Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

@AstroNebulee the past half dozen times or so I've used it properly it's worked fine, usually plate solves and slews 1 or 2 times until the target is centred. The only thing I changed last time was I was using my dslr as the main camera. I'll try again with my zwo and see if it still happens.

1. Power the asiair pro with a Celestron lithium LT, and everything else powered by the asiair. Dew heater bands I power with a separate usb power bank.

2. PA was fine less than 10 arc sec.

3. Lynx astro eqdir cable.

4. Haven't messed with the firmware on the asiair yet as it was working prior to the last session.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adyj1 said:

if platesolve is working but the following goto isn't obliging then you may have an issue with the 'sync' commands not being registered - something I've seen in EQASCOM and had to clear the pointing model - however I have no idea whether this is of any relevance with an ASIAIR...

That's what I was thinking but I cant see anywhere on the asiair to edit/modify like you can in ekos. It needs a utility like in EKOS where it shows you where it thinks it is, would make it easier to understand what it's doing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elp said:

@AstroNebulee the past half dozen times or so I've used it properly it's worked fine, usually plate solves and slews 1 or 2 times until the target is centred. The only thing I changed last time was I was using my dslr as the main camera. I'll try again with my zwo and see if it still happens.

1. Power the asiair pro with a Celestron lithium LT, and everything else powered by the asiair. Dew heater bands I power with a separate usb power bank.

2. PA was fine less than 10 arc sec.

3. Lynx astro eqdir cable.

4. Haven't messed with the firmware on the asiair yet as it was working prior to the last session.

Seems strange indeed, be interested to see what happens when you reattach your zwo camera. 

Thank you for starting this thread.

It's great to look at other people's GTI set up. I posted a tread today in this forum about converting my eq2 to a GTI system using my Skywatcher 130m  on it and having used it only once so far I was absolutely made up with it. Everything I wanted to look at the mount put it almost in the middle of the field of view

I have seen write ups about how the skywatcher app to use your phone with the mount is not that good. I disagree as I found the app very intuitive and you could set parameters so you don't trash your scope. 

Having said that if you are going to use it on android I would use an older phone that is using android 10 and older as using it on android 11 is a bloody faff as you have to download an spurious app at the same time (which you can delete but still annoying as its a long winded process)

20220120_161738.thumb.jpg.9eff9e557e52ee8d4c76b83ede87d120.jpg

Edited by Ed the Fox
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ed the Fox said:

It's great to look at other people's GTI set up. I posted a tread today in this forum about converting my eq2 to a GTI system using my Skywatcher 130m  on it and having used it only once so far I was absolutely made up with it. Everything I wanted to look at the mount put it almost in the middle of the field of view

I have seen right ups about how the skywatcher app to use your phone with the mount is not that good. I disagree as I found the app very intuitive and you could set parameters so you don't trash your scope. 

Having said that if you are going to use it on android I would use an older phone that is using android 10 and older as using it on android 11 is a bloody faff as you have to download an spurious app at the same time (which you can delete but still annoying as its a long winded process)

Thank you, glad you like the thread. You have a nice AzGti set up there. I agree with using an older model phone when using synscan app, there were bugs with android 11 and above too. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ed the Fox said:

I have seen right ups about how the skywatcher app to use your phone with the mount is not that good. I disagree as I found the app very intuitive and you could set parameters so you don't trash your scope. 

Nice one , Ed ... the tripod is a good fit for the AZ-GTi ... its actually quite stable ,especially if you don't extend it fully ...i would say its even more stable than the skywatcher one that is supplied with the mount . Oh and the counterweight is a good fit .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Nice one , Ed ... the tripod is a good fit for the AZ-GTi ... its actually quite stable ,especially if you don't extend it fully ...i would say its even more stable than the skywatcher one that is supplied with the mount . Oh and the counterweight is a good fit .

Cheers Stu

The tripod is very stable now especially since I filled it with kiln dried sand...

Edited by Ed the Fox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ed the Fox said:

Cheers Stu

The tripod us very stable now especially since I filled it with kiln dried sand...

Good idea , i usually place my power tank on the spreader plate which gives stability . I was going to buy a steel tripod as i have an 80ed on the mount but i'm not sure i need it with the counterweight system i am using . 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Good idea , i usually place my power tank on the spreader plate which gives stability . I was going to buy a steel tripod as i have an 80ed on the mount but i'm not sure i need it with the counterweight system i am using . 

Yes putting your power tank on there is always a good idea. I'm going to hook mine up to the mains power whilst I'm in the back garden as I'm not sure how long 8AA batteries are going to last LOL. 

Edited by Ed the Fox
  • Like 2

For anyone who might experience plate solving and goto slew syncs being off progressively worse on each iteration of solve using an Asiair and azgti, though it wasn't part of my routine originally as I thought polar alignment would set the azgti orientation together with the location lat long info I did this to sort my initial issue:

1. Make sure the telescope and mount is in the home position (counterweight pointing down, telescope pointing up toward Polaris) before switching on the electrics.

2. Do the polar alignment routine.

3. Once polar alignment is complete (telescope should still be around the 60 Deg rotated in RA), under telescope tab press the goto home position (this action is what I didn't do previously and the following).

4. If correct the telescope should slew back to the home position 0 degrees (+90 degrees declination).

5. If you find it's rotating to another RA stop it and manually unlock the clutches and rotate back to home position.

6. Lock the clutches again and press the goto home button again, if it's right it shouldn't move, or very little.

7. From the home position goto your target.

8. Whenever you start a new target it's recommended to slew back to the home position before slewing to the new target, at least this way you can roughly physically check the alignment is still accurate.

Further point to the above, as you may have made physical adjustments always good to recheck your polar alignment before commencing imaging.

Credit due to nhmorgan79 on CN.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Elp said:

For anyone who might experience plate solving and goto slew syncs being off progressively worse on each iteration of solve, though it wasn't part of my routine originally as I thought polar alignment would set the azgti orientation together with the location lat long info I did this to sort my initial issue:

1. Make sure the telescope and mount is in the home position (counterweight pointing down, telescope pointing up toward Polaris) before switching on the electrics.

2. Do the polar alignment routine.

3. Once polar alignment is complete (telescope should still be around the 60 Deg rotated in RA), under telescope tab press the goto home position (this action is what I didn't do previously and the following).

4. If correct the telescope should slew back to the home position 0 degrees.

5. If you find it's rotating to another RA stop it and manually unlock the clutches and rotate back to home position.

6. Lock the clutches again and press the goto home button again, if it's right it shouldn't move, or very little.

7. From the home position goto your target.

8. Whenever you start a new target it's recommended to slew back to the home position before slewing to the new target, at least this way you can roughly physically check the alignment is still accurate.

Further point to the above, as you may have made physical adjustments always good to recheck your polar alignment before commencing imaging.

Thank you @Elp. That's a good clear workflow for anyone to follow. Hopefully this has helped your issues you were having. 👍

A slight diversion from the very latest chat, however some of the scopes I've tried with the AZGTi...

ST120. Seemed OK at first but proved too heavy - the mount started ticking...

IMG_20200126_223828522.thumb.jpg.db5d2eb7c74a15324260c823ca63098c.jpg

Skymax 102. Perfect but just sold. I've been considering selling the AZGTi but it's just so good at grab and go. I may buy a 127mm Mak or SCT.

428449102_IMG_20200424_1801225613.thumb.jpg.a25556d7eaeafb822c145679226eb58e.jpg

A P150i with upgraded focuser and tube rings added. I'm trying to remember why I sold that scope! 

173086545_IMG_20200615_0231581252.thumb.jpg.c65157be9ca2e1a22f50224363fc5b1a.jpg

The Altair Ascent 102ED. Too heavy and long. A used Celestron AVX mount saved the day.

1708654639_IMG_20210416_2147521792.thumb.jpg.dea59ba45615408bcb19a399e094cdc4.jpg

A cheap used Canon 450D with zoom lens practicing lunar shots in alt az mode still.

1489378651_IMG_20210416_2131458142.thumb.jpg.0f0c99d0312fc2db9c3fabcee8a5c6db.jpg

A versatile and quite cheap mount. 👍

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

A slight diversion from the very latest chat, however some of the scopes I've tried with the AZGTi...

Skymax 102. Perfect but just sold. I've been considering selling the AZGTi but it's just so good at grab and go. I may buy a 127mm Mak or SCT.

428449102_IMG_20200424_1801225613.thumb.jpg.a25556d7eaeafb822c145679226eb58e.jpg

A P150i with upgraded focuser and tube rings added. I'm trying to remember why I sold that scope! 

173086545_IMG_20200615_0231581252.thumb.jpg.c65157be9ca2e1a22f50224363fc5b1a.jpg

The Altair Ascent 102ED. Too heavy and long. A used Celestron AVX mount saved the day.

1708654639_IMG_20210416_2147521792.thumb.jpg.dea59ba45615408bcb19a399e094cdc4.jpg

A cheap used Canon 450D with zoom lens practicing lunar shots in alt az mode still.

1489378651_IMG_20210416_2131458142.thumb.jpg.0f0c99d0312fc2db9c3fabcee8a5c6db.jpg

Brilliant setups you have had there and lots of use. The 102 mak set up got me drooling haha. The 127 mak is a beautiful addition to the az gti. 👍

16 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Brilliant setups you have had there and lots of use. The 102 mak set up got me drooling haha. The 127 mak is a beautiful addition to the az gti. 👍

Ty. The 102 Mak was a bit bouncy on the L bracket tbh. I ended up mounting it sideways straight onto the mount and used a RACI 30mm finder with a long stalked bracket.

Another sales regret is definitely my first 130PS. I bought the AZGTI afterward but they would have been a perfect match and that was a fun scope.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

yeah , the 120 is a step too far , i think. But it looks good on the mount 

Just now, Stu1smartcookie said:

yeah , the 120 is a step too far , i think. But it looks good on the mount 

Yeah. It worked OK but the ticking started and I decided for longevity sake to stop, then I found the P150i tube - a new customer return. Cheap as chips and brilliant with the focuser upgrade. To aid balancing, the existing vixen dovetail was removed and replaced with tube rings. It looked great too... 🙄 That setup served me well during Mars opposition 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Ty. The 102 Mak was a bit bouncy on the L bracket tbh. I ended up mounting it sideways straight onto the mount and used a RACI 30mm finder with a long stalked bracket.

Another sales regret is definitely my first 130PS. I bought the AZGTI afterward but they would have been a perfect match and that was a fun scope.

I'm sure the 102 was quite rock solid mounted straight to the mount. The 127 had a bit of wobble on my az gti mount but settled in a few seconds, maybe even better with a adm saddle and skywatcher 3/8 " steel tripod though. I was tempted by your 102 at the time. 😉

Edited by AstroNebulee

47 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Yeah. It worked OK but the ticking started and I decided for longevity sake to stop, then I found the P150i tube - a new customer return. Cheap as chips and brilliant with the focuser upgrade. To aid balancing, the existing vixen dovetail was removed and replaced with tube rings. It looked great too... 🙄 That setup served me well during Mars opposition 2020.

And was one that i was sorely tempted by when you had it up for sale

:) 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I'm sure the 102 was quite rock solid mounted straight to the mount. The 127 had a bit of wobble on my az gti mount but settled in a few seconds, maybe even better with a adm saddle and skywatcher 3/8 " ate tripod though. I was tempted by your 102 at the time. 😉

The 102 was solid indeed with the ADM saddle. However I found myself using the 102mm refractor 99% of the time and owning decent binoculars, wasn't using the Mak on trips, so it went. Sold after eighteen months use on *bay for £6 less than I paid for it. 😀

The intention really was to sell the AZGTi but the 127 Mak is calling out to me lol.

• Like 1

A question for all you EQ Mode users.

Just about to mount my newly acquired AZ-GTI on my WO wedge and then realised that what would become the RA axis (Az) is at 90degrees to my Star adventurer RA axis. So Altitude of Star Adventurer is currently set to 52 Degrees on the wedge so when i mount the AZ-GTI i presume i need to reduce this 38 degrees (90-52) before trying a PA. Or am i seeing this all wrong?

Ray.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RayWUK said:

Just about to mount my newly acquired AZ-GTI on my WO wedge and then realised that what would become the RA axis (Az) is at 90degrees to my Star adventurer RA axis. So Altitude of Star Adventurer is currently set to 52 Degrees on the wedge so when i mount the AZ-GTI i presume i need to reduce this 38 degrees (90-52) before trying a PA. Or am i seeing this all wrong?

Ray.

That is correct method

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The 102 was solid indeed with the ADM saddle. However I found myself using the 102mm refractor 99% of the time and owning decent binoculars, wasn't using the Mak on trips, so it went. Sold after eighteen months use on *bay for £6 less than I paid for it. 😀

The intention really was to sell the AZGTi but the 127 Mak is calling out to me lol.

You did well with the sale of the 102. I am see why the 102 refractor got more use being more Widefield. 

The 127 mak and az gti are a perfect pairing 😁

38 minutes ago, RayWUK said:

Ray.

You are correct Ray it would be 38 degrees for you. 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1