Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Virgin's Cosmic Girl on its way over to Cornwall for Sept satellite launch

DaveL59

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

I thought only the Guardian/Telegraph and Observer had that honor of lining a Budgie cage... its all they are good for..

Give me a proper newspaper any day 😀

Alan

did you forget the "i"? 😉 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ouch, spending too much too quickly. Good to hear that the UK space activity seems to be in much better overall health. Be interesting to see what happens in the coming years

Peter

• Like 1

Good to know the employees have not been totally abandoned?!? Maybe they deserved
more than ONE attempt? Recently, the Japanese also suffered a similar "orbital failure"? 😐

I only noticed 'cos ESA sent them a rather sporting: "Better luck next time, Folks!" Tweet! 😎
https://youtu.be/pf-iZz3Pggw  (Japanese H3 Rocket Failure - Destruct Command issued)

Of course the *Elon Fans* are forever "roaring him on"... seemingly forgetting any failures?

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Macavity said:

Of course the *Elon Fans* are forever "roaring him on"... seemingly forgetting any failures?

Failure is part of Musk's development process - much like Brian McCready (who won the Kremer prize). Unpinning this is having components that are reusable (as well as easily repairable) to enable a fast development cycle. It also helps to be well capitalised at the start which it seems Virgin Orbit was not if it only took one failure to bring the company to near collapse.

<Pondering> I could never work in "Space Science"! Spend TEN YEARS of your
life *building* something... and then it might just "blow up" on the launchpad?!?😱

I do feel a bit sorry for NASA... They can do nothing right... in the eyes of some...
Hope R. Branson is OK too! Back in the 70's, "risk" was owning a Virgin Record? 😅

virgin.jpg.4996a53dda472f6efe508aa1bc654d89.jpg

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

I hate to see this. Must have been on a very tight budget. 

Hope it does sell, but worry about investors who might lose in the process!

I had a quick look at the financial filings - looks like they have been burning through $150m per year, with revenues in the last year of around $2m. Even if the satellite launch had been successful, I'm not sure the profit on a launch (estimated at $12m cost per launch) would have been enough to get the company to breakeven given the current competition level in the launch market.

• 1 month later...

Yep, I saw that too on the beeb.

Edit: I expect our favourite Angry Astronaut will have something excoriating to say.

Edited by DaveS

• 3 months later...