Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yep plus 1 for this cable, works perfectly. 

1 hour ago, LaurenceT said:

Thanks guys.  I'll try offload the other cable.   Rother Valley do one of these too i'll see if I can get one ordered.  (for personal reasons I don't do FLO) :)  

Ray

• Like 1

Got to vent, i know you guys will understand.

Another night of frustration with this mount. 3rd one now. I setup a 72ed i bought a few weeks ago. Balanced all good on a table with the pencil trick. Newest eq firmware, newest synscan pro app.  Polar aligned ok manually as i have a dozen times before with old scopes. Start with 3 star alignment.  1st star was quite a way out so i centred it ok. 2nd star slightly out but i centred. 3rd star again slightly out. Align ok. 

First target. Miles away. Spend ages dithering around trying to manually find m81. No chance, i just cant get it in frame. 

Try one of my first alignment stars. Perfect. So i try m51, nowhere near in frame. Up down left right i cant find it. 

An hour of faffing around and i cant see any targets i want. I Pack up as the clouds on the horizon will be rolling in again soon. 

Got to get a guide camera or i swear ill dump this thing in the bin in total frustration.  So frustrating especially as darkness is coming so late now and ive work at 6:30am. 

Ray

• Sad 4

9 hours ago, TerraC said:

Another night of frustration with this mount. 3rd one now. I setup a 72ed i bought a few weeks ago. Balanced all good on a table with the pencil trick. Newest eq firmware, newest synscan pro app.  Polar aligned ok manually as i have a dozen times before with old scopes. Start with 3 star alignment.  1st star was quite a way out so i centred it ok. 2nd star slightly out but i centred. 3rd star again slightly out. Align ok. 

First target. Miles away. Spend ages dithering around trying to manually find m81. No chance, i just cant get it in frame. 

Try one of my first alignment stars. Perfect. So i try m51, nowhere near in frame. Up down left right i cant find it. 

An hour of faffing around and i cant see any targets i want. I Pack up as the clouds on the horizon will be rolling in again soon. 

Got to get a guide camera or i swear ill dump this thing in the bin in total frustration.  So frustrating especially as darkness is coming so late now and ive work at 6:30am. 

Ray

That's awful Ray, feel for you.

1.What is the rest of your set up besides the az gti and 72ed?

2.How do you polar align with your az gti again ?

3. How will a guidecamera help your alignment? 

Sorry I can't remember as covid has addled my brain. 

I'm no expert on the synscan app anymore so hopefully someone will be along to help you.

I agree these late nights now and early morning starts aren't any good for me either (when I get clear skies again) can't wait for autumn so I can get back to it properly and still image the summer targets. 

Cheers 

Lee 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

That's awful Ray, feel for you.

1.What is the rest of your set up besides the az gti and 72ed?

2.How do you polar align with your az gti again ?

3. How will a guidecamera help your alignment? 

Sorry I can't remember as covid has addled my brain. 

I'm no expert on the synscan app anymore so hopefully someone will be along to help you.

I agree these late nights now and early morning starts aren't any good for me either (when I get clear skies again) can't wait for autumn so I can get back to it properly and still image the summer targets. 

Cheers 

Lee 👍

Hi Lee

Previously using a 50ED guidescope to image and also prior to that a Startravel 102.   Moved up to a 72ED Skywatcher.  I have a 2" field flattener and a Canon 550d attached.  I have the AZgti in EQ mode with counterweights.  Balanced the rig on a table with the pencil/iron bar trick to get a good balance on it.  Using external power source 7ah Skywatcher tank to power GTI and a 10,000mha mobile phone charger and dummy battery for the Canon. 

Recently updated to new synscan pro app and flashed the mount with the latest 3.37? firmware.  

I'd hoped to add a guide camera for help to polar align with sharpcap or something like that.  I have a Pi400 I can attach and use astroberry maybe to try platesolve and guiding. 

It's just so frustrating.  I went through a phase of getting aligned up and on a target within 10 mins.  Now I can flounder around for 2hrs and not even see a trace of it. 

Ray

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TerraC said:

I'd hoped to add a guide camera for help to polar align with sharpcap or something like that.  I have a Pi400 I can attach and use astroberry maybe to try platesolve and guiding. 

Deffo try the Pi4000, the platesolving with make it a breeze. With my asiair pro it just makes it so much easier being able to plate solve a target. 

• Like 1

I am relatively new to imaging and only decided to go for it as I had already the AZ GTi and a 224mc as a guide camera when I caught onto this thread.

However a mate showed me the ease of use of the ASI AIR+ which finally made me go for it. I can vouch for the AA+ versatility, it was built for novices and experts alike and I am definately the former.

I have also returned my 183mc camera and purchased the pro version, I will put up new pictures once I have the new setup all put together. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TerraC said:

Hi Lee

Previously using a 50ED guidescope to image and also prior to that a Startravel 102.   Moved up to a 72ED Skywatcher.  I have a 2" field flattener and a Canon 550d attached.  I have the AZgti in EQ mode with counterweights.  Balanced the rig on a table with the pencil/iron bar trick to get a good balance on it.  Using external power source 7ah Skywatcher tank to power GTI and a 10,000mha mobile phone charger and dummy battery for the Canon. 

Recently updated to new synscan pro app and flashed the mount with the latest 3.37? firmware.  

It's just so frustrating.  I went through a phase of getting aligned up and on a target within 10 mins.  Now I can flounder around for 2hrs and not even see a trace of it. 

Ray

I don't know about Astroberry, but the ASI Air Pro was a game changer for me. Instead of spending what seemed like hours trying to find and centre a target I can now carry the rig out, PA, slew to target and be imaging in 10-15 minutes. I don't bother with SynScan app. Bought mine S/H off eBay.

Edited by RayWUK
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, TerraC said:

We've all been there, unfortunately. 

I would still have one more go at sorting out your alignment issues, though. Double check all your settings are correct (although I guess most of these are set through the app) and use bright stars as test targets as they are much easier to locate when the goto is off. Maybe there's a patten to the misalignment (for example a timezone or daylight saving issue that only affects one axis) . If you get the chance to play while the moon is full you haven't really wasted imaging time. 

I spent the first three moths with an Az-goto that wasn't accurate and found I had the wrong daylight saving (although that was with the handset...) 

Good luck! 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RayWUK said:

I don't know about Astroberry, but the ASI Air Pro was a game changer for me. Instead of spending what seemed like hours trying to find and centre a target I can now carry the rig out, PA, slew to target and be imaging in 10-15 minutes. I don't bother with SynScan app. Bought mine S/H off eBay.

Couldn't agree more, I've yet to produce a decent image as I'm still climbing the learning curve but having come from months of using Astroberry/Stellarmate to acquiring a used Asiair Pro it's like night and day.

With the former systems it was a matter of trying to get everything done before a piece of kit lost its driver and I lost my patience. With the Asiair it's all laid out to work through at my own pace, perfect for an ageing simpleton like me 😆.

I still use SynScan when observing in Alt Az mode as I link it to  SkySafari.

• Like 2

I've been using my AZ-GTI in AZ mode for solar observing lately and it has performed perfectly. At one point I was even using it manually with the clutches loosened at it worked remarkably well. 

• Like 1

Star adventurer gti product launch on skywatcher webcast here. 

Astrobackyard and nebula photos are doing reviews on YouTube afterwards 

Nebula photos review 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Astrobackyard and nebula photos are doing reviews on YouTube afterwards 

Nebula photos review 

The only difference I can see from my set up is the larger ra gear. So for this reason I shan't be investing 🐲and save up for an eq5 pro 

Edited by AstroNebulee

27 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

The only difference I can see from my set up is the larger ra gear. So for this reason I shan't be investing  and save up for an eq5 pro 

If the dollar price equates to pounds as usual then I think there are other options to look at especially as it doesn’t offer any higher payload capacity than the AZ-GTI.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ags said:

I've been using my AZ-GTI in AZ mode for solar observing lately and it has performed perfectly. At one point I was even using it manually with the clutches loosened at it worked remarkably well. 

I do this too, so useful for grab and go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayWUK said:

If the dollar price equates to pounds as usual then I think there are other options to look at especially as it doesn’t offer any higher payload capacity than the AZ-GTI.

Exactly my thinking Ray. 

If someone didn't have an az gti and didn't want to convert to eq mode I can see the appeal, but the same payload don't offer me anything. 

On 30/03/2022 at 10:12, Pile of Jam said:

Thank you for the replies.

When the skies clear I'll give your suggestions a try and report back.

So, after several weeks of cloudy nights with the few clear nights coinciding with me being struck down with COVID, I've finally managed (with your help) to come to a working solution.

I connected the mount to AAP as "Alt/Az wedge" which enabled the slewing to work correctly but it would not track.

The only way I've found to overcome this is to align the mount using SynScan, enable tracking and use this to slew to target. I then go into the AAP to plate solve to centre the target. Once that's done, back to Synscan and hit point and track. It's a bit of a pain but seems to work ok.

Now to get guiding working!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pile of Jam said:

So, after several weeks of cloudy nights with the few clear nights coinciding with me being struck down with COVID, I've finally managed (with your help) to come to a working solution.

I connected the mount to AAP as "Alt/Az wedge" which enabled the slewing to work correctly but it would not track.

The only way I've found to overcome this is to align the mount using SynScan, enable tracking and use this to slew to target. I then go into the AAP to plate solve to centre the target. Once that's done, back to Synscan and hit point and track. It's a bit of a pain but seems to work ok.

Now to get guiding working!

Glad you got some sort of workflow going :)
When you are in the AAP after a plate solve to centre of the target can you set the tracking in the AAP to sidereal or am I being stupid (entirely normal) and not possible in the az mode?

Cheers Lee

Thought I'd chip in with my experience of using this little mount for astrophotography using an eq wedge.  Equipment list:

Az-gti with eq wedge (firmware updated).

Astro-modified Canon 700D.

William Optics Z61ii + WO adjustable field flattener.

ZWO ASI 120mm mini mono camera + Astro Essentials 32mm guide scope.

ZWO ASIair pro + LynxAstro ftdi EQDIR USB adapter cable (connects AZ-gti directly to the ASIair pro).

Optolong L-enhance 2" filter.

Homemade counter balance weight.

iPad + ASIair app to control things.

I don't use AA batteries although could at a push - will plug into the mains at home.

With the above set up I can quite happily take guided subs at 5 mins+, although I tend to stick to 3 mins at most (depending on target and sky conditions).  I'll include a couple of example pics below. 

In all honesty before I bought the ASIair I was struggling to get decent polar alignment and thus any subs above 1 min or so were junk.  Achieving PA was a real frustration to the point of considering selling the AZ-gti for something else.  However that ASIair was an instant game changer and in my personal experience is what really brought the mount to life.

The only other issue is payload capacity.  The above set up is right on the limit of weight (possibly even a little over) in my experience.  It will track/guide targets just fine, but the PA process can sometimes be a bit tricky as the mount occasionally stutters or even stops mid-60 degree rotation, which interrupts the PA process meaning I have to start over.  It will also, very occasionally, go all crazy ivan when slewing to a target, meaning I have to turn everything off and start over from scratch.  I think all of this might be weight related and I certainly wouldn't consider putting a larger scope on it.

Anyway, the bottom line is I wouldn't consider selling this mount.  It's (usually) quick and easy to set up, it's very portable, pairs well with the ASIair pro, guides like a boss and takes decent photos.  I don't even worry too much or often about meridian flips (depends on session length).

Note - M51 at the bottom was taken using an un-modified DSLR.

Processed copy.jpg

Processed copy.jpg

FinalPSjpg.jpg

Edited by herne
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, herne said:

Thought I'd chip in with my experience of using this little mount for astrophotography using an eq wedge.  Equipment list:

Az-gti with eq wedge (firmware updated).

Astro-modified Canon 700D.

William Optics Z61ii + WO adjustable field flattener.

ZWO ASI 120mm mini mono camera + Astro Essentials 32mm guide scope.

ZWO ASIair pro + LynxAstro ftdi EQDIR USB adapter cable (connects AZ-gti directly to the ASIair pro).

Optolong L-enhance 2" filter.

Homemade counter balance weight.

iPad + ASIair app to control things.

I don't use AA batteries although could at a push - will plug into the mains at home.

With the above set up I can quite happily take guided subs at 5 mins+, although I tend to stick to 3 mins at most (depending on target and sky conditions).  I'll include a couple of example pics below. 

In all honesty before I bought the ASIair I was struggling to get decent polar alignment and thus any subs above 1 min or so were junk.  Achieving PA was a real frustration to the point of considering selling the AZ-gti for something else.  However that ASIair was an instant game changer and in my personal experience is what really brought the mount to life.

The only other issue is payload capacity.  The above set up is right on the limit of weight (possibly even a little over) in my experience.  It will track/guide targets just fine, but the PA process can sometimes be a bit tricky as the mount occasionally stutters or even stops mid-60 degree rotation, which interrupts the PA process meaning I have to start over.  It will also, very occasionally, go all crazy ivan when slewing to a target, meaning I have to turn everything off and start over from scratch.  I think all of this might be weight related and I certainly wouldn't consider putting a larger scope on it.

Anyway, the bottom line is I wouldn't consider selling this mount.  It's (usually) quick and easy to set up, it's very portable, pairs well with the ASIair pro, guides like a boss and takes decent photos.  I don't even worry too much or often about meridian flips (depends on session length).

Note - M51 at the bottom was taken using an un-modified DSLR.

Processed copy.jpg

Processed copy.jpg

FinalPSjpg.jpg

Great report, really good to hear your time with your az gti mount. It's a lovely setup you have there (do you have a photo of it?). You have some lovely images there and I agree with you on so many points you made. I would never consider selling my az gti I love it. Pairing it with the asiair pro is a godsend and makes everything so much easier, from PA to imaging. I can be set up and imaging in about 15mins. My payload inc counterweights is 5.9kg so over and probably a tad heavier than yours. It's a beautiful little mount that can do amazing things for its price range. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 3

Great report, really good to here your time with your az gti mount. It's a lovely setup you have there (do you have a photo of it?). You have some lovely images there and I agree with you on so many points you made. I would never consider selling my az gti I love it. Pairing it with the asiair pro is a godsend and makes everything so much easier, from PA to imaging. I can be set up and imaging in about 15mins. My payload inc counterweights is 5.9kg so over and probably a tad heavier than yours. It's a beautiful little mount that can do amazing things for its price range. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Picture below, minus the bird's nest of cables!

I have tried mounting the ASIair onto the scope (and thus the mount) to help with cable management, but that was definitely causing weight issues on the AZ-gti, so I tend to just perch it on the tripod leg spacer (not really ideal).

I also took some Moon pictures the other night - I was ready for a DSO imaging session but the Moon was full and ridiculously bright so DSOs were out.  As I'd done my set up and PA I figured I may as well have a crack at the Moon for a change.  I had no idea how the AZ-gti would track it, especially on the eq wedge, but to my (very) pleasant surprise it handled it very well indeed.  I'll include a final picture of it as well - c.300 1/200th shutter speed stacked photos @ ISO200 using everything else as described above (minus the guiding).  I also left 4 seconds between each frame to allow the camera to settle and reduce shake, so overall c.20 mins elapsed time, during which there was a negligible amount of drift of the Moon between the first and last frames.  I was quite impressed by that.

IMG_3412.JPG

final colour.jpg

• Like 2