Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

6 hours ago, Marky1973 said:

Well, your comment was in response to a direct quote from my post, so it reads as if it is aimed directly at me - but if I have misinterpreted what you said, I apologise. All I was doing was adding my excitement about the Seestar to a thread started by someone excited about the Seestar. 

Nothing wrong with being exited, I am as well, its some of the technical details vs the intent of the SeeStar and its beginer audience that causes the concern. At this point I don't think the target users care a thing about intense editing, perceived ......, etc. as I mentioned save but a few. So why should the experienced ' AP'ers ' fill up this great thread about a new piece of fun gear with something that isn't intended for this and its users ie beginers wanting to get in on this EAA corner of the astronomy galaxy. I know it tirers my mind and taxes my brain and I am sure makes many starters think it is / will be more difficult and costly than they thought and that should not be so. But keep up your excitement I sure will !   PS:  Its not surprising it happens all the time and not just in these forums, lol !

47 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Nothing wrong with being exited, I am as well, its some of the technical details vs the intent of the SeeStar and its beginer audience that causes the concern. At this point I don't think the target users care a thing about intense editing, perceived ......, etc. as I mentioned save but a few. So why should the experienced ' AP'ers ' fill up this great thread about a new piece of fun gear with something that isn't intended for this and its users ie beginers wanting to get in on this EAA corner of the astronomy galaxy. I know it tirers my mind and taxes my brain and I am sure makes many starters think it is / will be more difficult and costly than they thought and that should not be so. But keep up your excitement I sure will !   PS:  Its not surprising it happens all the time and not just in these forums, lol !

I get that, but i feel it is worth promoting the potential for AP on top of the primary EAA purpose of the S50. There's no danger of me getting too technical on this thread, because I don't understand the half of it.

• Like 1

As a forum, a place of discussion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there is no right or wrong as long as it falls within the terms of use of the platform. APers are within their domain to comment as it's a device for imaging the skies whether it be designed for EAA or AP as both areas generally work the same (take exposures then stack). I see the device being used for both by new people and experienced, whether it's right for their own personal use as ever will be a personal choice.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Elp said:

As a forum, a place of discussion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there is no right or wrong as long as it falls within the terms of use of the platform. APers are within their domain to comment as it's a device for imaging the skies whether it be designed for EAA or AP as both areas generally work the same (take exposures then stack). I see the device being used for both by new people and experienced, whether it's right for their own personal use as ever will be a personal choice.

Opinion, it has nothing to do about opinion ! Its the combining, the entwining of EAA intent vs nothing to do with AP. I disagree with you completely but its not surprising, this happens all the time as I mentioned, I still call it highjacking the original intent of the thread on a new piece of fun gear. Most of the AP'er stuff is way above the heads of the intended audience !  PS:  And it is happening similarily with one of the newer competitors as we speak, lol ! I guess thats life, unfortunate.

On 19/04/2023 at 15:26, Ags said:

I have been very anti-smartscope, but at this price point and this cuteness level, I WANT one of these!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/zwo-seestar-s50-all-in-one-smart-apo-telescope-tripod.html

It looks absolutely amazing, really good value for money.

Can you be specific on the range of topics you would consider appropriate for this thread's discussions to help clear the air, so to speak?  Your opening post seems very wide open and nonspecific; thus, the wide ranging discussions that seem to have repeatedly offended at least one member as being off topic for this thread.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Can you be specific on the range of topics you would consider appropriate for this thread's discussions to help clear the air, so to speak?  Your opening post seems very wide open and nonspecific; thus, the wide ranging discussions that seem to have repeatedly offended at least one member as being off topic for this thread.

Hey, I've said my piece, expressed my thoughts, on what is suposed to be an easy introduction to EAA, now keep me out of this 6 page and counting jumble, lol !  Have at it my fellow astronomers, we are just passing Jupiter !  PS:  Things never change no matter what side of the big lake we live on, lol !

19 minutes ago, Louis D said:

And to think the SeeStar 50 hasn't even gotten / fallen into our hands yet, lol.

10 hours ago, Louis D said:

Can you be specific on the range of topics you would consider appropriate for this thread's discussions to help clear the air, so to speak?

I may have started the thread but the community owns it. My intention on starting the thread was to share my enthusiasm for a neat new device approximately in my price range. I wanted to hear a diversity of views including from the naysayers.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ags said:

I may have started the thread but the community owns it. My intention on starting the thread was to share my enthusiasm for a neat new device approximately in my price range. I wanted to hear a diversity of views including from the naysayers.

You did it right but every time the dazzlers of the foot work always take over, like FS, like Siril, like ....... !  At that point, once again, all the new horizons, the anticipation for beginers in this venture get kicked to the back row. I can hardly wait to get mine and compare with my other and just plain have fun with it out of the boxes.   PS:  For a piece of great, future gear at a super price who really cares about a few hot pixels, enhanced clarity, ........ , I have mentioned who but this never was intended as a contender to the high, high priced whatevers so why would anyone that delves into that high priced dream world expect it to without hours and hours of tedious work.  Surely not bright eyed beginers that are wringing their hands in anticipation of a new future, on a different side of astronomy.

Edited by LDW1

4 hours ago, LDW1 said:

You did it right but every time the dazzlers of the foot work always take over, like FS, like Siril, like ....... !  At that point, once again, all the new horizons, the anticipation for beginers in this venture get kicked to the back row. I can hardly wait to get mine and compare with my other and just plain have fun with it out of the boxes.   PS:  For a piece of great, future gear at a super price who really cares about a few hot pixels, enhanced clarity, ........ , I have mentioned who but this never was intended as a contender to the high, high priced whatevers so why would anyone that delves into that high priced dream world expect it to without hours and hours of tedious work.  Surely not bright eyed beginers that are wringing their hands in anticipation of a new future, on a different side of astronomy.

The Dazzlers of the foot?
I am lost now.

As a bright-eyed newbie several years ago I relished the technical stuff that got discussed around me as it helped me develop my knowledge and helped me move over into imaging - something I probably wouldn't have done without those "dazzlers" getting technical around me. And who are you/we to say what those bright-eyed beginners want to hear about. The OP just said themselves they are excited, let people be excited for this EAA/AP device and to talk about all aspects of it. ZWO themselves are touting it as an AP capable device, so rather than shielding people from AP why not embrace it and let people decide for themselves if they want to take it on. If not,  move-along and read the next thread/topic.

This appeared to be a general thread about the S50 which is why I posted my basic image to enthuse about what it is capable of and then a pretty non-technical discussion about noise gets accused of hijacking the thread and putting people off the device. The only one hijacking this thread is you, pushing yourself as the arbiter of who can discuss what on a thread.

I took 4 year hiatus from the SGL after selling my equipment and came back and it was like nothing had changed - lots of the same discussions at the top of the various forums, the same old questions about AP - and that is good, it helps people learn, that is what the site was about I thought?

Anyway, if this is considered rude, the mods can delete/suspend me or whatever, I suspect you have killed this thread anyway, can't see anyone wanting to post in it any more. I've unfollowed it and will just go back to the FB page as they seem to just want to talk about the damn thing and look forward to what it can do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

The Dazzlers of the foot?
I am lost now.

As a bright-eyed newbie several years ago I relished the technical stuff that got discussed around me as it helped me develop my knowledge and helped me move over into imaging - something I probably wouldn't have done without those "dazzlers" getting technical around me. And who are you/we to say what those bright-eyed beginners want to hear about. The OP just said themselves they are excited, let people be excited for this EAA/AP device and to talk about all aspects of it. ZWO themselves are touting it as an AP capable device, so rather than shielding people from AP why not embrace it and let people decide for themselves if they want to take it on. If not,  move-along and read the next thread/topic.

This appeared to be a general thread about the S50 which is why I posted my basic image to enthuse about what it is capable of and then a pretty non-technical discussion about noise gets accused of hijacking the thread and putting people off the device. The only one hijacking this thread is you, pushing yourself as the arbiter of who can discuss what on a thread.

I took 4 year hiatus from the SGL after selling my equipment and came back and it was like nothing had changed - lots of the same discussions at the top of the various forums, the same old questions about AP - and that is good, it helps people learn, that is what the site was about I thought?

Anyway, if this is considered rude, the mods can delete/suspend me or whatever, I suspect you have killed this thread anyway, can't see anyone wanting to post in it any more. I've unfollowed it and will just go back to the FB page as they seem to just want to talk about the damn thing and look forward to what it can do.

I said my piece, expressed my thoughts about this sort of thing, I'm stickin to it ! As far as this thread being killed it was starting to get killed about 3-4 pages back ! You do your thing and I'll do ........., no offence taken on my side, I've seen this all many times before. Your ' damn thing ' expression says it all, lol !

On 07/07/2023 at 14:15, LDW1 said:

Based on your last paragraph are you implying that prices for this gear will go down further based on the history that you seem to mention ?  We are still talking the SeeStar 50 and / or similar ?  Right now a low $500 or less !

I feel I should add to this…

Since I bought my first desktop IBM PC for c£1700 or so, with a 4.7MHz 8088 cpu, 16K of RAM with no disk drives, you can now buy something the size of a ‘vape’  with 64G RAM, 128G storage for a couple of hundred pounds.

I did own several other machines such as Dragon, Amstrad 512 and TRS-80.

These smart telescopes may have a market, particularly in education, which can drive production up and costs down.

i’m just noting that if a product takes off….. it can develop rapidly.

Nothing else to add to this thread.

• Like 1

I've just "liked" a set of images taken with a robotic scope elsewhere on SGL.

I see the FLO have a bit of a sale on a selection of robotic scopes right now. I'm getting a twitchy finger!

I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my NEQ6 mount as it's just at the limit for my newish 10" RC scope. But it's only been out maybe 8 or 10 ten times this year so far and the EQ6 does alright, if I'm honest.

So for the same money or less (much less for the Seestar) I could scratch the itch and get a plug and play robotic scope. Great for up at our Luxury Cumbrian Villa, with it's rural/semi rural sky. I don't get chance to set up fancy gear there, but one of these would be perfect.

Plonk it outside, open a can of cheap lager and explore the sky. Simples! :)

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I wonder how much sky the Seestar 50 needs to see to carry out its automatic alignment. I have quite a few big trees that block a lot of the view from my back garden.

I was wondering the same thing.  I have about a 20 degree slice of the southern sky from 20 degrees above the horizon up to zenith visible from my back patio.

• Like 1

Should be fine. Using my 30mm guidescope and a 224 sensor my setup can plate solve fine which I assume is how the alignment will work, think that gives me a 2 x 2 degree view of sky. The overall routine is key, for AP you just need location settings to be correct and polar alignment, for altaz systems I've used it's usually a 1 to 3 star alignment once it's pointed north.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

Using my 30mm guidescope and a 224 sensor my setup can plate solve fine which I assume is how the alignment will work, think that gives me a 2 x 2 degree view of sky. 

I was wondering whereabouts in the whole sky the Seestar would point in order to do its plate solving. Perhaps the user can choose?

Just taken the plunge and preordered an S50 from Flo.

Was saving for a 31mm Nagler - but family and work pressures, plus the endlessly cloudy weather seem to be conspiring to keep me away from the night sky at the moment (even solar is a bit dicey).

I'm hoping a easy eaa setup will let me scratch the astro itch a bit more regularly.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Giles_B said:

Just taken the plunge and preordered an S50 from Flo.

Was saving for a 31mm Nagler - but family and work pressures, plus the endlessly cloudy weather seem to be conspiring to keep me away from the night sky at the moment (even solar is a bit dicey).

I'm hoping a easy eaa setup will let me scratch the astro itch a bit more regularly.

Unless you're dead set on the last 6mm of field stop diameter and 9 degrees of AFOV, I'd get some variation of the 30mm APM UFF.  I much prefer it to my 30mm ES-82 for many reasons (lower weight and bulk, greater eye relief, near perfect edge to edge sharpness, lack of ring of fire, etc.).  That, and you'll save a nice chunk of change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

Unless you're dead set on the last 6mm of field stop diameter and 9 degrees of AFOV, I'd get some variation of the 30mm APM UFF.  I much prefer it to my 30mm ES-82 for many reasons (lower weight and bulk, greater eye relief, near perfect edge to edge sharpness, lack of ring of fire, etc.).  That, and you'll save a nice chunk of change.

Hum. My reasoning for that particular item was that I love my 20mm T5 Nagler, and I really don't enjoy my 34mm ES 68. Admittedly the reasons are a bit superficial - ES eye guards are flimsy and I get frequent kidney beaning, also compared to my Naglers I find the ES relatively low contrast in local bortle 5-6 skies. All things I can live with, but would rather not. The big Nagler seemed an obvious, if expensive, choice. I did consider the Panoptic.

It's moot now, the cash is spent on the s50. It'll be a good six months before I'm anywhere near the next big astro buy - hopefully I'll see the s50 before that!

Edited by Giles_B

1 hour ago, Giles_B said:

It's moot now, the cash is spent on the s50. It'll be a good six months before I'm anywhere near the next big astro buy - hopefully I'll see the s50 before that!

I had kind of thought you had saved up enough for the Terminagler.  Since the S50 is $300 less than the Terminagler, I figured you had enough to pick up a 30mm APM UFF for $200.

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

I had kind of thought you had saved up enough for the Terminagler.  Since the S50 is $300 less than the Terminagler, I figured you had enough to pick up a 30mm APM UFF for $200.

Okay,, I understand - thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't saved enough for the TV, so no cash to spare for now, but I'll bear APM in mind going forward.

New since when? Most of it is excited speculation on the Facebook thread. Dithering, access to unstacked subs in FITS and the availability of a replacement battery was confirmed on 19th July.  AT some point it was mentioned that a combined Ha and OIII filter was included. Today's news is that potentially a solar filter is now included as well as standard (potentially because they are asking for 1000 total facebook shares of this information by 31st July to do this). Other than this, it's just the usual teasers of photos from beta-testers. The DSOs look impressive to me (a non astrophotographer) at this spec and price point - I'm less sold by the solar pictures, but that's because I already have a good visual solar setup. Certainly if the DSO views posted are the norm I will be very satisfied with these as a sort of camera assisted EEA for faint DSOs (which is most of them from my garden).

Incidently I am not on Facebook either. Checking the ZWO s50 owners thread on Facebook is made easier by using duckduckgo as a browser - on chrome I get locked out by a demand to login to Facebook.

Update 27/7: the solar filter is now definitely included (they got their 1000 shares - mainly spammed over the ZWO s50 owners thread!) - applies to all orders whenever they are/were made.

Edited by Giles_B
  • Like 1