NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

Starting to try using the Seestar in EQ mode,  had issues first time getting it aligned but managed to hit a rough PA before calling it a night.

I did a goto to M13 to check it was aligned and managed a 10 minutes of 10 sec exposures, with a quick process in Pixinsight as below.

M13Final.thumb.png.079742b13ebd83f6c8d2c36baec3a51f.png

It even caught NGC6207 in top right of image. Once I get the hang of setup and PA it properly I can try longer exposures and more of them.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Starting to try using the Seestar in EQ mode,  had issues first time getting it aligned but managed to hit a rough PA before calling it a night.

I did a goto to M13 to check it was aligned and managed a 10 minutes of 10 sec exposures, with a quick process in Pixinsight as below.

It even caught NGC6207 in top right of image. Once I get the hang of setup and PA it properly I can try longer exposures and more of them.

I really like it Steve ... nice one mate 

On 29/04/2024 at 19:54, CCD-Freak said:

I just don't like the field rotation of an Alt-Az mount so if ZWO would update the firmware / software to support operation in equatorial mode and offer an EQ wedge option I would probably buy one to play with while my regular imaging setup is running. 

I would get one anyway, you don't realize the fun you are missing at such a low cost !  You might become addicted like the rest of us, lol !

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Another recent take !

/IMG_5109.thumb.jpeg.6cf6248b954f0c6b6b0792b13ce64f8b.jpegIMG_5111.thumb.jpeg.6b7abf1de7e68202696e46530cf425aa.jpeg

I used the SS's built in stacker for these, I like it and I like to support SS when I can !

12 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

A great take !

Today’s sun at midday. Plenty of CME activity apparently going on today. A couple of shots straight out of the box.

IMG_4835.jpeg

IMG_4833.jpeg

• Like 2

A friend has kindly made me a 3d printed solar filter for the Seestar with a Baader film. I've applied a little AI sharpening and denoise.

93640-SharpenAI-Standard-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LaurenceT said:

A friend has kindly made me a 3d printed solar filter for the Seestar with a Baader film. I've applied a little AI sharpening and denoise.

Great take !  With the Baader film on a day when air currents are as still as you can get, especially around 10 am and winds are very lite the edges of the sunspots should be razor sharp not lot like the SS stock solar filter that uses the Thousand Oak mylar film with the phoney orange tinge.   I hope someone starts turning them out, I will buy one in a heart beat no matter what the cost !

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

M12 !   Ophiuchus holds several (5) nice star clusters.

IMG_5092.thumb.jpeg.08f5e6a10ebad023d13b05b02b96976f.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
reduce photo size
  • Like 2

Has anybody tried to do any spectroscopy with the SeeStar and say a StarAnalyser (Paton Hawksley)?  

Jim 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I stayed up til 3:30 am to get this, I couldn't wait for July-Sept to get here, lol. I just did a touch up with my built in ipad editor.

IMG_5141.thumb.jpeg.07d11af30ca919a240fe8bfdedbe8a20.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
reduce photo size
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, AstroKeith said:

The Baader solar film is definitely better than the supplied filter ...

IMG_0712.jpeg

There has never been any doubt !  The Thousand Oaks mylar film with its phony orange tinge is the worst ever, SS must have gotten a great deal to use it in their solar filters.

Posted (edited)

A small part of Masrkarian's Chain from several nites ago !

IMG_5131.thumb.jpeg.8517477580aba38561ad09bd858a66e8.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
reduce photo size
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 17:44, LaurenceT said:

interesting, any chance of a pic of the filter?

I was thinking if it were possible to use a 49mm/2-inch filter and replace the glass with solar film tho it wouldn't have much of a retaining contact area at the edges. Reason being I have a 2-inch filter adaptor and use a 49mm step-down to fit a lens hood so it could serve a second purpose if I rigged something to suit. Probably a bad idea tho maybe a step-ring to a much larger diameter would work if I get one of this type:
image.png.741b75a6d8604954ac0dac81c4e3956a.png

I guess using a cokin filter carrier might work and make my own using baader film and thick card, seem to be plenty available low cost in the bay, hmmm.

Edited by DaveL59

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

interesting, any chance of a pic of the filter?

I was thinking if it were possible to use a 49mm/2-inch filter and replace the glass with solar film tho it wouldn't have much of a retaining contact area at the edges. Reason being I have a 2-inch filter adaptor and use a 49mm step-down to fit a lens hood so it could serve a second purpose if I rigged something to suit. Probably a bad idea tho maybe a step-ring to a much larger diameter would work if I get one of this type:
image.png.741b75a6d8604954ac0dac81c4e3956a.png

I guess using a cokin filter carrier might work and make my own using baader film and thick card, seem to be plenty available low cost in the bay, hmmm.

I'm the 'friend'. It incorporates a sun funder for those occasions when the Seestar doesnt lock on straight away. Its thin enough so the Seestar can switch off with it in place.

IMG_6278.jpeg

IMG_6277.jpeg

Edited by AstroKeith
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, AstroKeith said:

I'm the 'friend'. It incorporates a sun funder for those occasions when the Seestar doesnt lock on straight away. Its thin enough so the Seestar can switch off with it in place.

IMG_6278.jpeg

IMG_6277.jpeg

neat, I assume it can click open to replace the film when needed?

Right now I've yet to try the solar filter it came with, typical it's been odd sunny periods when I'm working and rarely when I'm free. One day I'll give it a go tho, after all 'summer' is coming and if there's a few non-english summer days at a weekend... 😉 

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

neat, I assume it can click open to replace the film when needed?

Right now I've yet to try the solar filter it came with, typical it's been odd sunny periods when I'm working and rarely when I'm free. One day I'll give it a go tho, after all 'summer' is coming and if there's a few non-english summer days at a weekend... 😉 

One of my first prototypes did snap together so the film could be replaced. But it was too thick to stay in place when the Seestar parked. As I have a 3d printer, and they cost almost nothing to reprint, the current design is super-glued together. Actually making it more durable as I know of three people who have put their finger through the supplied filter and pushed the film out, and it doesn't go back!

Posted (edited)

Here's a comparison of images of the sun this morning. The first is taken using the supplied ZWO Solar filter and the second using an ND1000000 filter. Both images are straight from  the Seestar via the app with the only editing being a crop.

The ND100000 filter is a Neewer NANO 55mm threaded camera filter attached with an adapter from OakAstro which I found on Etsy.

Image0-72.jpg.6de87248dd01bcf2611cfdc5b6c68434.jpgImage1-12.jpg.c0a9e6dd0491023a279937bdd3ff6bde.jpg

Edited by trailer
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, trailer said:

Here's a comparison of images of the sun this morning. The first is taken using the supplied ZWO Solar filter and the second using an ND1000000 filter. Both images are straight from  the Seestar via the app with the only editing being a crop.

The ND100000 filter is a Neewer NANO 55mm threaded camera filter attached with an adapter from OakAstro which I found on Etsy.

That's a great option, just ordered a K&F one in 49mm as that'll go straight onto the filter adaptor I already have and probably more durable, plus I could pop it onto one of my camera lenses if I ever feel the need to have a play with that instead 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

That's a great option, just ordered a K&F one in 49mm as that'll go straight onto the filter adaptor I already have and probably more durable, plus I could pop it onto one of my camera lenses if I ever feel the need to have a play with that instead 🙂 

Just ordered the same filter from K&F. Thanks.