Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Virgin's Cosmic Girl on its way over to Cornwall for Sept satellite launch

DaveL59

What I find really sad is that we have to find out about what we're doing in space from an anglophile American. We barely hear anything from our own press, even the Beeb.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

wow so little info coming in on this one but it seems a window opens from 29-Oct so we could see some mainstream news interest later this month. Or not as mostly seems the case lately, not making a big enough splash, or is that explosion...

Spaceport Cornwall expecting first launch within weeks - Cornwall Live

Countdown to launch: British-built satellite completes line-up for first launch from Spaceport Cornwall - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I suppose a big 747 with a rocket on its wing isn't all that exciting huh 😞 

Too many artsy types in the meeja, probably gave up science before GCSE.

Check out the broadcast channels, chock full of worthless Drama, Stupid people being stupid while screaming threats at each other and committing GBH. Or is that just "Eastenders"?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Too many artsy types in the meeja, probably gave up science before GCSE.

Check out the broadcast channels, chock full of worthless Drama, Stupid people being stupid while screaming threats at each other and committing GBH. Or is that just "Eastenders"?

not to mention the seemingly endless run of 'reality' and 'talent' shows like that's the only idea any of the channel controllers have re what the public want to watch. Leads to a generation of skoolies who's ambition isn't to achieve something worthwhile but to be 'famous' on some such show.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed some photos of 'Cosmic Girl', carrying out a test flight, from my bedroom window this afternoon.

I had hoped to photograph her arrival, as I'm under the usual Newquay flightpath, but she approached from the North instead and didn't fly over much of Cornwall on that occasion.

The 3rd photo is the Atlas Air 747 that delivered the rocket to Spaceport Cornwall this afternoon.

Regards, Mike.

IMG_8886.JPG

IMG_8889.JPG

IMG_8876.JPG

• Like 1

Not so sure now about the Atlas Air 747 transporting the rocket: according to the Cornwall Live website it was delivered via C17 military transport that same morning. No doubt the Atlas Air flight was Spaceport-related, though, as Newquay doesn't normally see services via 747 from Los Angeles 😃.

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
typo
  • Like 1

yep that's what I'd read also but ya never know. Good to see its finally happening tho, been a while since the original story about the launch a few months back. Was amusing hearing the angry astronaut waxing on about how massive the plane is etc, its a 747, been around for decades and there's much bigger these days, but I guess maybe not so often seen around Cornwall on a relatively small airstrip.

Having the folks viewing from so close to the stand was "interesting", not much the pilot could do to caution the blast from the engines as he maneuvered, but not as bad as a certain beach

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As an aside, in the live chat I mentioned that I was looking forward to seeing Skylon launch, and after a few comments Jorden said that he had info about a similar launcher, and would be posting in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Angry up close and personal with Cosmic Girl

Shame none of our news channels aren't giving this much air time at all, way to encourage the younger generation that there's some potentially interesting stuff they might aspire to being a part of. I'd have loved the chance once upon a time.

Not surprising really, as that would be cheerful, and totally anathema to the news channels, especially the Beeb, who operate on the principal that "good news is no news". And "we think you aren't miserable enough, so here's another bucket of cold misery to pour over you".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1