NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Better late than never, maybe !

Hamal67

Hello fellow gazers, I've been "lurking" since last summer and only recently registered, truth is I felt a bit intimidated by the knowledge/expertise among the members and the sophisticated equipment owned, daft I know.

I've really enjoyed looking at the marvellous photographs posted, the time and effort involved must be immense.

Anyway, my name is Gary I live on the Sussex coast near Hastings, I have a Skywatcher 5" reflector and an ETX 70, some cheap bino's from a well known discount store, a pile of books, planisphere, and two glow in the dark posters :) oh, and I still don't have a clue what I'm doing !

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, a warm welcome Gary.

As you can see from the posts, SGL is a very friendly and informal place to enjoy!

Ask any astro question you want - don't fear it is too silly or trivial. We've all been beginners once.

In fact, I've found that the more one learns about Astronomy, the more there is to learn!

However, it is a marvellous hobby, which anyone can enjoy with the minimum of knowledge and equipment!

Best wishes,

philsail1

Hi Gary from just up the road in East Grinstead. You should not feel intimidated at all, if the truth be known, there are not that many of us that know what we are doing either ....... but it does not stop us having fun doing it.

Why not go along to the next Adur meeting - not that far from you and several SGLers are members / founders.

Anyway, a big welcome to SGL and don't be shy.

Mike

Welcome to SGL Gary, don't feel intimidated, I have only recently joined myself and have already asked alot of questions that I thought were stupid but were met with some incredibly useful answers from the guys on the forum. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Enjoy yourself :)

Amanda

Hi Gary, and a warm welcome to SGL.

Really sorry to hear that you feel somewhat intimidated with regards 'posting' on the forum.

I know its easy for me to say, but you really shouldn't be, as there just isn't a more friendly forum than SGL.

Yes, we do have people with a lot of experience and expensive 'kit', but we also have a great many people who are novices, with basic equipment, and they are just as much part of the SGL community as anyone else.

Remember, that each and everyone of us here, started out at the bottom of the 'learning curve', and we all are still learning.

No question is considered too 'basic', and nobody is going belittle anyone. If they did, then Admin or the Mods, would 'jump on it' very quickly.

Asking questions is an excellent way of learning, and people on here get pleasure from helping others.

So, make the most of SGL, and enjoy it.

Dave

Archived