressives are very anxious about this new dawning on the horizon !

• Like 1

Not only is my name is on a 50 but I have just ordered the Dwarf also, will get it in a couple weeks. At some point I want to do a side by side comparison, hopefully by August when Sagittarius as at its prime !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

The Dwarf II will do a rudimentary stacked image for those who just want to view the image on their phone/pad. That will also allow a stacked image to be saved to the phone/pad as well.

Fits files are also saved and can be copied from the sd-card (via the USB-c port in MTP mode.  This is what Cuiv did, these are then stacked using free software and post processed in Siril/Gimp and as a contrast via Siril/Pixinsight. If yo go to the end part of the video you'll see both images.

Most of the tutorials are online and Dwarf have a community forum. No software other than the ios/android apps are provided.

From using ZWO Asiair products that's about the same support that the ZWO Seestar will likely come with.

These products are aimed at the new to astro image capture (mainly EAA) and has features that the more advanced users can access to post process.

I have actually bought the Dwarf II as it fits a niche for me for portability and as an existing astro imager I want to get the best from it once back home.

Given the price of the ZWO it may be a good buy, but I bought the Dwarf as it has been reviewed/updated by a shed load of reviewers and the discount was available intil just recently. The reviews of the ZWO are mainly based on the specs and a few Facebook images,  and if the support/updates for the ZWO are anything like the Asiair changes then I would not be happy to take the plunge with it so early.

As it stands the Dwarf software is still a little unstable but usable, but they are quick to fix/improve the firmware. The Android app updates are ahead of the IOS app - but I expect that's because apple have more stringent acceptance procedures for changes.

And as for other astro purchases, these too seem to invoke cloudy skies.🤔

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/04/2023 at 11:14, Louis D said:

I would disagree, as at our outreach programs, once the image on Stellina comes in the lines at the scopes get much shorter and everyone is standing around the monitor we use to display Stellina's images. 

Edited by Mike Q