Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy equipment improvements over the next couple of decades

In the relatively short time I've been in this hobby I've seen things like the mass production of higher quality scopes keep on expanding, the use of night vision gear appear, much improved astronomy apps that hold huge amounts of easily accessible information, and the list goes on.

I have been wondering what developments and improvements we might expect in telescopes, mounts, and other gear  in the future.  The one thing I would welcome would be more weight savings in any/all areas of astronomy kit. That would make bigger apertures more easily manageable by more people and that would mean better views for more people.

What are your predictions or requests (however possible or impossible they may seem right now) for improvements in astronomy gear over the next 10 or 20 years?

I have been in the hobby for a great number of years, most dedicated to it for the past 15 or so years.
The observation you make about kit is as I see it as well, things are very much more available and at more affordable cost that when I started out.

The one thing I wish we could solve above all else, sadly is unlikely resolvable, because its the flipping cloud that gets me.
Cloud feels far more freely available than when I started out.

On a serious note, what I do hope is that the wonder of visual observing is not lost in the technological frenzy in which we find ourselves.
I like the simple and to me 'more pure' form of the hobby,
this is no slur on those who love the technology side of thongs of course, we all walk our own paths after all.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 4

In reply to your question...

738812906_Screenshot(37).png.f89f51468cec5fa9a157afa9643d8e0b.png

…that there is a total and global/worldwide ban of these SOL/SUN filters being included with beginner sets or sold separately...!

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

In order to defeat the ever increasing light pollution i suspect we will start seeing the lines blurred and hybrid scopes showing up that will help deal with it 

Edited by Mike Q

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

On a serious note, what I do hope is that the wonder of visual observing is not lost in the technological frenzy in which we find ourselves.
I like the simple and to me 'more pure' form of the hobby,

Alan , you are spot on .Visual will always remain as the most basic , yet most satisfying aspect of astronomy in my opinion . 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Alan , you are spot on .Visual will always remain as the most basic , yet most satisfying aspect of astronomy in my opinion

I'm with Alan on this one as well. I recently got a Goto mount, first in 40 years of stargazing (on and off) and whilst I can appreciate it and it is pretty amazing, I still like to take a scope, a few eyepieces and a manual mount outside and keep it very simple. I look at the Sun and Moon, the Planets when they're about and brighter deep-sky objects. Even though I'm looking at the same objects year after year it is still very rewarding to see all of these amazing sights and finding them, for me, is half the fun.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I'm with Alan on this one as well. I recently got a Goto mount, first in 40 years of stargazing (on and off) and whilst I can appreciate it and it is pretty amazing, I still like to take a scope, a few eyepieces and a manual mount outside and keep it very simple. I look at the Sun and Moon, the Planets when they're about and brighter deep-sky objects. Even though I'm looking at the same objects year after year it is still very rewarding to see all of these amazing sights and finding them, for me, is half the fun.

Have to admit i have a "manual " starsense module , modified for my manual mount , technology helping visual. BTW , most if not all can recall their first view of Saturn , maybe in a very basic scope , but nontheless one of the most rewarding views . Looking at a photo is nice but nothing compares to seeing those rings with your own eyes . 

• Like 3

I suspect that NV augmented instruments will become more common and more affordable. I wonder if the boundaries between observing and imaging will blur ? Equipment that connects seamlessly with mobile technology will continue to develop and become more widespread - after all mobile phones have, like it or not, become an integral part of most peoples lives.

I hope that simple observing will continue but I suspect that it will increasingly become a niche activity within the amateur side of astronomy.

I'd love to hear what the folks at FLO think about potential future directions - it must be something that is on their mind frequently 🙂 

Edited by John
  • Like 7

I got into spending on a decent scope about 20 years ago. At that time motorised mounts had a big price penalty compared to manual. As for goto - if you need to ask the price and all that.
Strangely I don't remember dob mounts being popular among the big manufacturers. Or is it my defective grey cells?
I did own an ETX90 that on paper appeared to do everything, But experience with this, and other goto mounts led me to the opinion that goto was a faff.
Having to set the date/time and align every time out.
Some earlier Meade handsets used to corrupt memory if they got a dodgy 12V connection. Requiring throw away, or an expensive programming adapter.

Today we see a lot of starter type scopes where the electronics cost means compromising on the mount and and optics.
But when your mount has gps or talks to your phone, a lot of goto setup faff has been addressed.

To the future. There is a huge amount of amateur equipment in the world. A lot with good optics.
Will more people look at putting an old optically good scope on a new clever mount?
Will the clever image processing get used more to correct for mount errors on a visual scope.
We already see guiding used when imaging. Why not use guiding when visually observing?
I have no doubt the visual enhancement aspect will move forward.
A scope that knows what object you are looking at and puts the effort into enhancing only the parts of the spectrum relevant to you.
We already fit filters on eyepieces for visual. This could done for an EV scope with it's own filter wheel.
As we age, our ability to extract detail from dim objects diminishes. Electronic eyepeices of any sort can help here.
No need to worry about dark adapting for faint fuzzies after viewing the moon.

Sadly I think that increasing light pollution is going to restrict our UK experiences.
I don't know if it is the rose tinted glasses with fond memories of the past. But I don't think we get the clear nights that we used to see.
Climate change? I have not researched this, it is just an uneducated and biassed opinion.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, John said:

I suspect that NV augmented instruments will become more common and more affordable.

An active night vision eyepiece, something like a Quark that just plugs into a regular scope but allows you to see in NV.

• Like 3

I suspect it won't be long until we can connect to an amateur satellite scope/network like our own hubble. Being able to send them up ourselves will play havoc with air traffic control so rules out a drone/weather balloon type one.

• Like 2

As far as imaging goes, I think the trend for software fixes on the image instead of expensive precise mounts and optics to obtain top notch data will continue, which IMHO can only be a good thing, as a software license is never going to cost as much as a top quality mount or optics. Will there be increased growth in remote imaging services as the UK skies go further downhill due to LP and the weather? I think there has to be a breakthrough in pricing for it to really take off and I currently can't see how that can happen. I also think the majority of imagers do like to be 'hands on" with their kit.

The days of  "you can't do all types of DSO imaging with just one scope" might also be numbered, with the increasing popularity of F2 astrograph systems and super sensitive small pixel CMOS cameras, but I can't see that mantra going quietly, there are just too many moderate FR imaging rigs already out there.

• Like 1

I suspect that we will see more of the integrated EV scopes such as the Dwarf2, Vespera, EVscope2, ZWO Seestar, offering EEVA in an (allegedly) easy to use package.  And maybe more new, lighter weight, cleverer mounts. Maybe computer-designed refits to keep older mounts and scopes turning.

Astrophotography will continue to be popular.

And some will continue to use the old-style no-electrics kit.

One thing that won't change is newbies complaining that they can't get their clever new electronic scopes to work. 😁

• Haha 2

There's no point. It doesn't matter how advanced the equipment becomes global warming just means ever increasing cloud cover.

I think there's no longer any future in astronomy from this vile swamp of a country.

Edited by DaveS
  • Sad 2

You'll be able to stay in the house while AI or some equally boring piece of electronic gadgetry does everything for you, so you don't have to bother acquiring any skill at all. AI answers exam questions and does  essays for you so you don't even need to study anymore. Well all be pointless bags of blubber just waiting to die. What fun!

• Haha 4

Harmonic drive and other non "normal" GEM type mounts will probably become more popular, and hopefully more affordable in the not too distant future. Light pollution combating equipment can only get more advanced as more and more areas around the world get consumed by city lights. AI tools for image processing and maybe even image capturing will become more popular if and when more tools are released, especially if someone starts to compete with Russel Croman tools and release their own suite of products. Cameras will keep getting better and better until one day discussions about optimal exposure times are met with rolling eyes and comments about not bothering. For many scope/camera combinations we are already there with very low noise cameras and fast scopes becoming the norm rather than a lavish expense.

For visual only folks i think the world of astronomy will not change all that dramatically. Scopes keep getting better and cheaper and more ways to fight light pollution will become available. Camera aided EEVA being one of them, and maybe an electronic eyepiece type night vision another.

• Like 3

Elon Musk will offer to put your telescope into orbit in his new Clear View Sky Train satellite constellation. You know, the one that sits in a higher orbit than his original Sky Train constellation that trashed the night sky view for everybody. :( 

AI post processing software - two levels of service

- do everything - lets you upload your files as captured and produces optimised image, saves time which you can use to sleep, drink whisky.

- take me by the hand - analyses your data then offers step by step guide like an expert on your shoulder; saves time which you can use to sleep, drink more whisky.

Jim

Edited by saac
  • Haha 1

In the future, prices for all astrophotography related equipment will fall to normal pre "how much!"  levels.

Yeah, that is not going to happen , I'm betting on Elon Musk's Clear View constellation. :)  

Jim 

• Haha 1