NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Site found for UK astro weather prediction

astromerlin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked your site and says no cloud cover for the next couple days ( about time!) been sunny all day it has clouded over just now but im optimistic itll pass!

:):hello2:

Hi,

I'm the owner of TheWeatherOutlook (TWO). I don't want to spam my site on here, but if you've got any questions feel free to ask. I'm a keen amateur astronomer, and own a Skywatcher 200mm Newtonian with GOTO.

Thanks

Brian

Congratulations on a great site brian. I have used your Outlook Models for several years now. I've thought the GFS charts can be surprisingly accurate for such a forward forecast. It may just be my own perception, but I've often thought that they turn out to be surprisingly accurate when we are 2 weeks out, then as time ticks on a week the forecast can change dramatically (for the period now 1 week forward), but when finally the two week is up, the original forecast often comes to pass.

I would say your surf forecast area needs work though. Surfing has been a passion for many years (hence my original use of your charts - I liked to do my own forecasts using surface pressure charts). Good waves result from a combination of groundswell generated at a distance with sufficient wave period, and the appropriate local wind direction on the beach (offshore preferably!). You have the data but it is not displayed conveniently. Magic Seaweed are the standard for this, really. I know a number of RNLI stations that use Magic Seaweed too, so they must be doing something right.

Just constructive critisism. No offence taken I hope.

I use your site, and MS's, every day.

Cheers

tb

Sat24 is handy, but if you want better imagery you could worse than registering here: Dundee Satellite Receiving Station

Regardless of what you use, my usual warning. Visible channel only works in the day, er, obviously. IR of course is showing temperature. So even if it looks clear on IR it can still be overcast with low cloud or fog as they are at or close to the ground temperature, and it looks clear.

Cheers

Ian

I would say your surf forecast area needs work though.

Cheers

tb

Yes I'd agree with that, and it is an area I would like to improve.

One thing some people here may find useful is the new visibility forecasts. You can access these by selecting 'UK visibility' from the Place or postcode dropdown box on most site pages.

These are experimental and won't pick up certain weather types such as local advection fog of the type we've had quite a lot of during recent days. However, they could be useful in certain scenarios to compement the other forecasts on the site. Here's a direct link to the London visibility forecast:

TheWeatherOutlook - UK Weather Forecasts, weather news and weather data

Hi,

I'm the owner of TheWeatherOutlook (TWO). I don't want to spam my site on here, but if you've got any questions feel free to ask. I'm a keen amateur astronomer, and own a Skywatcher 200mm Newtonian with GOTO.

Thanks

Brian

71% cloud for tomorrow night :) I'm volunteering at a star gazing live event. Sort it out please! :)

71% cloud for tomorrow night :) I'm volunteering at a star gazing live event. Sort it out please! :)

Looks like the cloud will increase tomorrow in your area. I'm not too hopeful but will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Does anyone use their nearest airport's TAF and METAR reports? Obviously accuracy will very much depend on how local they are. If so how accurate have you found them to be?

I ask because I am fortunate enough to have several airfields near by and Leeds Bradford airport just down the road.

Does anyone use their nearest airport's TAF and METAR reports? Obviously accuracy will very much depend on how local they are. If so how accurate have you found them to be?

I ask because I am fortunate enough to have several airfields near by and Leeds Bradford airport just down the road.

I have been using TAFs for a long time and find them quite userful and fairly accurate. I guess the downside for most people is having to learn to decode them.

Brian's site by the way, does look good and will probably get my attention much more than the Met Office now.

I wondered about that a couple of mornings ago. But we had a massively high humidity figure, so I thought the fog was probably covered by that.

Back to the avaiation forecast for something I find useful. The METARS include a figures for actual temperatures and dewpoint. If they are in late afternoon, I expect fog at low level.

Archived