Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Virgin's Cosmic Girl on its way over to Cornwall for Sept satellite launch

DaveL59

23 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Is it possible to see this as a dot moving across the sky like a satellite ?

The rocket launch is far enough from land such that quote" ,, the blast zone, in the event of catastrophic failure, poses no risk to people or property ,,,"  last night on telly! Also shown was one of the  ( 9 ? ) mini-sats being one-hand held so even with its small solar panels extended it (they?) is probably  going to be dim. 

I have not got the dimensions of Prospero to hand but I think it was a lot bigger than this (these) and the rocket was very big !

• Like 1

Best I can hope for is to see the 747 on Flightradar24.com .

Everyone in this household came home excitedly telling me about the rocket launch tonight. Do I know, have I see, where's it going and why. I guess it's been all over the news today 😀

Me thinks someone paid for some promotion here! 

Branson was best in his Atlantic racing and ballooning days. I think he's missed the boat in the space race! Or did he miss a space in the boat race...

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Looking at the flight path I think it might be visible from the southern most coast of Ireland.

Not tonight it won’t! I live on the south west tip of Ireland, perfect place you might think. But current solid cloud and pouring rain is forecast to continue until about 4am 😢

• Sad 2

Predicted drop just after 11, @Stu you’re a bit closer, you got a reasonable south westerly horizon? I could go to the local park but after the recent Mercury-in-trees fun I think it’ll be too low…. How far away can you see the light of a big firework… it’s not in the scale of Elons?!

Peter

2 minutes ago, Malpi12 said:

I'm not saying here high on my SW facing hillside, , in case the cloud gods hear me, .  .where is my rabbit's foot , , 

I’m in the garden, good horizon from here but clouding up a bit 🤬.

Anyone know how high it will be? @Captain Scarlet we need some of your maths ability here!

Not very from the BAA predictions… like less than 10days and heading southwards at speed, you’ve got 100miles or so on me. More detail on the predictions at different times, with some elevation estimates would have been useful. 

peter

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Anyone know how high it will be? @Captain Scarlet we need some of your maths ability here!

I think Magnus has gone to bed with a hot chocolate, nothing to see apart from what he can view on the live stream.

Peter

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

you gonna be posting a video of the view of it flashing across the sky? 🤞

Would have been nice to have heard the to/fro with pilots and tower on the taxi and clearance to go etc rather than some of the chatter but such is life. A live vid from the cockpit too as they start the loop and prep, dunno if they'll be doing that.

Edited by DaveL59

Have a clear SW horizon here in Waterford, Ireland, but think I've cloud all the way along line of sight. Lovely calm night though. Mad to see so little air traffic over Ireland