NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dehumidifier Scheduling for 2.7m Fibreglass Observatory

DeepSkyMan

Hi there I recently installed an EcoAir DD1 Mk5 dehumidifier in my Pulsar Observatory.  Looking for recommendations for scheduling.  I currently have the unit scheduled on between 05:00 and 09:00.  I’m thinking that in addition to this I should probably have the unit running during the evening as well.  Or… perhaps there are more optimal schedules?

I live in central Scotland.

Kind Regards

Paul.

I used to run to a schedule but I bought a device made by Inkbird that can switch devices such as a dehumidifier at a set humidity level.  It switches my dehumidifier off and on that way.  I periodically check to see what the dewpoint is expected to be and change the setting as necessary.  Seems to work OK as I don't really have any issues with humidity in my Pulsar 2.7m.

• 1 month later...
On 14/09/2022 at 22:45, DeepSkyMan said:

Hi there I recently installed an EcoAir DD1 Mk5 dehumidifier in my Pulsar Observatory.  Looking for recommendations for scheduling.  I currently have the unit scheduled on between 05:00 and 09:00.  I’m thinking that in addition to this I should probably have the unit running during the evening as well.  Or… perhaps there are more optimal schedules?

I was just wondering how you scheduled it to run? Is it on a separate time switch? I am looking for a dehumidifier for my observatory, but I cannot find one with a daily timer.

5 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I was just wondering how you scheduled it to run? Is it on a separate time switch? I am looking for a dehumidifier for my observatory, but I cannot find one with a daily timer.

There are plenty of 24hour timers with three pin sockets if that's all you need

2 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

There are plenty of 24hour timers with three pin sockets if that's all you need

Unfortunately it is not that simple. I purchased a dehumidifier with this in mind, but when it lost power it would not restart without me pressing the button. I want to check if I buy another it will work on a standard timer socket timer. 

4 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Unfortunately it is not that simple. I purchased a dehumidifier with this in mind, but when it lost power it would not restart without me pressing the button. I want to check if I buy another it will work on a standard timer socket timer. 

Ah I see, in that case I'd say probably not then.

Made me think though as our current one will power straight up as soon as power is applied but was thinking about buying a new one for the obs but after you saying this it's clear I need to be careful I don't run into the same issue.

Edited by scotty38

My dehumidifier comes on and off with the mains switch so would work with a plug in timer, here is the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD122-Simple-Desiccant-Dehumidifier/dp/B00474K8SY/ref=asc_df_B00474K8SY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214522367922&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2352945275212994399&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007072&hvtargid=pla-384762808543&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

But don’t all dehumidifiers come with a humidity setting control? Just set this to the required level, leave it switched on and it will run when required, depending on the ambient conditions, unless you don’t feel comfortable having it powered up 24/7. You would obviously have to switch it off at the start of your session and back on when your observatory is all closed up.

• Thanks 1