NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Site found for UK astro weather prediction

astromerlin

Hi, My other half was browsing the web early this morning as I was still in slumber and found this web page for me.

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/Astronomy%20weather%20forecasts.aspx

It has a page that you can put in your post code and it will show you what cloud cover is going to be like for the next 180 hours in your area in the UK.

It has graphical charts which are easy to understand and also shows surface pressure and wind speed.

Apparently it uses data from the high resolution GFS forecasting model.

Hopefully it might be another good tool to predict whether it's worth setting up for a nights viewing before the next cloud bank rolls in. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm the owner of TheWeatherOutlook (TWO). I don't want to spam my site on here, but if you've got any questions feel free to ask. I'm a keen amateur astronomer, and own a Skywatcher 200mm Newtonian with GOTO.

Thanks

Brian

Funny enough that was the first astro weather site I found. Between it and 7timer 24 - 48hr weather predictions are very accurate. I've got a question actually, where does the feels like temp come from?

I've got a question actually, where does the feels like temp come from?

It's a calculated value based on the forecast mean wind speed and temperature.

The formula is based on the US / Canadian definition of wind chill and is:

13.12 + 0.6215 * temp - 11.37 * Math.pow(windspeed, 0.16) + 0.3965 * temp * Math.pow(windspeed, 0.16)

I only want one weather site that tells me it will be clear every day and night but I think I might have to move house before I find that one.

post-32733-133877745497_thumb.jpg

No need to move, I just made you one. However, I can't guarantee it's accuracy! :)

You may also find the cloud cover forecast charts useful. If you go to the page below, you'll see a radio button option 'UK cloud cover'. Select this and then you'll be able to step through the cloud cover forecast charts for the next 384 hours. Obviously their accuracy decreases the further ahead you look. The charts are regenerated every 6 hours, every day of the year.

Weather forecast chart viewer

Interesting forecasts 75% cloud cover for me and it is completly clear :-)

Owen

Weather forecasts can be wrong even at short range, but remember that 75% is for the entire 3 hour forecast period.

Weather Outlook have been spot on for me this evening so far.

1800 a cloud bank moved in but its due to move later so I'm going to risk it and drive to my dark site 15 miles away.

As Del Boy used to say ' he who dares Rodney, he who dares!' :)

Thank you for the link, as a total beginner I am working my way through the wealth of online info and this site does look good - especially as it promises me clear skies tonight!!!

Nyx > use more than 1 site to base your decision on getting out or not.

I use 6/7 different forecast sites, and as it stands, they're all wrong about the forecast at this precise time. Its thick over with white cloud and a nice sheet of fog, although TWO, BBC, XCWeather, Net Weather, Metcheck all say 'Clear and Bright' well they're wrong! lol

Also, they all forecast clear for tonight, but if you look @ Metoffice and Astronomy Forecasts they are saying White cloud for tonight, so its good to take a few forecasts and have a look out the window as well :)

Just dont get too excited lol :) (Not trying to burst any bubbles here btw)

Archived